PDA

View Full Version : Variable Valve Actuation

Chili 18
08-28-2005, 01:57 AM
http://www.hotrocker.com/

How do you :wrench: cam experts :wrench: think these would work out on the water?

Interesting....

MOP
08-28-2005, 10:13 AM
Very interesting I would think it would work on any engine, soup up the engine without major surgery! I noticed that they have been making them for several years. I wonder why it has not popped up more often? I would like to find someone that has been using it for awhile ask how well it does work and if there are any durability issues.

Chili 18
08-28-2005, 02:08 PM
Yes Phil, some real world feedback would be great!! Looks like you could dial in the amount of cam lift you wanted. Or set it to auto for rpm based variation. Has some electronics for the shift motor. So long as its not spark prone in the engine compartment. The humidity could be an issue in there too. But it would probably be just fine..

Ill have to search around for some real world feedback...

In their example, top hp went from 176 to 265 on a 350 at 4000 rpm. 232-352 torque specs @ 4000 This was a 1.7:1 rocker ratio vs baseline 1.0:1

Very tempting....

Chili 18
08-28-2005, 04:09 PM
Ok.. I misinterpreted the performance gains at the top end. Seems most gm rockers are 1.5:1 standard. So the effect of reducing the rocker ratio would add more significant power going backwards. So that using the 1.1: 1 would be superior at lower rpms than the standard 1.5:1 At the top end their are gains all things being equal with the same hypothetical cam. On their specs page hp at 5000 rpm with a 1.5:1 ratio is 288. By shifting up to a 1.7:1. The power is now 315. So I guess the biggest potential use of this product could be from allowing a much bumpier cam for high rpms. But being able to dial it down to "behave" at lower rpms.

Then there is the subject of reversion. Is that the term?? For marine apps. My vague understanding is that marine cams do not overlap opening of the I and E to prevent or reduce the posibility of water in the exhaust being drawn into the cylender on the intake pull. Is this a factor at all engine speeds? or moreso at idle and lower speeds. This question would be a big factor in the variable ratio lifters useability in boats.

Any cam guru's here??

MOP
08-28-2005, 05:05 PM
I don't know much about cams we need some of the real pros to pipe in, the idea of recucing the lift at low RPM seems like it may be of help with a hot cam. Try dropping them a note to see what they have to say.

Phil