PDA

View Full Version : Another unfortunate accident

Greg K
08-22-2005, 02:21 PM
Mark Detournillion of Shoreline Marina at Smith Mountain Lake was involved when the 38ZR comp he was driving ran over the back of a cruiser at over 60mph during the night after 10pm.

Copied and pasted story...

A couple from Moneta were struck and killed in a boating accident Saturday night at Smith Mountain Lake, said Lt. Karl Martin of the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries.

Judith Lewis, 59, and her 58-year-old husband, Lawrence, were heading upstream on the Roanoke River arm of the lake in a 32-foot cabin cruiser at 10:05 p.m. when a 38-foot-high performance motorboat hit them from behind and launched over the couple's boat. Judith and Lawrence Lewis were killed instantly and the cabin cruiser was destroyed, Martin said. A dog aboard the Lewises' cruiser also died, he said.

Driving the motorboat was Mark Detournillon, 45, who was taken to and treated at Bedford Memorial Hospital then airlifted to Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital, the lieutenant said. Detournillon's injuries, he said, were not life-threatening.

Eric Earnhart, a spokesman for Carilion, said Sunday that Detournillon had been treated and released.

Martin said speed and alcohol were contributing factors to the accident and charges are pending for the motorboat's driver.

He added that the motorboat was traveling at more than 60 mph.

All three people involved in the accident owned homes on Smith Mountain Lake, Martin said.

Sam
08-22-2005, 03:03 PM
As much as I love to go out and put the throttle down it makes me sick to hear stories like this. In my opinion it's occurances like this that will do the rest of us in, just ask the lake Winni folks. I for one would have no problem supporting a BAN on all high speed boating at night. I've seen many examples of this kind of thing happening on my local waters. From boat's slaming into docks running aground and or deadly collisions. I'ts nothing for me to be sitting outdside at night and hear a go-fast boat hauling @%# in pitch black. I would love to go out and fish at night or take a slow cruise with the wife but the risk to great. Now the question is what is high speed and how do you inforce it. Just my 2 cents.

Sam

txtaz
08-22-2005, 03:14 PM
I'm with Sam, I don't boat at night unless it's in a canal. We had an accident here involving a kid of a weathly man. Now the kid is up for manslaughter charges and the Dad will get sued.
I just stay out of those situations.
Wes

DONZI
08-22-2005, 03:30 PM
Another fatality this wk. end.
http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2005/08/22/sutton_man_drowns_after_his_boat_hits_a_rock/

Lenny
08-22-2005, 03:34 PM
I don't boat a night period and we have very few "go-fasts" here. I am not all that fond of a) running out of gas... b) having a breakdown...c) hitting a beauty of a log and tearing the leg off... or d) taking on water, when in the middle of nowhere, out on the ocean and no one around in the dark of night and 43 degree water. http://www.donzi.net/forums/images/smilies/lookaroundb.gif

I spent yesterday (Sunday) in BIG water in the Strait and other areas. San Juans, Gulf Islands and just about as far away from civilization as I dare go. :eek: I have no desire to up the odds at night, they are high already.

The thought of this above would be an additional item... "e"

Not interested.

fasttrucker
08-22-2005, 06:12 PM
I go out at night and go as slow as I can,just on plane.Here in our bay we have a hot spot..."rock the bay" poker run is in sept....sometimes at night you can hear the go-fasts tearing it up! I wonder why he didnt see the other boats lights at 60mph?

Cuda
08-22-2005, 07:14 PM
Well, at least this thread is still open. On two other sites, it has been closed by the owners. I guess the guy must have some political clout. :kaioken:

JPR
08-22-2005, 07:28 PM
I think the report said that alcohol was a factor, I probably like my boat sodas as much as anyone else, but you've got to use some common sense and have a sense of responsibility. drunk, dark, fast in a boat, I'm not surprised he didn't see lights. It gets weird out there in the pitch black.

Anyway, I'm sorry for the people who died and sorry for the guy who hit them because so many lives changed for the worse from one single bad decision.:frown:

Cuda
08-22-2005, 07:32 PM
The official report said alcohol and excessive speed were factors. All the other sites are closing the thread because the guy who did it is a paying advertiser. They claim they don't want speculation. I don't consider it speculation when the official report says alcohol and speed. I can't see anything that could mitigate his actions. Alcohol + speed + darkness isn't an unfortunate accident, it's playing Russian Roulette with everyone else's lives who are on the water.

joseph m. hahnl
08-22-2005, 08:16 PM
I like being out at night. it is very piecefull. i boat on a small lake and i am the only one with a donzi. alcohol is the leading factor i'm sure in that accident. 60mph at night is asking for it and he got it. unfortunate fore the couple and there dog. when i am out at night i continually monitor for other boats wether i'm moving or not. i also go at headway speed.
unless there is a full or half moon when visibilty is good. but i would never ever open it up . i remember i was wide open in my whaler on the merrimack river in nh and mass. for some reason i happen to slow down to head way speed. when all of a sudden there was this idiot cruising with out navigation lights. when we passed they were like what's up lets party types all trashed out holding up there beers. again alcohol creates poor judgment. then a little later there's another chump on a PWC with out lights. even on the lake i have encountered people in paddle boats and canoes with out a light. these people are very foolish and endanger the lives of every one on the lake . i witnessed a marine patrol letting a guy go with out a citation. it really erkes me because i know he was out there to herass me over my thru the hull exhaust."which have mufflers and are in complience" any way as mentioned about lake winni. there are allready lakes in newhampshire that have a 25 mph at night restriction. and a 40 mph day light speed limit. in nh you can be ticketed for any speed that is considerd unreasonable . like going 60 mph when there are ten boats with kids on tubes. it all boils down to common sence and alcohol depletes rationalization.

i'm sorry for those that have perrished because of others ignorance.

i can only due my part by being curtious to my fellow boaters.

joe

Moody Blu'
08-22-2005, 08:59 PM
A 32 foot cabin cruiser is fairly hard not to see. regardless if alcohol was involved. I am leaning towards no lights on the cabin cruiser.

gold-n-rod
08-22-2005, 09:22 PM
A 32 foot cabin cruiser is fairly hard not to see. regardless if alcohol was involved. I am leaning towards no lights on the cabin cruiser.

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt. Wrong answer. A white stern light (all that's required) should be visible............ unless you have a snootful and are hammering it home at 60 mph.

Don't blame the victim. Even if it were true, a bump on the transom is one hell of a lot different than plowing through a cruiser and its occupants.

knots2u
08-22-2005, 09:34 PM
Very tragic accident, it is all over the news. Shoreline Marina is the local Donzi dealer here. 60mph+ in a 38' boat during the day on SML is dangerous, at night, even with a full moon, is asking for trouble.

Mercrewser
08-22-2005, 09:38 PM
I cant believe someone who has the oppurtunity to get behind the wheel of such an extravagant boat could be so ignorant. Even with out alcohol or lights on the cabin cruiser excessive speed at night is ludicrus. Its a shame we need law enforcement to force restrictions on us but I guess its warranted because of guys like this. I have a sailboat and I'm sick of this kind of retarded recklessness.

Greg K
08-23-2005, 05:40 AM
More in today's news...

There was a loud crash and Mark Ulander looked up just as the roaring, high-performance boat leapt over the 32-foot cabin cruiser, sparks flying. Then it was quiet.

The 38-foot Donzi 38ZR high-performance boat glided a few hundred yards ahead. Then Ulander's wife, Belle, heard a man's voice from their dock on Smith Mountain Lake.

"I hit a boat. I hit a boat," the frightened voice said.

Saturday night's collision instantly killed Judith Lewis, 59, and her 58-year-old husband, Lawrence, a retired couple returning home after dinner with friends at a dock at Compass Cove.

Their Wellcraft cabin cruiser was headed upstream near channel marker R24 when the Donzi - which has two engines each capable of 500 horsepower - struck it from behind at more than 60 mph, said Lt. Karl Martin of the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries.

As the Game Department continued its investigation, the crash raised concerns once again about boating safety on the lake, which has a reputation as the state's most dangerous body of water. One friend of the Lewises said it was time to post speed limits in some areas.

"I would hope that that would happen after this," said Anne Mohapt.

Authorities say alcohol and speed each played a factor in the wreck.

The Donzi's driver, Mark de Tournillon, 45, was temporarily hospitalized with injuries described as not life-threatening. De Tournillon, owner of Shoreline Marina in Moneta, has not been charged in the incident.

"We are still following up on information, interviewing witnesses," Martin said. "We try to determine what occurred prior to, during and after the collision."

According to an affidavit for a search warrant seeking de Tournillon's medical records, he told a game warden after the crash that he had not been drinking alcohol but was taking three drugs, including the pain relievers Lortab and Naprosyn.

In the emergency room later at Carilion Bedford Memorial Hospital, however, de Tournillon told the game warden he also had drunk a glass of Merlot with dinner at Mariner's Landing earlier, according to the affidavit. The odor of alcohol could be detected on de Tournillon at the scene and at the hospital, the affidavit says.

Cuda
08-23-2005, 06:17 AM
In the emergency room later at Carilion Bedford Memorial Hospital, however, de Tournillon told the game warden he also had drunk a glass of Merlot with dinner at Mariner's Landing earlier, according to the affidavit. .

Yeah, like they never heard that one.

This just keeps getting worse and worse. He already has a history of speeding through a sobriety check point, and mixing a cocktail of drugs with it.

I hope they fry his ass.

gcarter
08-23-2005, 06:46 AM
This story reminds me of a picture that made the rounds in the late '60's. The incident occured in Ft. Lauderdale. The photo showed a stern view of a large motor yacht with the bow of a boat sticking out of the stbd side of the yacht and the stern out the port side, all several feet above the water line!!!
In this case, I think, only the small boats driver was killed.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
08-23-2005, 07:51 AM
Mark is well known in the area, and I boat SML twice a year. I for one will wait for more concrete information before forming an opinion, I certainly am not judge, jury or an angel.

The pictures of the 38ZR and the crushed cruiser were on OSO yesterday afternoon, the thread is now gone.

Overall, it is a tradgedy, I did some reading on SML and the accident rate there is extremely high, one article said it was the highest for a lake of such size.

God Bless all involved.
Bryan Tuvell

BUIZILLA
08-23-2005, 09:52 AM
I was at my Centerhill Lake house in TN last last week... and it WAS a full moon cycle... on Thursday night the moon was bright, sky was clear, and I could see boat lights at least a mile down the lake... on Friday night there was a high cloud cover haze, and I could barely make out the tree's 200' from the water, and I could NOT see the water behind the tree's. In fact, I could not even make out the running lights on the bass boats that night, that were barely 400' away from my house. I believe a visible anchor/stern light must be clearly apparent up to 1 mile away?? This Martinique was an all bright white vessel, that should have been reasonably visible under those conditions, unless Mark was traveling in excess of his vision, or just plainly not paying attention at all.

Jim

SMLDONZI
08-23-2005, 10:46 AM
This is the boat that was struck.

cigarette30
08-23-2005, 10:54 AM
This is the boat that was struck.

The waterline level swim platform/transom explains how the Donzi launched over the boat. Very, very sad day, pray for all those affected.

joseph m. hahnl
08-23-2005, 07:21 PM
one thing is for sure nothing will ever bring those people back to life. alls we can do is watch out for our selves and learn from his alleged mistakes. like if your all doped up on pain pills maybe it would be better to throw in the anchor. or maybe drive at head way speed. maybe he was confused and thought the light was on the other side of the lake. only he knows what he was thinking. and only he has to live with the guilt of killing those people for the rest of his life.maybe some day he'll come clean and then we'll know. we can blame no lights, poor visibilty. alcohol and or drugs yes and even speed. but really the true blame fall on him and poor judgment. it was his choice to drive at any speed. i'm sure he didn't say i think tonight i'll go run over some one in there boat. it was an accident. and most accidents occur because of poor judgment. i hope that all of us do not have pay and be blamed for some one else's neglegence.

joe

Donzi LG
08-23-2005, 07:21 PM
I cant believe someone who has the oppurtunity to get behind the wheel of such an extravagant boat could be so ignorant.

My thoughts exactly. An obvious wreckless boater and this guy is a marina owner??? I hope he's charged and locked up; if he isn't I'd bet he'll be pulling the same garbage in another expensive boat before you know it.

Shanghied Again
08-24-2005, 08:56 AM
No matter how you look at this, This is a very tragic situation for both parties involved, The family of the deceased and Mark, he has to live with this the rest of his life (Even if there was drinking Involved) The man did not set out to kill someone and he has to live with that.
I have a Customer that is going through the same type of situation, except he killed his best freind aboard his boat. he slammed into a big marker at high speed at night and flipped the boat over throwing all 6 in the water, they recovered all but one person.
The sad part is he maybe looking at loosing everything he owns and jail time, according to the paper drinking was a factor and he has several charges, What was left of the boat is now siezed. His Insurance company walked away once the word Alcohol got involved and you know he will be liable for the death of his freind, the people aboard and the $280,000 note on the boat.
This is not something anyone should go through, I talk to him every once in awhile and can feel his pain. (It was an Accident) Yes if he was drinking he should have a punishment but how severe must it be?

Remember no matter what happes Mark did not set out to Kill anyone and should not be judged for that. He will be living with that pain the rest of his Life!

Cuda
08-24-2005, 09:30 AM
Yes if he was drinking he should have a punishment but how severe must it be?

Remember no matter what happes Mark did not set out to Kill anyone and should not be judged for that. He will be living with that pain the rest of his Life!
In my opinion, it cannot be severe enough. You speak of living with the pain, the other boaters are not living at all. Which would you prefer?

ChromeGorilla
08-24-2005, 09:41 AM

Why should he not be judged for that? People are judged for that on a daily basis. And rightly so. BAC over the limit, history of reckless operation......so on.... It's called manslaughter.

No drunk driver sets out to kill anyone, but..... Drunk drivers get convicted of manslaughter all the time. Did they mean to kill anybody no, but their actions resulted in someones death.

Cuda
08-24-2005, 09:46 AM
Why should he not be judged for that? People are judged for that on a daily basis. And rightly so. BAC over the limit, history of reckless operation......so on.... It's called manslaughter.

No drunk driver sets out to kill anyone, but..... Drunk drivers get convicted of manslaughter all the time. Did they mean to kill anybody no, but their actions resulted in someones death.
I agree, sounds like manslaughter to me.

ChromeGorilla
08-24-2005, 10:16 AM
Well, over on OSO there is a small handfull of peeps defending this guy/ lets wait and see.....blah blah blah......this was my reply....

OK here we go

This is some info from the affidavit...... this is info that Mark gave game wardens.

"According to an affidavit for a search warrant seeking de Tournillon's medical records, he told a game warden after the crash that he had not been drinking alcohol but was taking three drugs, including the pain relievers Lortab and Naprosyn.

In the emergency room later at Carilion Bedford Memorial Hospital, however, de Tournillon told the game warden he also had drunk a glass of Merlot with dinner at Mariner's Landing earlier, according to the affidavit."

So he was taking some pain meds, fine, whatever, and he was drinking some wine. lets take a look at the warnings for the narcotic Lortab (which is 1 of the drugs he was taking)

"Avoid alcohol while taking Lortab. Alcohol will greatly increase the drowsiness and dizziness caused by Lortab and could be dangerous. Also, acetaminophen can damage your liver if you drink three or more alcoholic beverages a day."

And here we are with Naprosyn....

"Naprosyn may cause you to become drowsy or less alert; therefore, avoid driving, operating dangerous machinery, or participating in any hazardous activity that requires full mental alertness until you are sure of the drug’s effect you."

Not only was he taking 1 extremely strong pain med he was taking 2!
So here are some FACTS. He was taking pain drugs, not in accordance with instructions, drinking alchohol and operating a powerboat at night. Hmmmmm, how do you defend those actions??????? Don't think you can.

And you want to defend him and say lets wait and see.... puh lease. This guy by his own admission is 100% completely responsible for the accident, completely negligable and should get what he deserves. If he has a BAC over the limit, the word manslaughter comes to mind. This guy was insanely reckless in every aspect of the whole situation.

It's natural to defend a friend or someone you may do business with but just taking into account just the facts he provided......... do you still feel the same way?

Can you say focked?

Shanghied Again
08-24-2005, 10:17 AM
Hi Cuda.
Don't miss understand me yes if there was drinking involved he should be punished (But How Severe!) I know my family was a victim of another person taking a family members life.
In 1982 My father was robbed and murdered, I was the unfortunate person to find my dad the next day laying on a cold concrete floor in our old oil company shot to death. They caught the guy that did it and he was treated better then anyone who took a person in an accident!
This guy had no remorse, no feelings, could careless about family and he recieved life in prison that amounted to 7 years!
Opon his release we were told that if we go near him or hurt him we would be treated more severe then him!

My dad was my life and there is knothing that could ever replace him.. So I know the pain of living without someone I love. We were best freinds, we raced together, bought our first Donzi together and thats one reason why I love the boats so much. My father had a love for the boat in 1964 and Donzi reminds me of him, every test ride I go on, I talk to my Dad and tell him I wish you were here.

In 1990s The leading Salesman for a Local Dealership was out at 10PM running his 30 Scarab, he ran over a 16ft alluminum boat with 2 kids aboard one 15 and the other 16, he killed them both. I knew this Salesman well and I knew the kids he hit. It was a devistation I will never forget.
The Accident was determend that there were no lights on the boat and the Scarab hit the boat at around 40mph. Of course drinking played a part and the driver was charged!
He knew the kids he hit and the pain was so great he took a gun and killed himself. Not thinking of the consiquenses he left his wife and 3 daughters without a father and because of the accident the family had lost everything from being seized.

All I am saying this is a disaster for both familys involved and I understand the pain that follows..

ChromeGorilla
08-24-2005, 10:25 AM
Understood Frank, well put at the end. Your right, it's a shame and sad from every angle.... :(

Forrest
08-24-2005, 10:43 AM
When it comes to BUI manslaughter, this is reality:

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/ActiveInmates/detail.asp?Bookmark=1&From=list&SessionID=973931017
(if the above link has expired, plug in L25026 in the DC Number search field)

Does anyone from South Florida remember this case?

Very unfortunate indeed.

Frank, sorry to hear that about your dad.

Sam
08-24-2005, 10:44 AM
We can go on forever about this but the fact of the matter is "Dead is Dead" and he made the choice to take the risk of running at night with the possibility of injuring or killing someone and lost. I have great sympathy for his family for they are now also victims as well through no fault of thier own. That's all I have to say on this subject.

cigarette30
08-24-2005, 10:59 AM
Man, it is so unfortunate that it takes such a tragedy to make many of us all really think. Many of us have not been "perfect", and if one thing must come out of this incident, it is for all of us to reflect just how precious life is, and obviously that when we do irresponsible things, such as over pushing the limits of our boats, day or night, with or without that "one drink", the time could come to find ourselves in the same boat. It's really not worth it. There could always be other circumstances that contribute to an accident, ie: no lights etc., but we are still more responsible, by exceeding a safe speed and/or alcohol usage.

Frank, my God be with you and your healing process, your words are moving.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
08-24-2005, 11:11 AM
Forrest, I do recall the name.
Whatever happened to the big BAJA case on Winni (I think it was Winni), guy told authorities he hit something the next day etc.

I guess in this case, Mark issued a public statement last night, very short etc.

Has anyone heard or seen the damage to the 38ZR? Just curious.

Frank, a moving post, sorry to hear all that.

As one post said, tradgedy does make you think, I have lost allot this year also, but life must go on.

Bryan Tuvell

Woodsy
08-24-2005, 11:29 AM
The Winni case was pretty similar, except speed wasn't a factor. The guy driving the 36" Baja ran up over the stern of the other boat (a 22' Wellcraft)at about 28mph. He killed one person in the other boat then fled the scene. Because of a loophole in NH law, leaving the scene was not a crime (it is now). Although BWI was seriously suspected, it couldn't be proven. He was however convicted of Negligent Homicide as a result of failing to keep a proper lookout. He appealed his case to the NH Supreme Court and lost. He is now doing 2 1/2 to 7 years in prison. If that same accident happened on Winni now, the penalties would be much stiffer... somewhere along the lines of 10 - 15 yrs... the legislature closed alot of loopholes exposed by this case.

Frank... so very sorry to hear about your dad... I can't even fathom that grief...

Woodsy

Johntrip
08-24-2005, 12:06 PM
This entire thread has me stopped in my tracks..!! Like Poodle I'm frequently out in the Bay at night. It's just to hot in the Summer and day time traffic and the (marina) my god the marina is rediculously overcrowded with drunks in the afternoon. An evening cruise has always felt like a well kept secret down here. You bet I'll be thinkin about this situation on my future excursions.

Frank, your wanna the nicest guys I've talked to since I've been introduced to Donzi, and after reading your post.... man... all I can say is my heart goes out to you. My grandfather had a heart attack at 64 and died in my arms the night after hurricane Andrew. I still think about that night everyday. But, thats not even close to the tragedy you've endured. We all have our reasons for admiring our Donzis but yours Frank is one of the most admirable.

donzi182003
08-24-2005, 12:14 PM
This is the worst thing that could ever happen to a boater. Im going to be much more careful when i go out at night here on our Bay. I do not have to change my driving skills but I definitely have to watch out for others who are riding in much bigger boats than I am. I never take it above 30 MPH for this reason. I too am one who owns a jon boat and has gone lobstering at night and I realize how hard it would be to see such a small craft. Mr. Civitano, I am sorry to hear that you had such an unfortunate event occur in your life. God Bless.

Ed Portas

Voodoocanoe
08-24-2005, 01:17 PM
As much as I love to go out and put the throttle down it makes me sick to hear stories like this. In my opinion it's occurances like this that will do the rest of us in, just ask the lake Winni folks. I for one would have no problem supporting a BAN on all high speed boating at night. I've seen many examples of this kind of thing happening on my local waters. From boat's slaming into docks running aground and or deadly collisions. I'ts nothing for me to be sitting outdside at night and hear a go-fast boat hauling @%# in pitch black. I would love to go out and fish at night or take a slow cruise with the wife but the risk to great. Now the question is what is high speed and how do you inforce it. Just my 2 cents.

Sam

Sam,
I couldn't agree with you more, We hear those guys hauling ass all night long, the wife and I just look at each other and shake our heads, not only are there navigation hazards that can't be seen, everything changes at night. Many operators don't realize how the nav lights work to determine the direction of a moving vessel. One thing that should be changed is the location of the anchor light on those funny looking botes with the big stick in the middle, for some reason they are on the top of the mast, fine they can be seen from a greater distance, BUT the problem is when they are anchored near land, if you are traveling from out in the lake at night and heading towards land, their light being elevated that far up gives the illusion that it is just one of the many city lights :eek: I almost drove thru the side of a blowbote one night many years ago, I won't even get into the guy's fishing out there in the little aluminum boats without their lights on to save their batteries only to turn them on at the last minute or blind you with a flashlight.

Voodoocanoe
08-24-2005, 01:39 PM
Frank, I am sorry for what happened to your father, I'm not sure that I could have the same restraint that you and your family has to endure. Sad story on the salesman and the kids.

Shanghied Again
08-24-2005, 01:46 PM
First I want to thanks everyone for your thoughts this is a part of my life I try to keep to myself but I felt with the thread that is going on I just had to let everyone know how it feels?
I am in know way siding with the guy that caused the accident and he should be punished if everything points in the direction he caused, I just don't agree with hanging a person when he caused the accident (Yes)
He may have been irresponsible in every aspect by speeding at night, drinking and taking drugs, this is a unforgiven act of human courtesy and he took 3 lives two people and a dog that were out enjoying the same thing we all love this was totally uncalled for.

But understand his life is ruined no matter what the out come and if he does have a conciense, he will be reminded everyday of his life in what he did and how he took other peoples life while he was being irresponsibl.
I feel for his family as well, this is not a murderer that we are looking at an accident can happen to anyone of us at anytime and he will pay the price.

The way the law works now for DWI or DUI if you are found guilty of any Criminal activity: Including driving while under the influance, drugs etc by cosing bodily harm or death you can:
1) Have your boat siezed
2) Vehicle pulling your boat siezed
3) Loss Of insurance (Definetly) Insurance companys don't bend,
4) Open to any Liable Suit (Inocent or quilty)

If convicted of such a crime
1) Siezure of all property and personal belongings to be auctioned
2) No Insurance
3) Law Suits
4) Jail Time

The problem I see is when are people going to get the message and start playing by the rules. Is drinking that important that you can hurt, kill inocent folks and ruin your life forever. (This Is Just Not Worth It)

olredalert
08-24-2005, 02:09 PM
-------The other night, just a bit north of Sam on the St.Clair river, I heard what turned out to be three (3) 35/40 footers coming by running at least 80mph. They were actually running side by side at 11:00 at night. They had running lights but no forward pointing light of any kind. Jan and I have echoed just about all that has been said here in regard to "accident waiting to happen" comments. These three fellas and thier passengers werent coming from a bingo parlor the other night. Theres all kinds of debris in this river along with the aforementioned unlighted fisherman and everyone around here is pretty much waiting for the collision. Unfortunate but true!.........Bill S

Formula Jr
08-24-2005, 02:53 PM
I got a DUI about five years ago,
It was the best damn thing to happen to me.
All totaled, court costs, lawyer and diversion program
about $6000.00
The fact that my wakeup call came before I hurt anyone:
PRICELESS.

Chili 18
08-24-2005, 05:43 PM
Its all bad news from every perspective.

When I' m out at night, I keep it off plane. Being on the water is frought with risk. It demands respect. Definitely a lack of respect for the risks in this case. Dam shame :spit:

Greg K
08-24-2005, 06:01 PM
Update copied and pasted within the past 2 hours..

The Department of Game and Inland Fisheries has now arrested and charged 45-year-old Mark de Tournillon with two counts of involuntary manslaughter. Larry and Judi Lewis died Saturday night when de Tournillon's high speed performance boat crashed onto their cruiser.

Authorities tell us de Tournillon voluntarily turned himself in at the Bedford County Jail around 4:30 this afternoon, through the advice of his lawyer. He was then served the warrants and charged with the deaths of Lawrence and Judith Lewis.

The couple and their dog died Saturday night, after de Tournillon's high-performance speedboat ran into their cabin cruiser. Authorities say alcohol and speed were factors in the fatal crash.

According to a search warrant filed Monday, de Tournillon acknowledged taking prescription painkillers and drinking a glass of wine earlier that night.

Investigators say more charges may be filed in the case.

ChromeGorilla
08-24-2005, 09:56 PM
I knew that was coming..

boldts
08-24-2005, 11:34 PM
There is a passage that has always stuck in my head for some reason. "Let not others cast the first stone unless they too have not committed a sin." I think it goes something like that. Believe me, I'm not a Holy Roller attending church every Sunday.

I too like Formula Jr. got a DUI a number of years ago. My insurance went through the roofand the fines for a 21 year old were incredable. Frank, your story is so moving. I'm lucky to still have my father and I cherish every day I'm with him. While not in a boat, I have also experienced a death in which for the most part, I was responsible for making happen. I was not charged by law enforcement, but I live with thoughts in my mind that it wouldn't have happened if I had used better judgement.

I had a 67' Chevelle, mag wheels and the pride that many of us also hold for Donzi boats. I was involved in street drag racing with this car and the weekend cruising scene in our town. One night while hanging with friends at the local cruise in, a guy in a Camaro came in where we were and started doing donuts and throwing stones all over the hood of my car. This infuriated us and we jumped in my car to chase this guy down. Now, were talking a small town with a 2 lane road going down the middle of it. Not a 4 lane highway or road with lots of room. There were cars parked on the sides and people walking on the sidewalks. We caught up to this guy at the other end of town and when he saw us, he took off again. I passed him as we drag raced through town. Once in front of him, we approched a traffic light turning yellow and then red. I had the brakes locked up to stop for this light. All we heard was the sound of an engine as it shifts down and the 4 barrel opens up. The guy we had chased and then passed on this little 2 lane road through downtown had mashed the throttle and lucky for us, went around us. If he hadn't, we all would have been dead. Two friends of mine and me sitting at a red light being piled into by a wide open Camaro. The guy in the Camaro hit the intersection which had a up then down type hill and his car launched into the air hitting the pole that held the traffic light. The Camaro split in half killing him immediately. We didn't know that at the time. We were scared sh..less! All we could think to do was to get the He.. out of there. We went to my friends house and I couldn't stop shaking from seeing the car and then nothing but sparks flying in front of us. My mother was a nurse at the local hospital and I called her to see if anyone had been brought to the hospital from a bad accident. She said yes and the police were looking for a blue Chevy. I told her the Chevy they were looking for was mine. She said I needed to go to the police station. Oh my God, I'm going to be put into jail is all I could think at the time. My friends and I went to the police station and told them what had happened before, during and after the chase of the guy in the Camaro. They looked at my car for damage I guess to determine if I had hit the Camaro to cause the accident and we were released to go home. Maybe they could tell how shaken I was or maybe they needed more time to investigate what had happened.

Like I said, I was not charged with anything. Local news reported that alcohol and drugs were involved in the accident. Beer cans and mariwanna was found in what was left of the Camaro. All I know is that someone was watching over us that night. All 3 of us in my car could have been killed and for what? Because of a stupid reaction to someone doing donuts and throwing stones on to a metal object? I have to live with the memories of that night and knowing that if I hadn't chased that young man, maybe he'd still be with his family to this day. One day when I die, I'll have to answer to our maker. I thank God every day for the opportunity to still be alive and living on earth.

The man from this thread who made a stupid mistake by driving a high performance boat under the influence of alcohol and drugs will have to answer one day to his maker. In the mean time, like me, the memories of that night and the concequences of his actions will effect everyone involved. All their lives will never be the same again. How many of us can say we've never made a mistake in life? Only difference is that most of us have gotten away with it so far. Lets learn from this man's mistake. Alcohol and high performance boats should never be put together just like automobiles and alcohol should never be together. If your partying, leave your keys in the hands of someone not partying or a designated driver.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
08-25-2005, 08:29 AM
I just watched this video, it shows the cruiser and the events of the evening.
Bryan

http://www.wdbj7.com/Global/story.asp?S=3752448

undertaker
08-25-2005, 08:33 AM
Very Sad....

cigarette30
08-25-2005, 11:35 AM
How many of us can say we've never made a mistake in life? Only difference is that most of us have gotten away with it so far. Lets learn from this man's mistake. Alcohol and high performance boats should never be put together just like automobiles and alcohol should never be together. If your partying, leave your keys in the hands of someone not partying or a designated driver.

My thoughts exactly, pray and extend compassion for the loss of what appears to be very good people, and learn from the survivor.

Forrest
08-25-2005, 11:52 AM
Forrest, Jay Colonna (http://www.rbbi.com/folders/acc/ftlaud2/ftlaud2.htm) was a friend of mine.. I remember this vividly.

Scott, I searched all over for that link but without success. That's one story everyone here should read in its entirety. I know that accident touched a lot of people in South Florida, but had no idea that you were directly affected. I'm so sorry.

These night-time high-speed BUI fatal accidents are totally inexcusable, and in the case of Stanley Cameron (http://www.dc.state.fl.us/ActiveInmates/detail.asp?Bookmark=1&From=list&SessionID=971725221), it was obvious that the jury felt the same way.

cigarette30
08-25-2005, 12:44 PM
Scott, I searched all over for that link but without success

Forrest, search by "Stanley Cameron Broward", first link Fort Lauderdale Boat Accident #2 .... awesome coverage, very sad story however.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
08-25-2005, 04:20 PM
WOW! I went to that search on GOOGLE, what a story, a long read, but an eye opener. MADPOODLE what was the other side of the story, just curious, this type of stuff interests me.

I am just in from work and don't have an update on Mark, but I will soon.
Bryan

joseph m. hahnl
08-25-2005, 05:23 PM
alcholism is a disease not a crime. and it is sad that it takes a fatality before some one gets the help they need.some people can have one drink and they become a completely different person."instant asshole just add beer".
should they be held acountable for this temporary insanity? if you murder some one over jeolous rage it is temporary insanity and they don't. well we know they due hold you accountable and the answer is yes they should. but it is sad because alcohol can make the smartest and the most level headed person into an irational idiot. i grew up partying as a teenager and a lot of those people i grew up with have killed or been killed. so who can you really blame. there is'nt a just answer. it is what it is. abraham lincoln said about alcohol"the injuries come not from the use of a bad thing,but the misuse of a good thing".

death is the wost thing that can happen in life. and when people die around us it makes us feel our own mortality. it makes us reflect on our own lives and the ones who have allready left us behind. and "i say this not as to upset any one" but "better you than me" meaning i can go on with out any one as painful as it might be. but with out myself there is no being.

joe

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
08-25-2005, 05:28 PM
death is the wost thing that can happen in life. and when people die around us it makes us feel our own mortality. it makes us reflect on our own lives and the ones who have allready left us behind. and "i say this not as to upset any one" but "better you than me" meaning i can go on with out any one as painful as it might be. but with out myself there is no being.

joe

Interesting point, that from the selfish bastard I am.
Bryan

Cuda
08-25-2005, 05:44 PM
I'm sorry, but I just can't generate any sympathy for the driver. He didn't accidently throw down some pain killers or wine.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
08-25-2005, 05:46 PM
Thanks MPoodle, I just finished reading a bunch of 97 and 98 posts about that accident, the pictures were unreal! Another shame.

I hope your well MP, we'll talk soon before my two new holes get drilled in my transom! LOL :rolleyes:
Bryan

fasttrucker
08-25-2005, 06:32 PM
I talked to mark around 4/5 years ago about a new 26zx he had for sale.Ive never met him, but I feel real bad for him and the others that died.Maybe its time to outlaw high speed night boating?

blackhawk
08-25-2005, 11:04 PM
There is a passage that has always stuck in my head for some reason. "Let not others cast the first stone unless they too have not committed a sin." I think it goes something like that. Believe me, I'm not a Holy Roller attending church every Sunday.

I too like Formula Jr. got a DUI a number of years ago. My insurance went through the roofand the fines for a 21 year old were incredable. Frank, your story is so moving. I'm lucky to still have my father and I cherish every day I'm with him. While not in a boat, I have also experienced a death in which for the most part, I was responsible for making happen. I was not charged by law enforcement, but I live with thoughts in my mind that it wouldn't have happened if I had used better judgement.

I had a 67' Chevelle, mag wheels and the pride that many of us also hold for Donzi boats. I was involved in street drag racing with this car and the weekend cruising scene in our town. One night while hanging with friends at the local cruise in, a guy in a Camaro came in where we were and started doing donuts and throwing stones all over the hood of my car. This infuriated us and we jumped in my car to chase this guy down. Now, were talking a small town with a 2 lane road going down the middle of it. Not a 4 lane highway or road with lots of room. There were cars parked on the sides and people walking on the sidewalks. We caught up to this guy at the other end of town and when he saw us, he took off again. I passed him as we drag raced through town. Once in front of him, we approched a traffic light turning yellow and then red. I had the brakes locked up to stop for this light. All we heard was the sound of an engine as it shifts down and the 4 barrel opens up. The guy we had chased and then passed on this little 2 lane road through downtown had mashed the throttle and lucky for us, went around us. If he hadn't, we all would have been dead. Two friends of mine and me sitting at a red light being piled into by a wide open Camaro. The guy in the Camaro hit the intersection which had a up then down type hill and his car launched into the air hitting the pole that held the traffic light. The Camaro split in half killing him immediately. We didn't know that at the time. We were scared sh..less! All we could think to do was to get the He.. out of there. We went to my friends house and I couldn't stop shaking from seeing the car and then nothing but sparks flying in front of us. My mother was a nurse at the local hospital and I called her to see if anyone had been brought to the hospital from a bad accident. She said yes and the police were looking for a blue Chevy. I told her the Chevy they were looking for was mine. She said I needed to go to the police station. Oh my God, I'm going to be put into jail is all I could think at the time. My friends and I went to the police station and told them what had happened before, during and after the chase of the guy in the Camaro. They looked at my car for damage I guess to determine if I had hit the Camaro to cause the accident and we were released to go home. Maybe they could tell how shaken I was or maybe they needed more time to investigate what had happened.

Like I said, I was not charged with anything. Local news reported that alcohol and drugs were involved in the accident. Beer cans and mariwanna was found in what was left of the Camaro. All I know is that someone was watching over us that night. All 3 of us in my car could have been killed and for what? Because of a stupid reaction to someone doing donuts and throwing stones on to a metal object? I have to live with the memories of that night and knowing that if I hadn't chased that young man, maybe he'd still be with his family to this day. One day when I die, I'll have to answer to our maker. I thank God every day for the opportunity to still be alive and living on earth.

The man from this thread who made a stupid mistake by driving a high performance boat under the influence of alcohol and drugs will have to answer one day to his maker. In the mean time, like me, the memories of that night and the concequences of his actions will effect everyone involved. All their lives will never be the same again. How many of us can say we've never made a mistake in life? Only difference is that most of us have gotten away with it so far. Lets learn from this man's mistake. Alcohol and high performance boats should never be put together just like automobiles and alcohol should never be together. If your partying, leave your keys in the hands of someone not partying or a designated driver.

Way to put it into perspective! I think most of us have done something "stupid" that endangered other people's lives at some point and time. I know in my younger days my friends an I "got lucky" on SEVERAL occasions! This man screwed up big time, used bad judgement, caused a fatal accident and now must deal with the guilt everyday. If it wasn't for bad judgement there would be no accidents. Bottom line, this is a tradgedy on both sides and my thoughts go out to all the family members involved.

knots2u
09-22-2005, 07:11 PM
drugs + alcohol + high performance boats = $12,000,000.

Here's the latest: Lawsuit's filed (http://www.wsls.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSLS/MGArticle/SLS_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031785214863)

Cuda
09-22-2005, 07:34 PM
The .12 BAL sounds a lot higher than one glass of wine.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
09-23-2005, 09:27 PM
CUDA, I hear ya.
A very sad story. I won't say too much else.
I believe in the justice system.
This incident sure has made me think before that 2nd drink.

But just remember, O.J. got justice too.
Bryan

markdonzi
09-26-2005, 07:48 AM
For several years I had a towing business on Lake george ( so I could write my old boat off) but got an occasional call at night to come and tow boats for the sherriff dept. I would say that 90% of the night accidents I showed up at involved alcohol and speed. I am older now but was younger and stupid once. I had a friend who was killed when a 16 foot donzi hit the back of the boat he was riding in. Both were drunk and driving without lights at a high rate of speed. The Donzi launched over the Sea Ray i believe and the outdrive decapitated the deceased. Other lakes need to set night time and day time speed limits to help reduce these incidents. On Lake George the day time is 45mph and nighttime 25 but the enforcers and there are a lot of them on Lake George use prudence during the day and let the fast boats have fun as long as they are not endangering others or themselves.
Having children now I worry about them and going out at night. Everyone at sometime makes dumb choices and I hope they will be OK as I was and learn from the poor choices. That said someone who is 45 almost as old as me should have learned by now and probably does not deserve the same leniancy(sp) as a younger 22 year old kid. That said I feel for both parties involved and wish the incident had never happened. we have friends down on Smith Mt Lake and it is a beautiful place.

markdonzi

Woodsy
09-26-2005, 08:55 AM
All of the rules and speed limits in the world will not stop stoopid negligent behavior... If someone is going to drink to excess then drive (any vehicle), knowing full well that DWI is illegal and DWI laws are strongly enforced, then an additional speed limit law is pointless.

Unfortunately, you cannot legislate common sense. I really don't care what the excuse is, he drank, he drove, he commited murder... he will now go to jail... too bad! The guy is a moron. It is a tragedy that could have certainly been prevented, had he paused to think...

I am certainly not a saint, I have driven drunk in the past among other really stoopid actions, and have not been hurt or hurt someone else. If I have too much to drink, I call a cab, or we designate a driver or I just plain walk home...

Woodsy