PDA

View Full Version : Why my saturday SUCKED!

ChromeGorilla
09-04-2005, 11:07 AM
OK, so we leave the house early to drop off the dogs at the kennel and meet our friends. We want to get to Silver Glen springs fairly early because on holidays it gets packed early.....

So going down 95 some old dude pulls along side and starts pointing back at the trailer. So I I pull off the exit to see whats wrong. As I pull into the parking lotwhile driving through a puddle I hear POW! pssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss. I'm like ah ****. I hop out the truck and not 20 seconds later my front right well on the truck had ZERO air in it. Completely flat. I ran over a piece of scrap metal in the parking lot that I didn't see. So I put the spare on the truck, no problem.

So I go back and check out the trailer. I check air pressure in all wheels and they are fine. check the tire for overall condition. i dont see any problems. So now, behind schedule, we go drop off dogs and head down to the ramp. (About a 80 mile tow from my house) We launch and have an awesome day on the water (only thing that was keeping me sane).

End of day we we pull out and grab pizza. the off we go to pick up dogs at kennel before 6PM. well, rollin back up 95 I heard clunk, clunk and I look up and see the tire tread come flying off my front right wheel on the trailer. Goes flying through the air. My friends pull along side and I wave them on to go pick up their dogs and our dogs at the kennel. OK no problem right? I got a spare. Well I take lug nut 1 off, 2,3 and 4. Well as I'm taking last one off the stud strips out . now when I turn the nut the stud spins with it. I'm focked. i can't get the wheel off now. had to wait for my buddy to bring some power tools. We hack the **** out of the stud and nut with a drill and finally knocked the hell out of it with a hammer. We eventually get it off and I roll home on the spare.

What a pain in the ass. But like I said all that wasn't so bad cuz I had a good day on the water.

MOP
09-04-2005, 01:16 PM
I feel for you its a bugger when the joy of a nice day is spoiled!

Phil

Cuda
09-04-2005, 04:09 PM
Scott, buy a spare hub and put it on the spare wheel. That way if you have any lug problems, just undo the wheel bearing and take it off hub and all. I've had to do this to a few saltwater wheels when the lug nuts rusted so bad they rounded right off. Also, if you fry a bearing, you are ready to go.

I think the last hub I bought including bearings was only around $32 as I recall.

Formula Jr
09-04-2005, 05:52 PM
Great point Cuda!
As one who has towed a bit, you start thinking outside the box of just tires, tread and air. Just make sure you get the RIGHT hub!!

goatee
09-05-2005, 01:07 AM
still wanna know what the guy was pointing at..???
chrome ,,, the worst may yet to come.

maybe he was just pointing at what a nice boat you have?????

Cuda
09-05-2005, 08:43 AM
CG, get any pictures?

ChromeGorilla
09-05-2005, 09:54 AM
MP, I always travel with 3 spares. One for the truck, one for the trailer and one for me. :wink: