PDA

View Full Version : Oops......can't believe I'm admitting it...

Uncle Fester
08-29-2005, 10:54 PM
Who else has forgotten the ever important drain plug...:banghead: :kaioken: :shocking:

We were in a hurry yesterday and on a time limit. Went to a busy launch that we hardly ever go to. Thought we were cool because Kat got out and got the lines on while I was down the ramp and took up less than 3 minutes of dock time.

Took off across the river at an idle til the temp got up to about 140. Went to punch the gas and it wouldn't come up on plane...:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Looked back and it seemed that the back was riding low in the water. I asked "did you check the drain plug"......"thought you did" was the reply.

5 minutes of idling in the river and the boat is full of water...:shocking: :shocking: :shocking: :shocking:

Docks are full of boats, can't get on a plane and panic sets in. Back of the boat is riding really low in the water. Looks like I'm doing a wheelee back to shore.

Found a spot just up river from the launch where there was only about 100,000 boulders to run the boat up on to keep it from sinking. Ran back to the launch and got the plug from the truck and went swimming to put it in.

No damage to the hull from running up in the rocks (that I can see). Mangaged to mangle the $hit out of a $1000 prop because of it.

Question is: what is the best way to handle this situation?

Idling out from the dock seemed normal. After finding out what was going on I paniced to get back to shore ASAP. Seems that the bilge was doing better keeping up with the idle speed than "wheeleeing" back to shore. How do you not panic to get back as fast as possible? What is the best way to get back? What will help siphon the water out or keep it from coming in?

Needless to say....lesson learned is your never to pressured at the ramp. No matter how busy they are your time is YOUR TIME. Take it!!!!!!!!!! We are still shaking from yesterday's mishap and how close we were to losing the Donzi.

Fester

Magicallbill
08-29-2005, 11:07 PM
I always put the plug back in after I wash the boat at the end of a trip..
Then it just stays in 'till the end of the next jaunt.
Having said that, I have the boat stored inside.
If yours is outside, exposed to rain, then you just have to remember it, I guess.
Of course, I'll bet you won't forget it again,anyway.
Glad your boat is OK..Any keel damage from the rocks that you've recently discovered?
Magical Bill

JPR
08-29-2005, 11:24 PM
First of all, I think we've all done it once, second no one was hurt, third the $1,000 will help you to remember never to do it again!

Thank you for the post, tough thing to admit, but I bet your story has most of us thinking about a contingency plan. My bilge pump is 2,000 gpm, so I would have had more time, but maybe going over the side and trying to plug it with something (a cork, a sock?) would have been the # 1 option. I think I'll put a spare plug in the boat, maybe attach it to the shifter cable with a cable tie.

Anyway, forewarned is forearmed, thanks for the heads up, could have just as easily been me and I might not have 'fessed up!

Uncle Fester
08-29-2005, 11:24 PM
Always pull the plug on the ramp when pulling out and reinstall. Habit to check that it's there before launching (except this time). Don't know if it's neighbor kids or if the vindictive ex-wife is involved in its removal prior to this launch.

Have ran through my mind everything that went on in our previous outing and I swear I reinstalled it after it drained on the ramp.

Luckily I had a spare in the truck.

No damage other than the prop that I can see. Probably gonna run me about $350 to have her fixed

pmreed
08-29-2005, 11:39 PM
Put a hole in the plug (if you're using the real thing) and attach it to your boat key chain after you retrieve the boat. Leave it there. Except when you go boating. It'll be obvious if you forget!!

Phil

ChromeGorilla
08-30-2005, 01:26 AM
My plug is attached to the oil easy drain, so if I ever did forget, I could just jump in water and screw it in. Another thing i have seen done, is carry a spare plug on the boat for situations just like that. then you don't have to run back to the ramp.

Dr. Dan
08-30-2005, 05:32 AM
:spongebob
My plug is attached to the oil easy drain, so if I ever did forget, I could just jump in water and screw it in. Another thing i have seen done, is carry a spare plug on the boat for situations just like that. then you don't have to run back to the ramp.

:spongebob I have like at least 3 plugs, I keep one in the Glove Box of the Tow Vehicle, One in the Rear Storage of the Tow Vehicle(where all my Tow Harnesses are etc.) and I keep at least one in a Tool Bag that is on the Boat.

I am always amazed, for as cheap as these little items are, we tend to not be Masters of Our Own Universe? I am the biggest idiot, and I try to plan accordingly...I like to make things idiot proof...sometimes its impossible.

Once I forgot to pull my Drive Cylinder Tow Bracket Supports...couldn't figure out why it wouldn't trim down...Hmmmm Dumb ****!

I look at it kinda like what they say about Boaters Who have Run Aground...

"There Are Two Types of Boaters In This World - Those That Have Run Aground ... and Those That Will!!! " :cool:

Stuff like this happens....the best way to avoid this as much as possible is to check and recheck - everything...and both of you do it, do it together and seperately...Liz and I have a routine...but both of us over lap each other. We both pretend we are alone, and we have to check all Straps,Plugs, Drive Heights and Lines and Fenders. I splash the Boat she lifts the Hatch Turns on the Blower, drops the Drive to Operating Level, and I park the Rig....it becomes a routine and a Habit...but its not perfect...I still catch myself forgetting something...the operative word is catching myself...

Try to relax and don't worry about others...stay focused, review what ya need to do in your minds eye... we all do it...and its a lesson for us all...Thanks For Sharing!

Its all Better.... Now... Call Poodle For a New Prop. :beer:

Doc :)

MOP
08-30-2005, 06:40 AM
I did the self same thing about two weeks ago, luckily I had not detached it from the trailer yet. I have two auto bilge pumps niether of which went off I got it out before it got that deep in the bilge. Makes one think that it is wise to have more bilge pump than the plug can flow, hmm wonder what a 1" hole does flow?

Phil

gcarter
08-30-2005, 06:46 AM
I suppose one big advantage of having my boat in a warehouse is the plug never comes out except when I'm recovering and then I drain it for a minute and reinstall.
I suppose if I left it outside, I'd have a boat full of water because I'd never think to remove it. :eek: :eek:

Woodsy
08-30-2005, 07:45 AM
I always carry 2 spare plugs in the glove box... one of those rubber "snap in types" and a regular brass plug. I use Murphy's law to my advantage... if I have the spare plug, I will never need it.

Woodsy

joel3078
08-30-2005, 07:49 AM
Yep done the forgot the plug also. Started out boating years ago with a pontoon boat. They don't need a plug so the habit of putting the plug in never got established. Here is what I use now as I always keep the boat trailer locked.

Put trailer key and brass plug inside this keychain float. Gotta get the key to unlock and trailer and low and behold, the plug is right there to remind ya to install it.

http://www.iboats.com/mall/image/vendor/3/big/546.jpg

mattyboy
08-30-2005, 07:58 AM
I hang my plug on the blower switch when it is not in have also seen people put it in one of the holes on a classic steering wheel, this way I see it and can always take a dip to put it in,plus I always ask my line person to check it
but on a few occasions in the rush to get in we have missed the plug or the trailer bracket on the drive that's a PITA to do in the water

Team Jefe
08-30-2005, 08:00 AM
Fester all good advice from experts in forgettting things....I too am like Danny, Woodsy and everyone else. I get stupid when it come to putting Jefe's Revenge in the water...GO, GO, GO, GO ! ! ! but I did learn a good lesson from a Seriously Anal Retentive Fishing Buddy...he has a check list, more that just a routine, an actual laminated list he follows religiously like an airline pilot. that way you don't forget anything.

My list starts with BIG BOLD TYPE: INSTALL PLUG

And Ends with DOUBLE CHECK THE PLUG.

I also call it out to whoever is with me. "The Plug is in" that way we all know what's happening.

Even still I carry spare plugs (Dan pegged it..they are cheap) and Woodsy had it too, carry one of the quickies with the rubber sleeve. I can even install that one into the plug hole from teh inside (not as easy with an inboard).

AND bilge pumps...Get teh biggest one you can find. A 1500 GPH Atwood is $28 at Academy. That's Cheap enough.

marcdups
08-30-2005, 08:27 AM
"There Are Two Types of Boaters In This World - Those That Have Run Aground ... and Those That Will!!! "

Dr Dan, If you have not run aground, you have not been anywhere!!!! :cistineb:

Cuda
08-30-2005, 08:44 AM
I would hope my automatic bilge would go off, signaling me that something is amiss. It doesn't seem like it would be a big job to rig a float switch to a warning buzzer at the dash to warn of high water.

2biguns
08-30-2005, 09:42 AM
I am very proud to announce that I was the winner of the 2005 f*ck up award for the 2nd year running on our group boat trip.

This spring we took our annual Cullman Boaters Boat Trip--this year from Guntersville, ALa to Chattanooga (which by the way is a GREAT DESTINATION for river boaters with the new Ross Landing and all the events). During a typical launch of our boat, I will back the boat down to the water and go through my pre-launch mental checklist. On this trip, Amy and I were inside the boat with friends handing us our luggage, coolers, etc. and allowing us to pack everything away. When the last bag was handed up, a buddy offered to back us in so off we went.

Boat launched great, truck parked and locked, keys exchanged and we were underway to Chattanooga. As soon as we came on plane I started checking things off in my brain for fear that I had forgotten something.

Beer--check
Radio--check
Luggage--check
Money--check
Reservation info--check
Maps--check
took baby to sitter--check
left contact info for sitter--check
boat full of gas--check
plug------
plug-----
plug-----

Holy sh*t. No plug. I then remembered having someone else back us in and not thinking about it. I told Amy we were in trouble (10 miles upriver) and told her why. She then said, "I asked you if you had put the plug in and you said yes." I had thought she had asked if I had brought my drugs (blood pressure).

We radioed the other boats and told them what had happened and we needed to head back to the trucks. As luck would have it, one buddy had a spare plug in his glove box and a shipmate willing to jump in and install the plug.

We were in our Formula and it's a fair piece down to the plug plus keep in mind that the Tennessee River is a fair bit chilly in mid-May. Our rescuer dove down using the outdrives as a guide and was able to get the plug installed. Needless to say it was free beer and food for him the rest of the trip.

That's just another one of those things that will never happen again. :shocking:

Carl C
08-30-2005, 10:48 AM
Always keep a spare in the boat. Jump in the water and stick that sucker in. Better yet, keep the boat garaged and leave the plug in. Donzis shouldn't be stored outside - they deserve better. Now - who else has taken off without pulling the anchor? I went halfway around the lake - don't know how the rope stayed out of the prop. These are both easy mistakes but you should only make them once.:lookaroun

BUIZILLA
08-30-2005, 11:03 AM
these can't be any worse, than the guy who's boat wouldn't come on plane, because the trailer was still attached... :bawling: :idea:

ChromeGorilla
08-30-2005, 11:19 AM
these can't be any worse, than the guy who's boat wouldn't come on plane, because the trailer was still attached... :bawling: :idea:

Sounds like Budmann in Palatka..... :yes: :biggrin:

Craig S
08-30-2005, 12:00 PM
IBeer--check
Radio--check
Luggage--check
Money--check
Reservation info--check
Maps--check
took baby to sitter--check
left contact info for sitter--check
boat full of gas--check
plug------
. :shocking:

Well, I see you prioritize!

2biguns
08-30-2005, 12:11 PM
Well, I see you prioritize!

A man has got to have his priorities. The ACTUAL checklist probably would be:

beer cooler full of beer and ice and placed under sink--check
spare beer cooler full of beer and placed in cuddy--check
spare beer in floor storage compartment--check
secret beer stash under couch in cuddy in case buddies discover spare beer stash and steal spare beer--check
:jestera: :jestera: :jestera:

Actually, I guess the proper quote should be:

"A man has got to now his limitations."

Dirty Harry

roadtrip se
08-30-2005, 12:19 PM
:spongebob

Once I forgot to pull my Drive Cylinder Tow Bracket Supports...couldn't figure out why it wouldn't trim down...Hmmmm Dumb ****!

Doc :)

on a pretty regular basis. Fortunately, the Danny and Liz system works pretty well at our house too. Once in awhile though, I still get a chance to sneak the boat off the trailer with them on, if she lets me. With the shortie, it creates all kinds of excitement behind us at the ramp...

I also make a point of saying "thank you" to Jill every time she reminds me to do something already completed on the pre-flight. The one time she doesn't mention it is probably the time I launch with the tow brackets on again.

Not proud, just getting senile...

gcarter
08-30-2005, 12:19 PM
Well, I did try to launch at the Suwanee in June with the rear straps still attached. I normally don't attach them unless I'm going some distance, so it's unusual to have them on. :idea:
Cuda, Budmann, and Fishboy were kind enough to not to mention it on this site. :biggrin:

DonziDave
09-02-2005, 02:36 PM
I have never left the plug out...I'm way too anal...However I did have one come out while running. Lucky that I had a spare. A good tip: If you have a spoke type steering wheel with holes drilled in the spokes, you will find that the plug will fit one of the holes. Good place to put it where you will see it.