PDA

View Full Version : Flying Over Lake MI.

BaldEagle
08-29-2005, 12:23 PM
I was able to get a free Donzi flying lesson, courtesy of Brad, (White Lake 22C Blue) also had a chance to meet his son Matt, over the weekend. The 3-4 foot Lake MI rollers provided a nice course for arial work. Does anyone know a good chiropractor? For some reason my 18 was out of the water more then his 22. Did he forget to tell me something?
Thanks for the lesson Brad.
Also got to try out my new exhaust Tips. I did go with the semi-short (8-1/4") Corsa slash cut (as many recommended) and they look and sound nice. With the Quick & Quiet they didn't exactly install in a half hour but the bolt pattern was the same. Now if someone can tell me how to stop the clanging of the internal flappers at idle.

Trueser
08-29-2005, 01:02 PM
glad to see you swapped them out. We will be up there this weekend.

The last time I was up there I broke my window on the 22. Sticking a roller too slow

Already replaceded and ready to go.

Mike

BaldEagle
08-29-2005, 01:41 PM
Mike, it was good timing when we ran into Brad. Our 18 it was siting in the water and the gauges and ignition would go on but no starter. Brad happens to pull up to launch. We talked for a few minutes and I told him we would hopefully catch up later (if I got it started). Finailly found a loose 10 pin plug that must have gotten pulled a bit when the quick & quiet had to be moved to get the exhaust tips on. I'm going to try to get up next weekend but may not be able to be out to play until Sun afternoon.
Hope to see you sometime.
Jeff

gold-n-rod
08-29-2005, 03:04 PM
Also got to try out my new exhaust Tips. I did go with the semi-short (8-1/4") Corsa slash cut (as many recommended) and they look and sound nice. With the Quick & Quiet they didn't exactly install in a half hour but the bolt pattern was the same. Now if someone can tell me how to stop the clanging of the internal flappers at idle.

Baldy, those tips are gorgeous!!!!! And you have a very immaculate boat, to boot.

Tell me more about the new tips..... cost, the changeover procedure, change in noise level, etc.

I'd like to ditch my cans for those tips. Way to go!!!

boldts
08-29-2005, 03:22 PM
Hey BE. Exhaust tips look very nice. Do you know the year of Brad's 22C? Do you know how long he has had it? Sorry, reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to track down a medium blue 1998 22C that was sold up in MI. Mine was repoed and I have a lot of parts in my garage that had been removed for winterization. I'd like to get them to the new owner and most importantly, the boat they belong to. Appreciate any help you could provide.

Trueser
08-29-2005, 05:00 PM
Brads is a 1986 22 classic.

extremely nice...........................

And the 18 should be clean its brand new!

DonziBlue
08-29-2005, 05:04 PM
Jeff: Thanks for the nice ride along this past weekend. A friend of mine was on the pier when we went out. He watched us as we went out on the big lake. He stopped by my house later that day (he knows I wash the boat down after each ride :yes:) and asked who that other Donzi owner was. He said there was one jump that looked like you went vertical. I missed that one. I would have loved to see it <grin>. Did I leave something out? hmmmm :-)

Mike: Jeff's tips on the boat look great - and sound great too. I'm glad to hear you'll be up this weekend. Last week, for two evenings, I had auditors and consultants who were in town, and I took them out on the Donzi. They loved the "Donzi Experience" as they called it. See you this weekend.

Scott: My 22C is a 1987. I bought it from Byron a couple of years ago. I love the Blue on Honey color.

Keep flying high :biggrin:

BaldEagle
08-30-2005, 08:16 AM
Brad, there were a few times that we got some hang time. I don't know about the complete vertical but the pucker factor can distort your recall. Sensory overload kicks in.

Jeff

BaldEagle
08-30-2005, 03:57 PM
Gold-N-Rod

On the advice of Ranman, I went back to Corsa and found some tips that had the same mounting hole patttern as my stock Quick & Quiet system. If you go for slash cuts you should verify that the mounting hole pattern that you have is two holes on top (10:00 & 2:00) and one on bottom (6:00). If you get straights it won't matter because you can rotate the new ones. They come with three wood screws for mounting. You could epoxy the existing holes but I wanted to use them and though bolt the new tips using SS bolts and nylon lock nots. There was almost zero clearance between the nuts and the rubber flex hose on the inside that connected the Q&Q manifold to the old tips. On the starb side I had interferrence with the internal hyd. steering so I had to losen the Q&Q manifold to get to the bottom 6:00 nut. On the Port side I could reach all three nuts. If you don't have Q&Q you will save time. I was able to work the rubber sleeve loose from the outside by working the old exh. tip back and forth after it was unbolted. The new tips installed in the same hole and went into the flex inside withouyt a problem. The bolts holes were off slightly. Donzi probably mised the hole pattern a bit. The original bolts, which were integral with the stock tips, were bent slightly to fit. I just used smaller thru bolts and there was no problem. They will be plenty strong.
If you have the tools and the correct bolts, I used phillips # 10 x 3", and you don't have to losen the Q&Q, you should be able to do it in less than 2 Hrs.
The Corsa slash cuts are 8-1/4" to the tip. I was actually looking for some a little shorter (around 6") but these look nice. They sound slightly louder at idle but when you spool it up they have a nice throaty sound. I didn't do a before and after dB reading but I'm pleased. The only side effect I have noticed is that I'm getting a clanging at idle from the internal flappers. They have rubber seals over the two flapper blades but something rattles. I'll find it.
Jeff

onesubdrvr
08-30-2005, 04:09 PM
They have rubber seals over the two flapper blades but something rattles. I'll find it.
Jeff
It's the weight that holds the upper flap shut, that, and the fact it's a two piece flapper (hinge / etc).

Just a guess, but on my Corsa Side tips, that's what it is.

Wayne

gold-n-rod
08-30-2005, 04:11 PM
Gold-N-Rod

On the advice of Ranman, I went back to Corsa and found some tips that had the same mounting hole patttern as my stock Quick & Quiet system. If you go for slash cuts you should verify that the mounting hole pattern that you have is two holes on top (10:00 & 2:00) and one on bottom (6:00). If you get straights it won't matter because you can rotate the new ones. They come with three wood screws for mounting. You could epoxy the existing holes but I wanted to use them and though bolt the new tips using SS bolts and nylon lock nots. There was almost zero clearance between the nuts and the rubber flex hose on the inside that connected the Q&Q manifold to the old tips. On the starb side I had interferrence with the internal hyd. steering so I had to losen the Q&Q manifold to get to the bottom 6:00 nut. On the Port side I could reach all three nuts. If you don't have Q&Q you will save time. I was able to work the rubber sleeve loose from the outside by working the old exh. tip back and forth after it was unbolted. The new tips installed in the same hole and went into the flex inside withouyt a problem. The bolts holes were off slightly. Donzi probably mised the hole pattern a bit. The original bolts, which were integral with the stock tips, were bent slightly to fit. I just used smaller thru bolts and there was no problem. They will be plenty strong.
If you have the tools and the correct bolts, I used phillips # 10 x 3", and you don't have to losen the Q&Q, you should be able to do it in less than 2 Hrs.
The Corsa slash cuts are 8-1/4" to the tip. I was actutally looking for some a little shorter (around 6") but these look nice. They sound slightly louder at idle but when you spool it up they have a nice throaty sound. I didn't do a before and after dB reading but I'm pleased. The only side effect I have noticed is that I'm getting a clanging at idle from the internal flappers. They have rubber seals over the two flapper blades but something rattles. I'll find it.
Jeff

Thanks for taking the time to write this up, Jeff. It will help a lot. Are you saying the mouning bolds are part of the can? If so, how did you wiggle them to loosen the hold of the rubber hose?

If you don't mind, how much did you pay for the tips. You can PM me if you don't want to broadcast.

I appreciate your sharing this info. It's my next project.

Just Say N20
08-30-2005, 09:52 PM
BE,

As I was admiring your boat in the storage building before you went out last week end (and snapping some shots of it), I noticed something that has been changed on the 18. I believe you mentioned as to being a first time DONZI owner, so, I will point it out to you, so you can appreciate it all the more.

I don't know when they did it, but they moved the location of the gas fill from the center of the bow deck, to the port side, just in front of the windshield. RIGHT WHERE YOU CAN ACTUALLY REACH IT! What a concept.

I'm 5'8", and it used to be a royal pain for me to unscrew the gas cap, especially when the boat was on the trailer.

Sorry, but it's the attention to details that can really make a difference. You have a most excellent boat.

We were anchored near the south shore of White Lake in the 31 Express, near Lakeside Inn, on Sunday afternoon and heard you playing a little. I tried to get some shots with the video camera, but you were just too far away.

BaldEagle
09-01-2005, 06:37 PM
Gold-N-Rod

There was enough clearance to work the flex off of the old cans. It was up against the inside of the transom so it couldn't move with the can as I worked it out. There is enough clearance with the bolts and holes to walk it out. My bolts were part of the can. There were no head on the outside. I'll have a photo shortly, there is a problem uploading right now. Re cost they were 219/pair from Corsa.
Jeff

BaldEagle
09-01-2005, 09:36 PM
Wish we would have known you were there we would have definately geeked the camara. We took a little video with Brad but we have some wok to do before publi release. It was nice to hear how the new tips sounded and see the boat go. I got a a pretty good shot of Brad and Blue 22. Yes the gas fill is convenient. I've been trying to figure out whats different with the new Bravo-1. I understand they changed to a groved top for a while then someone told me they switched back again. The dealer said the casing was more streamlined. I'll have to throw the question out there.

BE

BE,

As I was admiring your boat in the storage building before you went out last week end (and snapping some shots of it), I noticed something that has been changed on the 18. I believe you mentioned as to being a first time DONZI owner, so, I will point it out to you, so you can appreciate it all the more.

I don't know when they did it, but they moved the location of the gas fill from the center of the bow deck, to the port side, just in front of the windshield. RIGHT WHERE YOU CAN ACTUALLY REACH IT! What a concept.

I'm 5'8", and it used to be a royal pain for me to unscrew the gas cap, especially when the boat was on the trailer.

Sorry, but it's the attention to details that can really make a difference. You have a most excellent boat.

We were anchored near the south shore of White Lake in the 31 Express, near Lakeside Inn, on Sunday afternoon and heard you playing a little. I tried to get some shots with the video camera, but you were just too far away.

BaldEagle
09-02-2005, 06:30 AM
Gold-N-Rod

There was enough clearance to work the flex off of the old cans. It was up against the inside of the transom so it couldn't move with the can as I worked it out. There is enough clearance with the bolts and holes to walk it out. My bolts were part of the can. There were no head on the outside. I'll have a photo shortly, there is a problem uploading right now. Re cost they were 219/pair from Corsa.
Jeff

gold-n-rod:
here are some photos of the old cans.
BE

Just Say N20
09-02-2005, 12:41 PM
Are you going to be around White Lake this week end?

I think we are heading up later tonight. You will see us in either of these boats.

BaldEagle
09-02-2005, 02:02 PM
We are going up to Portage lake for some family affair then coming back hopefully Sun morn. I will be upo for a short time this eve. We are actually directly accross form your cruise. In you picture our 18 jet boat is on the lift with the blue cover in the background and out cruiser hads the blue top just to the right of the jet boat. We were gong to take the cruiser up the lake but they are calling for 3-5 footer head seas coming and going. Too much work. BE

Are you going to be around White Lake this week end?

I think we are heading up later tonight. You will see us in either of these boats.