PDA

View Full Version : 350 Mag MPI flame arrestor

hyperlite98
08-30-2005, 11:48 AM
Hi,

Looking to swap out the original stock arrestor for something with some more airflow. I have heard that the K&N doesn't work that well, and Gaffrig doesn't make one for an MPI engine. I have found this one on ebay "The Unrestrictor" http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MPI-marine-performance-low-restriction-flame-arresters_W0QQitemZ4570732519QQcategoryZ31286QQrdZ 1QQcmdZViewItem

Anyone have any luck with this? Can you recommend one? Is it even worth replacing the stock arrestor?

thanks,

Jeff

Rootsy
08-30-2005, 12:07 PM
40% increase in flow huh... ask em to back that claim up with some test data eh.... 139 bucks... i wouldn't spend it if it was my cash...

GKricheldorf
08-30-2005, 12:30 PM
I think most people myself included tend to over oil the K&N filter. Once i started oiling all mine correctly it didn't seem to gunk up as much. I don't have on on my boat, but i do have them in all my other vehicles.

txtaz
08-30-2005, 12:36 PM
hyperlite,
I yanked my flame arrestor for testing one day just to see what the difference was. There was none. Just make sure to keep it clean.
Wes

Sam
08-30-2005, 02:11 PM
I have a K&N on my boat and have never oiled it. It appears to be as clean as the day I bought it. I thought the only time you needed to oil them was after you wash them.......I'm I missing something here.

RedDog
08-30-2005, 02:18 PM
I have a K&N on my boat and have never oiled it. It appears to be as clean as the day I bought it. I thought the only time you needed to oil them was after you wash them.......I'm I missing something here.

The oil is supposed to make the filtration capability more efficient - you can find the cleaner and oiler kit at your local autoparts store.

GKricheldorf
08-30-2005, 02:25 PM
Those do come pre-oiled and if it is not dirty then don't bother cleaning it until it is really, really dirty(if that can happen on a boat).

Rootsy
08-30-2005, 02:33 PM
to follow along with txtaz.... my mouse is a little over 400 ponies... i've run it with and without the flame arrester.. and i run a stock zenith flame arrester, btw, and i saw ZERO GPS gain or loss.. the day i ran all of my top speeds were within 1 mph of each other...

i picked up more speed my running with my hatch OFF than i did without the arrester... heat out - gooood... fresh air in - gooood...