PDA

View Full Version : Mercury Marine's "Lake X"...........

Donzigo
08-23-2005, 09:32 AM
I travel often to the East Coast, to Melbourne, on Hwy 192. I have for a long been interested in finding "Lake X", something to occupy my mind, on those long trips across the state, and now, I finally I found it. I had passed it many times. It must have provided Mercury Marine a wonderful back-drop, when testing all those engines, over the years. It's absolutely gorgeous country. The facility is all but closed, now. The grounds are kept nice and looks like the airstrip is still operational. Executives from Merucury's home office, no doubt flew in, for one event or another. I wonder if there is a nice home on the property, where visitors would have stayed? Also, it seems that Mercury is supposed to actually own the lake, too. Could this be true? I wonder if Don Aronow ever visited "Lake X"? Did he have that kind of technical relationship with Mercury? The 100's of acres of the land surrounding Lake X will most surely bring a pretty price, when sold for housing development, one day. I'd love to live on such a pretty lake with all the colorful marine history that must surround the place.

Andbody know anything interesting, visited, or have run a boat on the lake.

Tom Davis
08-23-2005, 09:57 AM
Been there, tested there, sworn to Secrecy...

Yes Mercury owned all the land surrounding the lake for security reasons, it was intended to be the mercury "Top Secret" testing ground. Later it was opened up for a select few to get "dialed in" using Mercury racing products. The people that worked there were the top skunk works guys at Mercury, very sharp group.

Tom Davis
Winni Bandits