PDA

View Full Version : You guys are killing me !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Victor Duque
08-29-2005, 06:35 PM
Something monumental has happened the "BOSS", my lovely wife has given me permission to spend 20K of my money....er.....our money on any boat of my choosing. The only condition is that it has to have great tunes, go figure? Today as usual I hunted the for sale forum only to find myself feeling frustrated by you lucky guys that own a stable of these boats. Like didn’t your parents teach you to share? Oh and lets not forget the want a be stable owners that wine about how frustrated they are not having the funds to purchase their second or third boat!. For Petes sake I have the money and cant find one that is for sale long enough for me to survey, talk about frustrated! So please fellows have a hart and let me come out and play. I only want one little old Black Hawk or even a 22 with a 502/bravo set up, mid eighties vintage, please, anybody give me some leads before the boss changes her mind and wants to buy something silly.

Lenny
08-29-2005, 06:53 PM
$20K won't work for any Blackhawk I have seen in the last 5 years, and it is iffy for a NICE 22. It WILL buy you a beautiful used 18 tho. Put $1500 aside for tunes after the fact, buy a pristine 18, 350 MAG MPI/BRAVO, if you can find the BRAVO, and go from there.

Note to self. If you see something you like you have to move... Instantly. After a few blow-outs and a few fixer-uppers to tide me over, I bought mine sight unseen in 6 minutes from posting. Even that was a long time for it to sit.

These things (good ones) move F A S T !!! :eek:

gcarter
08-29-2005, 07:02 PM
Well, your season is about over, isn't it?
Just wait a few months.....suddenly they are plentiful,and less expensive.

Dr. Dan
08-29-2005, 07:19 PM
:bonk: Vic...just a suggestion, we are having a Donzi Picnic on Lake George in New York on the 10th of September...check the Events Section for details. This would be a great time to come over and Picnic with Donzi Owners and research your aquisition prior to making a buying decision.

I would caution you to not let the money burn a hole in your pocket...take your time.... there are alot of boats in your range...in all sizes and varieties.
Slow Down....take your time...once you know what you're really after it will be easier to make the move when the time is right.

About 5 years ago I purchased my 1993 22 Classic with a Trailer for about what you are talking about. I have really enjoyed it...and I have since gone down the path of no return... you can look at our website and Event Pics at www.atlanticcoastdonzi.com .

Good Luck

Doc of the Bay :bonk:

TuxedoPk
08-29-2005, 09:03 PM
Here's a Blackhawk that could probably be had for $20k
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/0/8/80465108.htm

Formula Jr
08-29-2005, 09:23 PM
You might be able to find a clean ZX 26. Entry level small power. Then you can slowly make it faster..........

mrfixxall
08-29-2005, 09:28 PM
Something monumental has happened the "BOSS", my lovely wife has given me permission to spend 20K of my money....er.....our money on any boat of my choosing. The only condition is that it has to have great tunes, go figure? Today as usual I hunted the for sale forum only to find myself feeling frustrated by you lucky guys that own a stable of these boats. Like didn’t your parents teach you to share? Oh and lets not forget the want a be stable owners that wine about how frustrated they are not having the funds to purchase their second or third boat!. For Petes sake I have the money and cant find one that is for sale long enough for me to survey, talk about frustrated! So please fellows have a hart and let me come out and play. I only want one little old Black Hawk or even a 22 with a 502/bravo set up, mid eighties vintage, please, anybody give me some leads before the boss changes her mind and wants to buy something silly.

call bald knob marina in fox lake il. thay have a black and gold 22 that was in the water once and i think its a special edition.....

rustnrot
08-29-2005, 10:10 PM
The Blackhawk above, http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/0/8/80465108.htm was purchased just a couple of months ago from yesyoucan for $20k (yes that included the new trailer, Mark got that trailer about a year or so ago). He called Mark about a month after he got it and said the way it rode in the St. Lawrence "hurt his back". Nothing wrong with the boat it is just that it was not for him. He asked Mark if he had saved any of the phone numbers of the "interested parties". He did not.

Yes, that is also the boat that Bryant N. built.

CHACHI
08-30-2005, 06:21 AM
The Blackhawk above, http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/0/8/80465108.htm was purchased just a couple of months ago from yesyoucan for $20k (yes that included the new trailer, Mark got that trailer about a year or so ago). He called Mark about a month after he got it and said the way it rode in the St. Lawrence "hurt his back". Nothing wrong with the boat it is just that it was not for him. He asked Mark if he had saved any of the phone numbers of the "interested parties". He did not.

Yes, that is also the boat that Bryant N. built.The Blackhawk has a new gash on the side thru all three colors. It's not into the fiberglass mat. Owner did say that the ride hurt his back.

Woodsy
08-30-2005, 07:49 AM
I wouldn't recommend a BlackHawk for anyones first foray into a Donzi Classic. There are plenty odf other boats available, (including my 22 OB) that are well within your price range....

Woodsy

Team Jefe
08-30-2005, 08:15 AM
Victor - Dave beat me to the punch. His 22 OB is a ONE OF A KIND, super collectors boat - The only Factory Made 22 Classic Outboard, AND about an hours drive from you. I hesitate to say this cause I'm hoping Woodsy will just eventually give it to me since I can't afford to even Change my mind right now, but in all seriousness that is a Duece that could be had in your range.

I know there will be big debate on the Blackhawk issue, but I tend to agree with Dave. A Blackhawk Drive is a tricky thing and needs an expereinced hand to run it properly...No disrespect to you at all, but I've been running boats my whole life and the few time I have run a Blackhawk it seemed very strange.

roadtrip se
08-30-2005, 12:12 PM
call bald knob marina in fox lake il. thay have a black and gold 22 that was in the water once and i think its a special edition.....

Mike Miller aka Thriller on the board has been putting the hours on it these days. Started its journey to Canada with less than thirty hours on it. By some of the pictures I have seen posted of it running, he is having a good time with it to say the least.

I wouldn't recomend a BH Donzi as a first Donzi to anyone period.

Do a search here and you will see that plenty has been written on the topic.

Victor Duque
08-30-2005, 01:36 PM
Like the title states I really appreciate all the advise. I take no insult regarding the BH cautions. I do value your opinions, but just because I never owned a Donzi before doesn’t make me a total wet back you know. I grew up on the Hudson and was in and around the water most of my childhood. Prior to enlisting in the Coast Guard I considered myself as having sea legs. That was until I was humbled by the off shore duty I saw on a 82' class cutter. "OH MY GOD !!!!!!!!" are the choice words to describe some of the water I saw during those days. Regarding further experience I only know of one way to gain it, like the add says "just do it" SOooo...do any of you fellows know if Matt has the current BH owners number. With my luck in finding a boat somebody else will buy the BH and save my life before I even get a chance to talk to her new owner. Besides tomorrow I plan on going to look at a 94 vintage 22 with a 502 efi / bravo set up all original with 350 hours. The hours concern me, what do you guys think? Dave I checked out your boat pics, it’s a beauty, but I am not into ob’s. I guess matters are looking up for team Jefe getting one awesome Christmas present!

Woodsy
08-30-2005, 02:16 PM
Victor...

I don't think anyone meant to insult your boating abilities. The BH is by far and wide one of the most dangerous Donzi's ever built. Its a demanding mistress, really handful to drive especially in rough water, doesn't really like anything other than WOT, and drive replacements are getting scarce. There are very few BH owners who didn't break the drive during the learning curve. I know of several owners who sold thier BH boats after they scared the SH*T out of themselves with it. In one instance a guy died... All that being said, if your up for the challenge its an AWESOME boat!

I mentioned the other boats as an option because they are easier to find and cheaper to fix. A late 80's early 90's 22C will fit the bill nicely. SpankDawg has a nice 22C up here on Winni for sale. Its a great boat and within your price range. I only mentioned mine earlier because you could buy just the hull & trailer for 10K and put in a NEW bravo setup and be just over your budget with new power and a warranty.

You should try to make the trip up to Lake George for the fall picnic and try out a few different rides. If you are up on Winni test driving SpankDawgs boat, give me a call. It would be great to hook up with you! Also, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.. 978-502-5465

Woodsy

Victor Duque
08-30-2005, 02:48 PM
No insult taken I really do appreciate the advise, I am one step ahead of you regarding Spank Dawgs 22. I spoke to Dave this morning and plan on seeing it tomorrow afternoon. I must admit I am a bit concerned regarding the 300 + hours logged. But as the saying goes nothing ventured nothing gained. Thanks again Vic

DONZI
08-30-2005, 03:31 PM
Victor,
Welcome to the board. I see you are on the Cape.If you are primarily going to be boating on the ocean,you might want to look at the ZX'S also.You know how it goes there. Smooth in the morning, then look out.The added freeboard on the ZX'S might make all the difference. There nothing worse than looking at the water on a sunny day knowing the boat is back on the trailer because it's too rough.
I was down there 2 wk. ends ago and the boat never left the trailer.Conditions just weren't comfortable for the passengers i would have been carrying.It was a tough call, but the safer one.Just an example for you to take your time on your decision.

txtaz
08-30-2005, 03:37 PM
I must admit I am a bit concerned regarding the 300 + hours logged.
Vic, It's like everything else. How were those hours done and how often maintained? I put 150 hours on my boat last year, went through 3 cases of oil, tons o' filters and two water pumps. I runs better than when I got it. One thing about Donzi owners, they LOVE their boats and maintain them to near perfect condition. 300 hours wouldn't bother me if it was taken care of.
Wes

joseph m. hahnl
08-31-2005, 08:33 PM
Vic, It's like everything else. How were those hours done and how often maintained? I put 150 hours on my boat last year, went through 3 cases of oil, tons o' filters and two water pumps. I runs better than when I got it. One thing about Donzi owners, they LOVE their boats and maintain them to near perfect condition. 300 hours wouldn't bother me if it was taken care of.
Wes

Vic: i totally agree with Wes. 300 hrs is nothing to a well maintained boat.
and remember it's a chevy it's easy to get parts and trick kits for them.
and one other thing donzi' have a high roll at low speads and it takes a little seat time to get youst to the feeling.
so you might want to bring a roll of toilet paper just in case:shocking:

joe

Moody Blu'
08-31-2005, 10:47 PM
IMHO, low hours on a boat and drive seem to be the best way to get the best confidence in the boat. unless its a OLD classic with a repowered motor and fresh drive(or a good ole volvo). watch out for the bravos with high hours, they do tend to break , one out of water experience could cause a problem.