PDA

View Full Version : Donzi X18, Merc 350 w Merc TRS drive

Dregsz
08-24-2005, 01:02 AM
Hi All,

SOLD!!!

A 24 Cig resto project finally fell into my lap. I've been waiting a year for the boat and it's finally coming together so....

The 1976 Black and White X 18 Merc TRS, (yes the West Coast Boat with the scoop), is coming to market.

Hull # DMR181320376X

This X18 is in original condition and looks great. It has been very well taken care of and preserved it whole life. Don't think for a second that this boat needs a resto or gelcoat because it looks great and doesn't need that kind of work, it looks great and will continue to look great for a long tome to come.

The gelcoat has a few little scratches when examined close up but looks great from 5 feet away.
There is one tear along the rear bench seat SEAM, but other then that the interior ls in great shape and looks great!

The motor was gone through this season

I put $2000K into the motor this summer to get it just the way I like it
Motor rebuilt 4 years ago, then new GM 2.02, angle plug heads , still like new.
New Crower Marine Cam, lifters, springs, locks, retainers, New Cloyes double roller timing chain, timing cover, ARP Balancer bolt, New Weiand Stealth dual plane intake, Crane Gold 1.5 Roller Rockers on 7/16" rocker studs with Crane Gold stud girdles, New Edelbrock AVS 650 cfm carb w electric choke, Rebuilt Sea Pump, Holley electric fuel pump, regulator, inline filter, Fuel pressure gauge, Discreet Battery cut off switch, new batterey this season. New Mallory Distributer, MSD Blaster 2 coil New Accel 8.8 mm plug wires, new plugs, ball milled, polished aluminum, tall valve covers, fabricated to clear exhaust manifolds

Drive oil changed at the end of last season
Compression 155-170 on all cylinders

TRS shifts very, very smooth. Like butter, it shifts very sweet.

Trim works great
Trim tabs are fine

64 mph with borrowed 22P Michigan Wheel, "raptor"

Hull and deck are solid.

Upholstry has one ripped seam in rear bench.

19P and 21P Cleavers included 58 mph on 21P

The trailer was narrowed, lowered, painted, got all new hardware leaf springs etc. new rims and tires 2 years ago. It looks beautiful. Like a brand new trailer.

Location Portland, OR.

Since there is a high likelyhood of buying this boat from a distance, I should add that I have 80 positve feedbacks on ebay and paypal.

I ran this boat 4 days every week this past summer and fall. Until it sells I will be very happy boating in it but I'd really like to get the resto project on the other boat under way. They are holding it for me, it's no hurry, but you know how it is, I want to get the resto going now not next spring. so "my loss is your gain" (I hate that stale phrase, especially when I'm using it.)

I'm lowering this price from $11k down to $9.5K, to sell it quickly and accomodate shipping to the East Coast, which was quoted at $1600 and $1800 to New York (+ fuel surcharge) I have the quotes, they came in 2 days from the time I requested them.

This boat is exactly as represented and runs great. it is one of the very few X18s with the Merc TRS package making it rarer still , (and original Starboard drive making it even rarer and one of very few). and very fun and easy to use. I use the trim ALL the time, a little down to pop on plane, a little up to dial in set up for top speed.

Should any neighbors to the North be interested, Transport Canada has been contacted and all the documentation is included to help with a smooth trip over the border and through customs, (Thanks Lenny).

Thanks for Looking
Evan

Dregsz
08-24-2005, 01:14 AM
I couldn't resist this pic of my daughter, and a testament to the zero effort Merc power steering

(please forgive the mannipple, I'll need to crop this pic)

markdonzi
08-24-2005, 08:38 AM
What speed do you get? Does trailer come with boat?
Would you be willing to split the cost of transport back to NY?

markdonzi

DAULEY
08-24-2005, 09:18 AM
can you post some pixs of the 24 cig

Morgan's Cloud
08-24-2005, 09:23 AM
can you post some pixs of the 24 cig

Yes , please :biggrin:

KRAVEN
08-24-2005, 08:38 PM
If I didn't have my 2002 18 Scorpion I would jump on this one.

markdonzi
08-25-2005, 08:25 AM
Dregzs,

I am checking with a few shippers to see what the transport cost to NY would be. I am interested but need to know my costs. Will check back with you when i hear.
markdonzi

markdonzi
08-25-2005, 12:40 PM
Nobody seems to be calling me back or responding on the internet does anyone know of an insured transport company that will go from Oregon to NY state?

markdonzi

Lenny
08-25-2005, 12:48 PM
I had good luck with A-1 Boat transport. They took a while (3 months) but all in all it was good. I got from ol'Reds place to Bellingham, (just a few miles below me and a border, for $1900 US. It was about 2400 miles give or take.

With gas prices and all now I would expect to pay $2500-2800 for this from them. Also, you get multiple quotes and range from them depending on the trip and what else they already have. Winter is coming so this is something you need to set up soon as the Transports don't leave when you hang up the phone. Good Luck.

This is their website... http://a-1boattransport.com/

Don't confuse it with A1 Boat Transport. That is a different Company. I got the idea to use A-1 from OSO people that were happy.

markdonzi
08-25-2005, 03:22 PM
First estimate for transport came in at $4395. Ouch Way to much for me. Hope that is an abberation.
markdonzi

rustnrot
08-25-2005, 07:24 PM
FYI last month I shipped a 16 foot Gar Wood via www.a1haulaboat.com for $1900 from Augusta, GA to Los Angeles, CA.

Dregsz
09-04-2005, 01:08 PM
I got 2 quotes, $1600 and $1800 (+ fuel surcharge) to Long island, New York.
from A1 and another company.They gave a week window to pick up and a week window to deliver.

I updated my price and added more info to the first post.

The boat is still available, and I'd like to sell it.

Thanks
Evan

MattM
09-11-2005, 10:01 PM
Fellows,

I ran into Evan on the Willamette River last weekend. I was in my 22 and my buddy in his classic 18. We don't often run into another classic Donzi.

Evan took us for a spin. This is a nice boat and I would agree with the way he describes it. The TRS is really nice and modern compared to the Volvos in most of the boats of that vintage. It is a nice driving boat.

For those of you who are interested in packing it back to the east coast. Over the years I have brought 2 donzis out from Florida (so I guess I can't complain too much if you take one back).

Both times I found some internet sites that post loads. I posted the boat load and said that time was not critical. I shipped my 18 back here for $1000. It took a couple weeks but I guy had a load of steel on a flatbed and a couple thousand pounds of payload left and a ton of space. He loaded it on top of the steel, made $1000 cash and everybody was happy. Way cheaper than calling a boat or car hauler.

Good luck.

Matt

Dregsz
09-11-2005, 11:37 PM
Hi Matt,

Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate your putting in a good word for the X18.

(The check is in the mail) :wink:

I've been looking for you over on your dock the last few days, even though it's been cool out I've been making speed runs up and down under the bridge testing props and getting the boat dialed in for the Poker Run up on Puget Sound, Sept 24.

Hope you are going to make that, I should have all the details in a few more days.
Evan

MattM
09-12-2005, 02:35 PM
Schools started and all three boys are in football or soccer. With practices and all my day ends at 8:30 pm! I'm hoping for a few good weekends yet that I can get out on the river after the saturday soccer and football games.

Dregsz
09-14-2005, 01:23 AM
Tomorrow will make like 5 or six days in a row I'm out there. I'm loosing count.

Today was very warm and sunny. I wasn't expecting it.

I think I'll pull it out on Thrsday and change the oil and take it up to Gig Harbor this weekend to play.

Dregsz
10-09-2005, 02:22 AM
I had a deal on the boat fall through and it is again available.

The PNW (South Puget Sound) Poker Run was the greatest time ever. The boat ran flawlessly for 80 miles at or near full throttle and is dialed in perfect.

Whoever gets this boat is going to be STOKED!!

The motor is clean and strong and needs NO work. All the mechanicals are in great shape.

To bring the engine hatch back to stock won't be a big deal, the hole is really only 6"x9" and could easily be glassed. I didn't put the scoop on, but I kinda like it now after having it a while.
It isn't a must do, but some purists have suggested returning the hatch to stock.

Everything else on this boat is in great shape. You will be very happy with it.

Dregsz
10-12-2005, 08:36 PM
BTW,
The stringers have been glassed in

Dregsz
11-15-2005, 05:47 AM
Sold

DAULEY
11-15-2005, 09:18 AM
where are the pixs of your new project the 24 cig still waiting
congrates on the sale

Dregsz
11-15-2005, 12:03 PM
As posted in the X18 thread ion the main board. I decided against the resto as the survey came back much worse then expected. too much work for me.
It was supposed to be dryand cosmetic only, but turned out very wet.
So I bought a 24 Superboat

lars
11-16-2005, 06:19 AM
:yes:
Congratulations on Your 24' Superboat buy Evan!
It's funny that after I had some personal issues and had to pass on the same brown 1979 20' Cigarette that You kicked Yourself for not buying at $9K,
I looked at a blue 21' Superboat down here in Los Angeles. One owner well kept early eighties boat with it's original 200 Evinrude. Well to make along story short I ended up buying a 21' Schiada O/B (225 Rude Ram) and I'm happy with that as a substitute for the Cigarette, You probably felt the same with the Donzi.
But this is definately an eclips. The 24' Superboat is a fantastic boat and I hope You put a few pictures for us on the forum of Your daughter at helm of the 24'. Enjoy Your new pride.

Dregsz
11-16-2005, 01:39 PM
Lars, Thank You for your very nice note.
I always wanted a 20 Cig and it would have been a great river boat.
i think it as well as the X18 are limited in range and less useful for running on Puget sound.
I also always wanted a 27 magnum, (there are a few other boats on my list as well.)
The Superboat , I think best bridges the gap from my childhood fantasy boats and What works well in my semi adult, (I'm only 41) reality.
The outboard gives me the flexibility to tune the setup, (Just bought a hyd jack plate), single motor conserves gas somewhat, the boat is clean and in great shape.
I took her out for a run at 74 mph (speedo) yesterday and will start tuning props next week. I think she has more to go with the motor still stock.

Family pics will probably wait until the weather warms but I'm sure my daughter will be at the helm soon

new poker run donzi pics and Superboat pics.

http://community.webshots.com/user/wavslav

Thanks
Evan

lars
11-16-2005, 10:59 PM
She's fantastic! Very happy for You Evan and thanks for the pictures.

seano
11-17-2005, 11:50 AM
evan,

do you have any details on that 24 cig? was it the yellow one with the windshield? ist is still for sale? do you have pics you can send me?

sean@thunderboatalley.com

simpson
02-24-2006, 09:20 PM
Hi All,
SOLD!!!
A 24 Cig resto project finally fell into my lap. I've been waiting a year for the boat and it's finally coming together so....
The 1976 Black and White X 18 Merc TRS, (yes the West Coast Boat with the scoop), is coming to market.
Hull # DMR181320376X
This X18 is in original condition and looks great. It has been very well taken care of and preserved it whole life. Don't think for a second that this boat needs a resto or gelcoat because it looks great and doesn't need that kind of work, it looks great and will continue to look great for a long tome to come.
The gelcoat has a few little scratches when examined close up but looks great from 5 feet away.
There is one tear along the rear bench seat SEAM, but other then that the interior ls in great shape and looks great!
The motor was gone through this season
I put $2000K into the motor this summer to get it just the way I like it
Motor rebuilt 4 years ago, then new GM 2.02, angle plug heads , still like new.
New Crower Marine Cam, lifters, springs, locks, retainers, New Cloyes double roller timing chain, timing cover, ARP Balancer bolt, New Weiand Stealth dual plane intake, Crane Gold 1.5 Roller Rockers on 7/16" rocker studs with Crane Gold stud girdles, New Edelbrock AVS 650 cfm carb w electric choke, Rebuilt Sea Pump, Holley electric fuel pump, regulator, inline filter, Fuel pressure gauge, Discreet Battery cut off switch, new batterey this season. New Mallory Distributer, MSD Blaster 2 coil New Accel 8.8 mm plug wires, new plugs, ball milled, polished aluminum, tall valve covers, fabricated to clear exhaust manifolds
Drive oil changed at the end of last season
Compression 155-170 on all cylinders
TRS shifts very, very smooth. Like butter, it shifts very sweet.
Trim works great
Trim tabs are fine
64 mph with borrowed 22P Michigan Wheel, "raptor"
Hull and deck are solid.
Upholstry has one ripped seam in rear bench.
19P and 21P Cleavers included 58 mph on 21P
The trailer was narrowed, lowered, painted, got all new hardware leaf springs etc. new rims and tires 2 years ago. It looks beautiful. Like a brand new trailer.
Location Portland, OR.
Since there is a high likelyhood of buying this boat from a distance, I should add that I have 80 positve feedbacks on ebay and paypal.
I ran this boat 4 days every week this past summer and fall. Until it sells I will be very happy boating in it but I'd really like to get the resto project on the other boat under way. They are holding it for me, it's no hurry, but you know how it is, I want to get the resto going now not next spring. so "my loss is your gain" (I hate that stale phrase, especially when I'm using it.)
I'm lowering this price from $11k down to $9.5K, to sell it quickly and accomodate shipping to the East Coast, which was quoted at $1600 and $1800 to New York (+ fuel surcharge) I have the quotes, they came in 2 days from the time I requested them.
This boat is exactly as represented and runs great. it is one of the very few X18s with the Merc TRS package making it rarer still , (and original Starboard drive making it even rarer and one of very few). and very fun and easy to use. I use the trim ALL the time, a little down to pop on plane, a little up to dial in set up for top speed.
Should any neighbors to the North be interested, Transport Canada has been contacted and all the documentation is included to help with a smooth trip over the border and through customs, (Thanks Lenny).
Thanks for Looking
Evan

Hey Evan, Can you give me a contact number? I'm looking for a 18 to 22 foot
Donzi and I live in Portland.

Dregsz
02-24-2006, 09:34 PM
Sorry, Sold Nov, 2005
It's up further in the thread