PDA

View Full Version : Hook In Hull

Zinger
08-28-2005, 05:42 PM
Can any performance be lost with a 1/2 hook in the hull , what else can it effect and is it worth straightening Thanks Jeff

boatnut
08-28-2005, 07:16 PM
That is a good question. Some hull mfgs intentionally put a small hook in the hull to enhance handling etc. I think the text book answer is that a straight hull has the most speed potential -- and of course afterplanes etc. can then be adjusted to meet specific conditions. My 18 has a slight hook and I don't know if it was intentional or accidental (sometimes if a boat is taken out of the mold too soon it can cause a slight hook, the thicker transom area cures differently than the thinner bottom areas). Also incorrect support on a trailer can cause a slight hook. However, my 18 handles superbly and with the manual trim offered by the older Volvo drive I get a loose high speed attitude that seems to be ideal. My 22 seems to have a very straight bottom (as best as I can tell with a 4' straight edge while the boat is on the trailer), and seems to have an inherent porpoise condition at mid range speeds that takes a lot of negative trim or tabs to correct. From my limited experience, a slight hook seems to help the classic donzi hull design. Ed