PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak Update

avanti
08-22-2005, 07:21 PM
Well after pulling the Mag 350 out of my 2001 Donzi Classic 18. I discovered the the metal around the drain plug in the oil pan had completely rusted through and the oil was leaking through the pan into the bilge. It completely mystifies me why Mercruiser uses steel oil pans on marine engines. The paint job they put on the engines leaves a lot to be desired. I have taken off all the rust and put Ospho on the block and then cold galvanized it and then painted it black. I also changed all the bolts to stainless steel and installed an aluminium oil pan. I then put on a set of Stainless Marine Hi Torque small block aluminium manifolds and SS risers with 4" through transom exhaust tips. I removed the Quick & Quiet exhaust system as where I live you can make as much noise as you want. I also moved the fuel water seperator from the side of the engine and mounted it on the bulkhead in the boat. Eliminating the steel bracket that Mercruiser uses to mount it to the engine which also rusts to pieces. The way Mercruiser prepares a marine engine for use in a marine enviorment is a joke. They use the least expensive way possible to make it operate and I think they have a plan to have it survive for a fixed period of time so they can sell you a new one. Well fortunately I think mine will now outlast Mercruiser's prediction by a long time.

gcarter
08-22-2005, 08:31 PM
Yep, the Merc paint is lousy. When I put in my new engine, I mounted a new pan off eBay (about $65.00), zinc chromated it, then painted it with a high end automotive paint. I don't believe I'll have any problems either.

cigarette30
08-22-2005, 08:34 PM
[QUOTE=avanti]Well after pulling the Mag 350 out of my 2001 Donzi Classic 18. I discovered the the metal around the drain plug in the oil pan had completely rusted through and the oil was leaking through the pan into the bilge.

Doesn't Merc. Have a 5 year corrosion warranty ? Although because you did not have a "failure," (but sure would have) may not apply. Any thoughts?

gcarter
08-22-2005, 09:26 PM
Actually, Merc Phantom Black is excellent paint....

High solids content, lays on very well, sticks like a banshee...

Their application of it blows...... :wrench:
Is this what they use on drives, or engines?

MOP
08-22-2005, 10:39 PM
Poodles right the paint is real good but I have noticed that most surfaces are not primed just painted on the raw metal.
Interestingly when we pulled my kids motor it had a 7 quart pan that was powder coated, you would think they would coat all pans in that way!
I watched a special the other night on powder coating home appliances, the fellow that ran the company said it is extremely durable (which we know) and also very cheap to do! His example was an electric mixer and stand cost 45 cents per unit!
Makes me wonder why we get charged so much getting our boat parts coated!!!!!!

Phil