PDA

View Full Version : rebuilt motor !!! WTF

DonZi kid18
08-22-2005, 07:12 PM
Hello everyone,
well i got my donZi motor almost rebuilt. I got new risers, manafolds, and valves for the motor oo yea and a new starter. Well my dad and i took it out for a test ride today in the lake, and guess what happens ! The motor shuts off ! YAY. but i was doing a turn when the motor shut off. and i am thinking that it pulled the wires for something, like the igniton or the distribture cap. So can anyone help me out on this one ?? have you ever heard anything like this ?? Now the boat wont even start !

Thanx
Ryan
--------------------------
1984 DonZi classic blue

Lenny
08-22-2005, 07:48 PM
Basics first. Spark and fuel. Prove those and then get going...

Pretty simple basics and THEN it gets ugly but that is EFI/esoteric stuff and such, not carbed beasts.

If there is a spark and some fuel it WILL explode. :eek:

Cuda
08-22-2005, 08:43 PM
There are only three things an engine needs to run; fuel, compression, and ignition, assuming they all happen at the right time. Find out which it doesn't have, then trace it from there.

farmer tx
08-22-2005, 08:59 PM
Be sure the safety lanyard is is attached.

gcarter
08-22-2005, 09:11 PM
Be sure the safety lanyard is is attached.
Yep!!!!! :)

Gulfbum
08-22-2005, 09:53 PM
Take it back to who did the work and ask them to fix it. They should stand behind their work.

Frank

DonZi kid18
08-22-2005, 10:22 PM
well..... i would love to take it back and tell them to fix it but, its 3 hours away. I got it fixed down at the shore house in Alantic City. Now the boat is back here in PA. I am goin to give them a call and see whats goin on. The boat does not have an safety lanyard. The ignition system and the distribture cap were replaced so iam thinking that could be it. THANX for the help !

Ryan
---------------------
1984 DonZi Classic 18' blue

mattyboy
08-23-2005, 07:28 AM
were they left hand or right hand turns???? the boat will run straight??
sounds like an electrical make no make connection thingy

MOP
08-23-2005, 07:50 AM
Takes a few minutes to check for loose battery wire at the battery and at the engine, check the main harness plug to make sure it is fully inserted, and take a good look under the dash for loose wires at the ignition switch 90+% of the time these sudden cut offs are something very simple. It does not take much to interupt a DC circuit, if you take your time and look things over. May turn out to be something the repair shot had nothing to do with.

Phil

DonZi kid18
08-23-2005, 09:12 AM
yea the boat will run stright, well it did. So yea i made an right hand turn. and it just died.

Ryan
------------
1984 DonZi Classic blue 18'

mattyboy
08-23-2005, 09:23 AM
I think something came loose, how's was it running before it died??how far did it run before it died???
is the fuel supply on???

onesubdrvr
08-23-2005, 11:06 AM
were they left hand or right hand turns???? the boat will run straight??
sounds like an electrical make no make connection thingy
OH Matty, you're SO technical :D

Just bustin chops
Wayne

Formula Jr
08-23-2005, 01:26 PM
Does it crank over with starter? Yes/No
Does it have gas? Yes/No
Does it have Spark? Yes/No

Right now, the only thing we have is
"Motor not run."

Too little to go on.

boldts
08-23-2005, 05:28 PM
My 22 had a wire going to the ignition switch that had loosened. Running along fine, made a turn and all of a sudden engine shuts off. No crank, nothing..... Found the wire under the dash hanging, reattached by hand as best I could until I could fix right with a new lock nut. Boat ran fine to get back to the trailer and tools. No further troubles after.

I'm with the guys saying a loose wire. Especially if there is no cranking when you try to start the engine. Check the power wire going to your coil. Did you hit a wave hard? Might have cracked the coil although that will still allow the engine to crank, but no start. Do a close inspection looking for any wires seeming out of place or hanging unconnected. Might be a wire that didn't get tightned properly when the engine was put back in the boat.

Now, if the fuel was shut off due to the engine being taken out and put back in and if your boat has a fuel shut-off valve, I'd also look in that area. Pump your throttle and see if there is any fuel in the carb. Is the engine an EFI engine? If so, disreguard looking for fuel in the carb, but still look at the fuel shut-off valve.

Give the guys here more info. Engine type and induction system. EFI or carb. How long did the boat run before shuting off? Does it crank but not start? No cranking at all? If you go to a doctor and just tell them you hurt, they wouldn't know which part of your body to start looking at. Same goes for an engine. :D

DonZi kid18
08-24-2005, 09:38 AM
Does it crank over with starter? Yes/No
Does it have gas? Yes/No
Does it have Spark? Yes/No

Right now, the only thing we have is
"Motor not run."

Too little to go on.

It cranks with the starter. and it has gas, i dont know if it has spark. But another thing i found out was that the blower does not work. so i am thinking something came loose or a blown fuse. The boat ran great before i made the turn. boat was running for about 45 min.

Ryan
--------------------
1984 18' blue DonZi Classic
350 cub. in.MerCruiser carb. not EFI

BUIZILLA
08-24-2005, 09:44 AM
Look closely, and see if the steering arm behind the engine didn't grab the harness, and unplug it... or disconnect/cut important wires

JH

Formula Jr
08-24-2005, 04:36 PM
well then just put a VOM, set to read DC voltage
red lead on the plus terminal of the coil then ground the other black lead to the engine block With the ignition on but not cranking.

Are you getting a reading? If so, what are the numbers.

Now set the VOM to read Ohms, with ignition off, disconnect the positive lead to the coil and take a reading between the two terminals of the coil,
what is your reading?

DonZi kid18
08-25-2005, 03:18 PM
Hey everyone..
thanx for the help. But it turns out it just need the fuse. I got the chance to look at it today.! just wanted to say thanx to everyone that helped.

Ryan
-----------------------
1984 Blue DonZi Clasic
350 cub. in.

MOP
08-25-2005, 08:44 PM
Hmm it is the simple things that seem to cause the most agrivation!

mattyboy
08-27-2005, 07:00 AM
now the hard part to find what blew the fuse

Donzigo
08-27-2005, 12:00 PM
Simple things....you got that right. I had a 454 cut off intermidently, a while back. The worst kind of problem..........becomes a witch hunt. Turned out to be a $9 Hobbs oil pressure switch on the back near the distributor.

Doesn't take much to make these little babies caugh & spew..........