PDA

View Full Version : Some 33ZX info - after 1 year.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
09-02-2005, 09:10 PM
NO DOUBT the boat is a top performer in the rough or snot.
After 1 year of ownership here are a couple rants.

- Mounting of the fresh water pump to the port hull under the sink with 4 screws that only dig in 1/8 of an inch! Not a good install idea, why? Because when it busts loose there is not enough slack in the wires to still operate, ground wire was tight, and broke.

- Microwave, initial install looks good but it is loose fitting, and needed modified.

- Two HO motors, one bilge drain hole, I guess Donzi thought the owner would clothes hanger with duct tape the HO oil drain hoses through the single whole one at a time to change oil.... Oh, I am still picking up the last of a dozen extra washers left in my bildge that a genie could not get too....

- 1200 Watt amp mounted with little ventilation, kicks off when hot.

My fix, is to fix these lapses in design and QA this winter to keep this boat perfect, especially for the next guy. So guys when you see my boat for sale some day, rest assured these items are all fixed.

On a high note, Donzi is still the boat to own. Steve designed some great hulls. Plus Donzi still takes all my calls (and returns them) about trivial crap and gives me the answers I need, therefore my next boat WILL BE A DONZI.
Thanks Tony V.

So, that is my rave for a week of non boating fixing what sounds like small issues, but, have you ever squeezed a 6'6" 210 pound frame under a sink door that is 12x12? I look like I lost a cat fight. But I am ready for a 250 mile weekend, not fearing any waters here.

This was an FYI post. I LOVE THIS BOAT, SHE ROCKS. Just trying to spread some data.

Bryan (Ready for a 38ZR)
Donzi 33ZX
Z-RATED

fasttrucker
09-05-2005, 08:38 AM
Good to here you are still happy with your 33zx. How about posting your fuel data?...You must be spending some big$$$$.It might make me feel better :cistineb: about mine. :bawling:

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
09-05-2005, 09:03 AM
Saturdays run was an easy going on, 3700 3800 RPM, 52-54 MPH close to 100 miles we got 1.16 MPG. I did open her up once for a couple minutes to get on top of some bigger water on the way home in the bay.

I use 1 per as a rule of thumb.

Yep, still very happy with her.
Bryan

fasttrucker
09-05-2005, 07:16 PM
Have you a gal. per hour figure/per tank fill-up.Thats what Ive been looking at.Iam going to fill-up this week for Rock the bay poker run.Price of fuel has gone-up alot.

undertaker
09-06-2005, 09:26 AM
Bryan great to hear you are having fun with your 33ZX, the 33 is a great boat do miss mine at times, but I really love the 22 classic. Your fixes are right on the mark they are minor but will make a good boat even better. Talk to ya.

Undertaker

RHMUIR
09-07-2005, 11:30 PM
Does your 33zx have a drain in the anchor locker? Mine does not. Secondly if you are using a GPS plotter, where did you mouunt it. Bob

RickSE
09-08-2005, 12:47 PM
Bryan,
My dad finally pulled his 33ZX out a couple of weeks ago and ran it on the bay. This is the first time he's had the boat out back east and says he ran it up to around 84-MPH. Wish I could have been there. I'm assuming he went out up near Havre de Grace. Anyway, like you he's considering selling in order to buy a 35ZR but I believe he has decided to stay with the 33ZX; not worth the $40-$50K to move up.

mjpcowboy
09-08-2005, 04:31 PM
$40-$50 trade difference from a year old 33ZX to a 35ZR would actually be a good deal. I would trade my 33 in a minute for that type of figure. The 33 is a great boat and I have loved mine since the day I got it. I would like to move to the ZR at some point.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
09-08-2005, 09:41 PM
Yes, my anchor locker has a through hull drain.
I do have a Chartplotter, I mouted it to the right of the digital compass.

RICK - I hear ya, I am transitioning to the civilian world next Spring, so I will wait until then IF I make a boat move. If I end up in DC who knows, if I end up at Wallops Island I will keep the 33ZX.
Bryan