PDA

View Full Version : Need buying tips

Mr.Lauderdale
09-03-2005, 12:24 AM
Im looking to get my first boat and was wondering if anyone had some tips/suggestions for a first time buyer. I have made up my mind that I want to get a classic 16 (budget 12k). With that said Im wondering about the problems I might encounter by buying a 10 year old boat with the original motor. Another option would be to purchase a hull and just have it repowered with a factory new motor. Anyones thoughts on this would be appreciated. Couple more questions I have....

What are usually the problem areas with the Donzi 16(anything in particular that I should look for)?

Does anyone know of a reputable mechanic in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl?

Dr. Dan
09-03-2005, 06:44 AM
:spongebob Welcome... I appreciate your circumstances... always alot of questions. I would suggest you use the "Search Feature" on the Tab Menu and plug in some different key words.. do some reading...there is a ton of info. here. Alot of very knowledgeable people and even a few Idiots like me? :smash:

But other than me , most of these folks can steer ya right....as far as different Models or Various problems... again...sit down with your beverage of choice...and start searching...as you get more educated...you will be able to post "specific questions".

Again welcome aboard... if I were you I would leave now...while ya still have some cash in the Bank.

Good Luck

Doc of the Bay :beer:

Cuda
09-03-2005, 07:53 AM
I think you should be able to find a very nice 16 in that price range. I wouldn't worry so much about the age or hours of a boat, as I would the condition that it has been kept. I'd much rather have an older, high hour boat that has been treated with love and respect, than a newer one that's been rode hard and put away wet.

Good luck on your search, and let us know what you get. :)

mattyboy
09-03-2005, 08:27 AM
welcome to the jungle :)
as an owner of an old 16 things to take into account

the 16 is a great boat but it must be driven it is not a point and go boat you must have trim, tabs, throttle settings the water ahead of you in mind at all times this is true of any boat but having driven a 20 cig and a 22 they are a little more forgiving waves that would send me skyward in the 16 seem to be little bumps in bigger boats this applie snot only when on plane but when idling i have taken a few big wakes over the bow
the 16 can be a wet ride

First you have to figure what water you're running in?? lakes or bay/ocean
at 12k for a few more dollars you might find a good 18

what type of driving and with who???
the passengers can take a beating in a 16 in big water and are we cruising, blasting, or putting around

storage little to none

find a 2+2 if you can

in older 16 things to look at are

fuel tanks in pre 71-72 boats or so, tanks were steel and rot , after that time they are aluminium but still can corrode
deck coring can get wet and rot causing a soft deck
same for the transom

tabs can be a plus

a merc setup with trim is a plus if you plan on doing repairs yourself or if a mech is gonna do it Merc is the way to go plus more selection in hi-po stuff and props, omc and volvo boats have strong drives(omc king cobra the non king had some issues) and can be worked on yourself I do and I am mech challenged but props and hi-po stuff can be hard to come by

you need a good prop no I take that back you need the right prop
the 16 can and will porpoise if not set up right

the 16 is a great boat i love mine, but there are certain times where I feel we need a bigger boat and then there's time I feel I will be buried in my 16

any questions feel free I answer what i can

good luck