PDA

View Full Version : Best horse-trader on the board

onesubdrvr
08-24-2005, 07:39 PM
OK,

I'm issuing a challenge,.... sort - of

I've finally made my mind up as to where the next level is for my boating, and sadly, this means that the Ragazza will go, here's where all you fine people (yes, even you Matty :biggrin: ), come in....

My goal is to sell the Ragazza, and get a Pontoon Boat,.....now obviously, there SHOULD be a decent difference in what the Ragazza can bring vice what I should pay for a decent used 18-22' toon boat. That difference goes to the "Project" fund, along with a little money I've got set aside. I've got my eye on a couple of 16's and 18's, and although they are within the $$ that I have set aside, I'd like to make this transition as smooth as possible (besides, I think Momma would like to see the Toon before a "project" boat), and yes, in some regards I'm whooped (although, I've NEVER been to a CO-ED baby shower).:biggrin:

So, fess up, who's the best horse-trader on the board to help me make this happen? Cuda perhaps? or one of you other folks with a stable of steeds?

Thanks!
Wayne

onesubdrvr
08-25-2005, 07:48 PM
one view,....

one view,....

ONE LOUSY VIEW!!!!

Come on people, surely someone out there can help me!!

Wayne

Cuda
08-25-2005, 08:02 PM
I'm not really sure what you are asking.

onesubdrvr
08-25-2005, 08:14 PM
Oh, Ok, I guess I was kinda beating around the bush so to speak

What I'm looking for is (loosely speaking), someone to take over my boat buying / selling affairs in order to

1) Maximize income from the sale of the Ragazza
2) Get a decent toon boat for the least amount of money possible
3) The difference in the two amounts goes to the project boat (a classic donzi of some sort, I've got a couple I'm looking at)

I've got the money to purchase my project boat now, but was wanting to wait until the Ragazza was gone and the toon boat was here.

I'm not a very good negotiator when it comes to boats, and I don't get around enough to see all that's out there (as far as looking for boats).

Does that clarify any?

Thanks!!
Wayne

Cuda
08-25-2005, 08:24 PM
Try finding a lot that will take it on consignment.

Cuda
08-25-2005, 08:25 PM
Ps, I never sell boats, I only buy them. :)

Cuda
08-25-2005, 08:26 PM
Btw, I live in pontoon heaven. :(

onesubdrvr
08-25-2005, 08:33 PM
OK, so first step will be take to consignment,.....

Now, next question, should I take the boat, say to Tampa or somewhere where that style boat may be more in demand, or does it really matter.

When that's done,... (I hope it doesn't sit too long, I hate being boatless, even though I don't get out that much). Then I should post here for people in area's like yours to keep there eyes / ears open for a decent deal on a toon boat.

Maybe I should get my project first, then work out the details,....no no no no no,.... this first :mad: !!

Wayne

Cuda
08-25-2005, 08:39 PM
I'd keep it local.

onesubdrvr
08-25-2005, 09:09 PM
OK,

One step at a time, keep it local,.....

Keep telling myself, "Good things come to those who wait"

I'll take it to the dealer some time next week.

Wayne

Any ideas of what I should ask, I know what they are going for ($7500-$8500) with the V-8,.....

I know I won't get what I put into it, but I'm still thinking I should start at like $11,250, take $10??

What do you think?

gold-n-rod
08-25-2005, 09:17 PM
Any ideas of what I should ask, I know what they are going for ($7500-$8500) with the V-8,.....

I know I won't get what I put into it, but I'm still thinking I should start at like $11,250, take $10??

What do you think?

You're not going to like this, but if I were you, I'd be happy to get $7500.

If that's too hard to swallow, find a stock V8 and keep the roller motor for your project boat.

Just my 2 pennies.

onesubdrvr
08-26-2005, 12:40 AM
You're not going to like this, but if I were you, I'd be happy to get $7500.

If that's too hard to swallow, find a stock V8 and keep the roller motor for your project boat.

Just my 2 pennies.
You're right, I don't like it,....but it's probably true, and honestly, to be expected.

But, that'll still get done what I want to get done :biggrin:

Wayne

EricG
08-26-2005, 12:34 PM
This is just my opinion, but I think if your goal is to maximize what you get out of the Rag - try selling it yourself first. It's a major pain in the A$$ to sell stuff, but is it worth the % that you'll have to give up to a consignment dealer. I know that every boat consignment place I have ever been to doesn't care about what they are selling, and it shows. They'll make sure they leave covers off, hatches open, etc. Maybe it's different down there, but here, that's the way it is.

Also, I've learned over the last few years - you can sell ANYTHING, as long as you are patient. There is a buyer out there- just be realistic and patient, and it will happen.

Also remember - hunting for the next thing is the best part :biggrin:. Once you buy the next one, that's what you've got to deal with, but while you are hunting - the possibilities are endless.

Finally - especially with the 'toon - when you are negotiating on one reliaze that the seller wants to sell their boat just as bad as you want(ed) to sell the Rag. You've got all of the negotiating power...

Good Luck - enjoy the hunt!

EG

McGary911
08-26-2005, 12:45 PM
I think Eric G has the right idea. We know you've put a lot of work into your boat. You'll be able to tell a prospective buyer every single thing about your sweat equity in it. You'll know exactly what's gone into your engine. You'll know how it ran before, and all the little nuances of how it ran after.

Guy on the lot will probably just say: Donzi Regazza. New Engine.

If you were the buyer, which guy would you be more likely to buy from.

It's more work, but while it's not sold, if you get the urge to hit the water, you can still do that.

Trueser
08-26-2005, 01:43 PM
Throw it up on EbAY, I just sold me Searay in 4 hours with a Buy It NOW.

The cost is low and the coverage is HIGH.

Try that first then see what offers you get.

Good LucK

Cuda
08-26-2005, 04:37 PM
I still say the best way to get your money out of the Rag is to drive it out. What can you do on the pontoon that you can't do on the Rag? And do it faster. :)

onesubdrvr
08-26-2005, 05:03 PM
I still say the best way to get your money out of the Rag is to drive it out. What can you do on the pontoon that you can't do on the Rag? And do it faster. :)
And getting faster every day :yes: :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :yes:

It's not what I can / can't do, it's how many people can do it, MY family is 6 of us, without the grandparents, 8 with them,.....6 is tight, no room to roam or fish or anything.

But,... the pontoon everyone can do it, then, when and if momma and I (or just I) get a chance to go, I can take the 'lil 'ol speed boat.

Wayne

Cuda
08-26-2005, 05:13 PM
It will take a big pontoon for eight people to ride comfortably.

onesubdrvr
08-26-2005, 05:46 PM
It will take a big pontoon for eight people to ride comfortably.
I was looking at a coule of 18's, mostly 20' and up. 1 seat at helm, L shape settee at transom for 3 more, 2 couches at the sides for 4 more, 2 "Fishing" chairs on the open bow.

Lots of different configurations, The 18' Coastie rated 10 people / 1500 lbs my 21' Donzi is the 8 or 1000 lbs. (Of course, there are several people who think the CG rating doesn't mean much).

Anyway, I'll keep me eyes open.

Wayne

Formula Jr
08-26-2005, 07:00 PM
Buying a boat that is on consignment nearly takes all the interest out of the boat for me and puts the boat on the same level as a complete unknown, to the level of say a donation boat sale. So you factor in much more of what you can imagine can be wrong with the boat as a buyer. As a buyer, I want to ask questions. And to ask questions more about the seller than the boat. A good buyer will do that in a very subtle, imperceptible and pleasent way.
The consign salesman can rightly say, I know very little about the boat, "Here it is, this is the price." The owner is the ultimate salesman. And the more you babble on about this little thing or that, or what fun you had, the closer you are to making a sale.
It shows that you have invested thought and time into it and you are sharing your past experiences which the buyer can then predict will be his/her own with that boat in the future. Thats what people buy anyway. They want to buy into an expected experience when it comes to recreational boats. You have an easier boat to sell than say a classic 18, since you can introduce FAMILY experiences.

And yes, I do have a degree in Psychology. :)

BUIZILLA
08-26-2005, 07:13 PM
Is this an April Fool's in August joke??

onesubdrvr
08-26-2005, 07:19 PM
Well,

Thanks for the input everyone, all very valid points, I think I will sell it myself. It all makes sense now,....That was my biggest fear selling on consignment, especially where I was going to take it, I can see it now, "Yeah, it's a nice boat, but I got this new bayliner for less with a lifetime structural warranty, 5 year on engine"

Thanks again, I'm going to take some pictures tomorrow and start spreading the word, but no sales before Sunday!!

Wayne

onesubdrvr
08-26-2005, 07:21 PM
Is this an April Fool's in August joke??
What? me selling the Ragazza? I am easy to confuse you know :confused:

Hope all is well in Miami,

Wayne

Formula Jr
08-26-2005, 08:39 PM
And please don't ever say "firm" in your pricing. Pad it 200-400, over what you expect and would be happy with. But never say OBO either, thats an invitation to bottom feeders like me and people with weird trade offers. And then, when the buyer throws back at you, some small fault, that you pointed out in the first place, they can walk away with the smile of a shrewd buyer. Everyone is happy.

I have had to say I needed a number out of an unadvertized sale once. A sale I took a big loss on, and in the family so to speak, and then I found out the buyer also took a big loss. I felt bad about that, but there wasn't much else I think I could have informed the buyer of at the time.