PDA

View Full Version : Will a Gen I Alpha work on a Gen II gimble?

ITTLFLI
09-02-2005, 09:10 AM
Will a Gen I Alpha work on a Gen II gimble?

Thanks!

MOP
09-02-2005, 09:18 AM
Will a Gen I Alpha work on a Gen II gimble?

Thanks!

Drop Jamie (Rootsy) a note he has been there done that!

Phil

Rootsy
09-02-2005, 09:37 AM
yes it will and yes i have.. on 2 or 3 occassions... basically to put an alpha SS on a Gen II gimble... bout an hour of disassembly, hour of assembly, hour on the milling machine, half hour on the lathe and an overnight stint with some aluminum bedded devcon, a few parts from the GEN I transom assy and a quick shift cable adjustment for good measure and you are on your way... works like a charm...

JR

ITTLFLI
09-02-2005, 10:02 AM
yes it will and yes i have.. on 2 or 3 occassions... basically to put an alpha SS on a Gen II gimble... bout an hour of disassembly, hour of assembly, hour on the milling machine, half hour on the lathe and an overnight stint with some aluminum bedded devcon, a few parts from the GEN I transom assy and a quick shift cable adjustment for good measure and you are on your way... works like a charm...

JR

So its not as simple as just bolting it up and go? I have a gen II boat that I want to put a Gen I on for the weekend.....

Rootsy
09-02-2005, 10:09 AM
no it will not just "bolt up" the shift shaft area needs to be machined and epoxied, shift shafts swapped out and spacers have to be made for the trim rams...

ITTLFLI
09-02-2005, 10:14 AM
no it will not just "bolt up" the shift shaft area needs to be machined and epoxied, shift shafts swapped out and spacers have to be made for the trim rams...

Thanks! I guess I will just wait til I get the GEN II put back together. :beer:

Rootsy
09-02-2005, 10:17 AM
that should only take 4 or 5 hours :beer:

one OTHER option is to find a GEN I bellhousing and swap it with the Gen II in the Gimble ring... i have NOT done this specifically but i have looked it over and taken some measurements... it SHOULD work i believe... should take an hour and a half to do if the bellows and hose agree with you... still have to make some spacers for the trim rams where they mount on the aft of the drive...

ITTLFLI
09-02-2005, 01:29 PM
that should only take 4 or 5 hours :beer:

one OTHER option is to find a GEN I bellhousing and swap it with the Gen II in the Gimble ring... i have NOT done this specifically but i have looked it over and taken some measurements... it SHOULD work i believe... should take an hour and a half to do if the bellows and hose agree with you... still have to make some spacers for the trim rams where they mount on the aft of the drive...

Rootsy,

Thanks! I think I will just take the 22 out! The little boat can wait!! :sombrero: