PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane update in Mobile, AL!

apollo24
09-01-2005, 03:39 PM
The marinas are pretty much complete losses from Gulf Shores to probably Houston. Luckily, I didn't leave my Donzi in my neighbor's garage as I sometimes do, because a huge oak tree pancaked it! My 27' sailboat ended up a quarter of a mile away 15 feet high in thick woods. Anyone have a helo I can borrow for a few days?

They are saying no power here for probably another week or three. I have a house full of refugees who lost theirs completely on the MS Gulf Coast and New Orleans- NOTHING left but their lots, often with someone else's house remains on them- and they cannot go back there for at least a month. I have been bitching about gas prices and no power, but at least I have something to go home to. It changes things when you see your friends come over with nothing and having to go to the mall to buy clothes for their kids (who don't really understand what has happened and don't know that all their friends they went to school with are scattered throughout the South).

As for a lot of folks, it was very foolish to assume that New Orleans or the MS Gulf Coast was safe. The probability of this situation has been increasing for years. Everyone I know who resides there left ahead of time because they assumed the worst. There were plenty of public ways out of there, too. All I have to say is: Houston, get ready for a zillion hungry refugees with no jobs, no money, bad attitudes and sticky fingers- all waiting for another handout. Lock your doors and hide your daughters!

Seriously, it's a bad situation for a lot of folks. I have been impressed with the hospitality people in my area have shown to those who have had it worse than others.

I personally have made friends with the neighborhood because they realized that I had 80 gallons of gas sitting in two boats in my driveway. I am running a lot of generators in exchange for meals and air conditioning! Our whole city has been out of gas until today, and now the lines are a mile long at some stations. Many cars are being pushed in the lines. Isn't that nuts?

.....pictures to come

-Apollo

Sagbay32
09-01-2005, 03:51 PM
Apollo,
Thank you for the stories. It is interesting to get a first hand account of what it is like down there. We were in GA and AL last week visiting reletives and didn't really think about the impact the surrounding communities were to receive. I hope your situation improves. It would be crazy to be without power for weeks or even months.

keep the reports coming

Mike

apollo24
09-02-2005, 10:41 AM
Thanks, MadPoodle!

We are aok for now. The power is coming back on near me, which leads me to believe I will have power in a couple of days.

If you could send a truck up with 500 gallons of gas, ice, cold beverages and prophylactics, we could both bank here right now :) These are all in high demand.

The good thing is that the gas prices haven't gone up too much; the bad thing is that it is still a several hour wait.

This is a good time to do some reading!

Cheers, B

p729lws
09-06-2005, 10:16 PM
Ben,
How did BYC make out?

I'm making a run from P'cola to Biloxi / Gulfport on Thursday. Give me a heads up if you need anyhing.
Dan