PDA

View Full Version : Who the hell would buy a new boat with a carburator????

gold-n-rod
08-31-2005, 10:01 PM
A recent Boating magazine had a Mercruiser ad touting carburated engines with TKS (turn key starting). Who the hell would buy a new boat with a carb??!?!!??!

Should GM advertise a 3 speed auto trans? Or a dual point distributor? Or bias ply tires? I don't think so.

Must be the carbed engines are taking up space in the warehouse and it's time to "blow them out!!!'

onesubdrvr
08-31-2005, 10:20 PM
A recent Boating magazine had a Mercruiser ad touting carburated engines with TKS (turn key starting). Who the hell would buy a new boat with a carb??!?!!??!

Should GM advertise a 3 speed auto trans? Or a dual point distributor? Or bias ply tires? I don't think so.

Must be the carbed engines are taking up space in the warehouse and it's time to "blow them out!!!'
Well, I can see both sides,.....I am comfortable working on a carb. engine, but lack the experience when it comes to EFI / etc. However, as a new motor, I'd take it for warranty work in case of failure anyway, so,....

But, yes, I would buy a new boat with a carbed engine there is something to be said for simplicity.

Wayne

Moody Blu'
08-31-2005, 10:30 PM
hmm, I would. id rather look into it myself then have to take in my boat for waranty work and waste my prescious weekends. the simplicity thing is a big plus too, with a carb all you need is fuel and spark. with injection you need fuel spark and power for the injectors and all the other crap.

I think most race engines have carbs on them instead of fuel injection, I could be wrong though.

gcarter
09-01-2005, 05:46 AM
Do y'all remember the ECM problems Legend had in the Bahamas?
Brand new engine, and the best minds on the board couldn't quite target the problem.
There it sat!!!!
Might as well have been an anchor!

Carl C
09-01-2005, 07:59 AM
I wonder if "turn-key starting" means it is a feed-back carb like the ones that preceded EFI. These use the sensors and ECU similar to EFI combined with a solenoid in the carb to adj. air/fuel ratio. TKS should also mean no acc. pump to pump or choke to set. This is the worst of both worlds.

joseph m. hahnl
09-01-2005, 08:35 PM

look at it this way nascar "racing cars " use carbuerators."drag cars" use carbuerators. mpi is limited in hp upgrade. fuel injection was invented for fuel economy"fuel efficiency" and polution control. and lets not forget the driving factor of any thing manufactured . it's most likely cheaper to make.

it more like gm advertising: rear wheel drive. manual transmission
think about this an automatic transmision is standard the manual is an option.

joe

Moody Blu'
09-01-2005, 09:15 PM
heres an example:

say you have 2 350 chevies (in seperate boats)and you just swapped identical cams for more lift and bought worked heads for both.One is carbureated and the other is fuel injected. In some situations you would have to buy a larger carb for the motor for maximum output. but you can still jet the carb that was on it to run with the setup as is.
The fuel injected motor will have to be reprogrammed to enrich the jetting The injectors may have to be swapped for larger ones if there pushing there max already and the fuel pump may have to be upgraded as well.

the efficiency is the point of the efi like said before, but once you start hopping them up that efficiency turns into more money to be spent to get the same horsepower as a carb.