PDA

View Full Version : Free email accounts

MOP
08-25-2005, 02:30 PM
I need a little guidence, I have a buddy that just went onto a private LAN. They do not supply an email account, he would like to use MSN. I went to see about signing him up but got stopped at the first page, you need an email AD to register to get an MSN account. Any way around him not having an email AD.

Phil

txtaz
08-25-2005, 02:59 PM
Wes

McGary911
08-25-2005, 03:10 PM
Phil,
This is a good resource that your friend can use. In fact, I'm sure anyone can find dozens of reasons to use it.

Mailinator (http://www.mailinator.com/)

What this does, is let you create a temporary email account, that will work for a few hours. Then your bud signs up using email address philsbud@mailinator.com , he can go back to the mailinator page in a few minutes, and read the validation email. You can use these for any signup that requires a REAL email address......lots of other uses too....

BTW, i like GMail accounts much better than MSN or YAHOO. You have a huge amount of storage space (2 gigs i think), and you can run it from a normal local email client if you wish. Only catch is, a current account holder has to invite you. Shoot me an email if you, or your friend would like to be invited.....

txtaz
08-25-2005, 03:48 PM
McGary, Good catch on the gmail. Someone on here has an acct. Don't remember who but a search should find it. Hymmm maybe like this http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38458&highlight=gmail

It is also possible to set up yahoo with a local email client. It's just a little different to set up. We use SBC global which is yahoos mail servers and haven't had any problems with it. BUT, there could be a difference the free accts. and SBC's paid accts.
Wes

MOP
08-25-2005, 08:48 PM
Wes

Got your note!

About 15 minutes after I dropped mine to you I put him on Yahoo, he is happy as a clam. Turns out Yahoo is simpler then MSN for him to use.

Thanks as always!

Phil

penbroke
08-25-2005, 09:24 PM
It is also possible to set up yahoo with a local email client. It's just a little different to set up. We use SBC global which is yahoos mail servers and haven't had any problems with it. BUT, there could be a difference the free accts. and SBC's paid accts.
Wes

The free Yahoo accounts only allow web access. They used to allow POP3 access but that became a premimum feature.

Frank
penbroke@yahoo.com