PDA

View Full Version : Grudge Race

DonCig
08-19-2005, 05:24 PM
Wes and I have set up a grudge race between our two 90's Classic 18's at PK.

I need every advantage that I can get to smoke this guy. Please private message me any tips outside the normal ones of "throw out all the weight" and "run on an empty gas tank". We have a $300 bet on this race, so I need to keep my performance mods within reason.
I have a 1997 350 MAG MPI Gen + Engine.

Can I play with the timing advance?
Will fuel grade make any difference?
Can I put in a higher degree thermostat?
Can I wetsand the bottom?
Can I swap his prop when he is not looking?

Any help would be appreciated.
Remember, please private message me your suggestions. Wes might be watching this thread!

Thanks,

DonCig

txtaz
08-19-2005, 06:59 PM
I'm watching.....

BTW, the skunk works is in full operations. I just cleared my schedule for the next month to prepare. I'm thinking we will gut the interior, add a role cage and cut holes to lighten the hull. Labbed 25 up to 26 or 27. Whipple, where's my whipple. It was just here a minute ago. I've heard if you drill holes in your connecting rods it lessens the rotating mass.

OR maybe, I'll just wax it up and add some AV fuel and run the 25. Save time and drink beer. :beer:

Anonymous

DonCig
08-19-2005, 07:55 PM
Hey, I removed the windshield, added a rebuilt Blackhawk Drive, had the props massaged by bblades, threw in some Mobil 1, threw out all the life jackets, pulled out the carpet.

What more can I do?

Geoo and Rootsy, where are you when I need you?

DonCig

JPR
08-19-2005, 08:03 PM
First you start with a positive mental attitude....

Mr X
08-19-2005, 08:07 PM
Drain the gear lube out of the drive and fill with tranny fluid. We used to do that for the kilo runs. Its only good for about 5 miles at WOT, then BOOM!

txtaz
08-19-2005, 08:24 PM
Drain the gear lube out of the drive and fill with tranny fluid. We used to do that for the kilo runs. Its only good for about 5 miles at WOT, then BOOM!
Geeessshhhh, I never thought of a drive as an expendable item.

Ed Donnelly
08-19-2005, 08:25 PM
Don; This is in code so Wes won't be able to read it.
The night before the race(around 4 a.m.) Stuff 10, 50 lb. bags of sand up in the bow of his Donzi. That should slow him down enough for you to win the next day.............Ed

Ed Donnelly
08-19-2005, 08:30 PM
Wes; I know you will be reading all these posts, so you know how to plan ahead..
This is in code so Don won't be able to read this.
The night before the race(around 2 a.m.) stuff 10, 50 lb. bags of sand up in the bow of his Donzi. This should give you the edge to beat him......Ed

DonCig
08-19-2005, 08:38 PM
Ed, thanks. I converted the code as you described in your PM (private message). (The same PM that you did not send to Wes.)

The sand bags are really “Mark & Polly & Todd’s Margaritas. Having had them hidden in my bow at AOTH, I can attest that they will slow you down by a few miles per hour.

Thanks, I think I have him in the bag!

Don

txtaz
08-19-2005, 08:52 PM
Ed Thanks for the tip, I used my secret decoder ring to decipher your message. If I am correct, I need to place 10, 50 lb jugs of margaritas in the bow of Dons boat the night before the race and keep Polly away. And there's this thing about smelling exhaust...I don't even smoke.
:rlol: :rlol: :rlol:

GEOO
08-19-2005, 09:28 PM
HUM!!! :cistineb:

ITTLFLI
08-20-2005, 09:35 AM
Put panty hose on your head for less drag :party:

roadtrip se
08-20-2005, 11:41 AM
Put panty hose on your head for less drag :party:

Nobody has ever really thought of what THEY do the performance of their Donzi. I dropped thirty pounds in the off season for a ski trip and I swear I'm another mile or two faster in the RTSE.

I would also wait to smile, until after you are a long way ahead of Wes, because that big grin has got to slow you down.

I would also leave all 230+ pound passengers back at the dock... ummm,
skip that one, I was hoping to get a ride. Of course, we could put Baxter in Wes's C-18 which would give you both the same handicap.

And of course there is the margaritas, snacks, and other necessary items for the proper celebration at Hell's Gates. We'll just put that in Polly's boat, because you got have'em!

I also find motor hatches, perko hardware, cleats, and those fancy seats to be excess weight on the drag strip.

Broadway at PK is going to be ugly at the end of September.

picklefish
08-20-2005, 12:29 PM
Don't forget to wax and polish all surfaces, get a special tonneau cover that leaves only the driver's seat open to keep air out of the cockpit, wear a special low friction rubberized suit (like those speed skiers do), a tear-drop bicycle helmet, aviation fuel, and a bottle of nitrous.

Hotspare
08-20-2005, 02:41 PM
Don ......

If your really lookin to smoke this guy and willing to put your hat on backwards for a few minutes ..........

This will be a clear advantage and an absolute Blast too boot .......

I know where you can pick up an M-30 Jet Assist Unit ,,,,, (JATO) Rated at 2,500 Lbs Thrust with 30 sec Duration ...... Not only will you Smoke this guy ,,,,,,, All he'll ever see is Smoke ...........LOL...

And you can leave your prop at the dock, less weight you know ........LOL...

See you at PK ........

blackhawk
08-20-2005, 04:26 PM
Don't forget to wax and polish all surfaces, get a special tonneau cover that leaves only the driver's seat open to keep air out of the cockpit, wear a special low friction rubberized suit (like those speed skiers do), a tear-drop bicycle helmet, aviation fuel, and a bottle of nitrous.

Great advice! But don't forget to get a clean shave just before the run and wax your face! That's good for at least .2 mph! :biggrin.:

Also, don't use av gas, higher octane will actually slow you down. Use the 2 year old 87 octane lawn mower gas in the garage. :biggrin.:

Ed Donnelly
08-20-2005, 06:44 PM
Mug some little old lady and take her oxy bottle.
Run the line into your manifold, and grasp the bottle between your legs.
If you find yourself losing, crank open the valve and hope the race is over before you melt your pistons........Ed

joseph m. hahnl
08-21-2005, 10:03 AM
drink the margarita's the night before. keep toasting to victory with wes. dump yours out . the next day he'll be so hung over he'll be to sea sick to want to get in the boat . and the thru the hull will be to loud for his spliting head ache. he'll never get it over a 1000 rpm . call him on the forfit. and take the $300. and buy more margarita's

joe.

PS :when in doubt. it is allways better to bet beer than money. people are allways willing to share the buzz .

joseph m. hahnl
08-25-2005, 07:23 PM
Don: so who won the grudge race. disturbed minds want to know.
don't worry if you got spanked. you can tell us. i promise we won't rub it in! well what was the out come??????????????????????????????????????

LoneStarDonziGirl
08-26-2005, 12:23 AM
Ok Guys,

Since my name has been mentioned (quite often) in this post I felt it was time for me to put in my 2 cents worth. Are you ready? Wes, you will not be allowed to race in the PFD I saw you with this past weekend. You must get on the ball and get a new one ordered!!! Also, Don, you must wear your PFD while racing Wes. Your wife would not want it any other way. Ok, I am now off my soap box and going to bed. Goodnight!

PJ

txtaz
08-26-2005, 03:39 AM
Ok Guys,

Since my name has been mentioned (quite often) in this post I felt it was time for me to put in my 2 cents worth. Are you ready? Wes, you will not be allowed to race in the PFD I saw you with this past weekend. You must get on the ball and get a new one ordered!!! Also, Don, you must wear your PFD while racing Wes. Your wife would not want it any other way. Ok, I am now off my soap box and going to bed. Goodnight!

PJ
What's wrong with these??? Are you saying these are not speed rated??? :biggrin.:
Wes

roadtrip se
08-26-2005, 08:56 AM
Is that dang Yorkie I heard about from a few years back the only one with sense enough to wear a decent vest? The only thing that orange POC needs is a couple of grab handles on the back, so we can scoop you up out of the water...

And trust me, I have learned to listen to the lady, it can be painful not to...

Check this out...

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40968

txtaz
08-26-2005, 09:03 AM
Roadtrip, It was a joke from when we were out boating together. I had left my good jacket in the Jeep and raced some "groupie" without a jacket. Yup she got all over me for that one, so I put the orange one on as a joke.
I still want a lifeline.
Wes

marcdups
08-26-2005, 09:13 AM
DONZICIG, you have mail !!!

txtaz
08-26-2005, 09:46 AM
DONZICIG, you have mail !!!
Ohhhhhh, Don't be helping him....He doesn't need it. :biggrin:

Carl C
08-26-2005, 11:02 AM
I like nitrous oxide. It is good only for relatively short runs. With EFI you could use a small "dry" system. Just the advantage you need! :D

txtaz
08-28-2005, 07:02 AM
OK, first tip for Doncig on slowing down Taz..

In code of course.......

A 18" crescent wrench is the ideal tool for midnight prop repitching...

Quieter then a ball peen hammer too :) :)

Be sure to tweak the blades to different pitches....
Hey go pump out your living room or something. :wavey: Everyone is giving DonCig all the advice, who's on my team???
Wes

gcarter
08-28-2005, 07:11 AM
Hey go pump out your living room or something. :wavey: Everyone is giving DonCig all the advice, who's on my team???
Wes
Hey Wes, I'm on your side!!!(lot of good it will do), I have to support you, You're from Texas!!!

Cuda
08-28-2005, 07:20 AM
I just want a clean fight. No punching in the clinches or on the break. Now shake props, and come out racing. :)

txtaz
08-28-2005, 07:52 AM
Hey Wes, I'm on your side!!!(lot of good it will do), I have to support you, You're from Texas!!!
George, I knew I could count on you. Moral support in the tank is better than AV fuel or nitrous.
Wes

Ed Donnelly
08-28-2005, 03:05 PM
Wes; You know I am in your corner.
(You are still in charge of the auctions, and, can delete higher bids than mine}
I have NEVER lost a race.
I have NEVER revealed my secret.
So, here goes.
The night before the race, place a really big plastic pyramid over your engine.
(This will direct all the cosmic energy into your engine)
Then in the morning, tape 2 small pyramids on your valve covers.
After the race, call me and thank me............Ed

DONZI
08-28-2005, 04:10 PM
;) BOAT BRAKES will add a new dimension of enjoyment and safety to the time you spend on the water. Designed to be fully adjustable while in use, BOAT BRAKES unique dual-control rope anti-spiral design also permits tandem use when additional drag is needed.

txtaz
08-28-2005, 07:52 PM
;) BOAT BRAKES will add a new dimension of enjoyment and safety to the time you spend on the water. Designed to be fully adjustable while in use, BOAT BRAKES unique dual-control rope anti-spiral design also permits tandem use when additional drag is needed.
Donzi, is it possible to get that with remote activation (remote control)? Might be better than the margaritas in the bow trick...

Ed, I'm starting to worry dude... :jestera: :jestera:

Wes

Richard Rees
08-28-2005, 09:33 PM
Wes, I hate to be the bearer of bad news,but I have seen Don's boat run and I seen yours run, My money is on the white boat.

boxy
08-28-2005, 09:36 PM
Wes; You know I am in your corner.
(You are still in charge of the auctions, and, can delete higher bids than mine}
I have NEVER lost a race.
I have NEVER revealed my secret.
So, here goes.
The night before the race, place a really big plastic pyramid over your engine.
(This will direct all the cosmic energy into your engine)
Then in the morning, tape 2 small pyramids on your valve covers.
After the race, call me and thank me............Ed

Ed, it didn't work for Harold Ballard, and it's not going to work for Wes.....

txtaz
08-29-2005, 06:15 AM
Wes, I hate to be the bearer of bad news,but I have seen Don's boat run and I seen yours run, My money is on the white boat.
Richard, Lighten up dude. You can't seriously think I plan on winning.
Now pull on your funny bone and come up with some weird way the underdog can win.
Taz <----The underdog

Carl C
08-29-2005, 07:50 AM
Ultra high octane av gas or racing fuel can actually slow you down if it's not needed. Use 94 octane pump gas or mix it 50/50. High octane does not equal more power. It actually burns slower to resist detonation.

martiniboat
08-29-2005, 09:04 AM
Wes, get those tabs on! :D You'll need em' to safely wring out EVERY last mph!

Ed- I wondered what that triangular 'hat' was all about, (that you were wearing at the boat show when we met) now it all makes sense!:bonk: :D :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Brian

thriller
08-29-2005, 10:17 AM
Wes,

Tabs are a must.....And I would be thinking of throwing on a 1:36 Bravo along with one of Roadtrip's collection of props!:idea:

Don,
I've seen what's under his hood:eek:

Mount a Binini top on Don's boat while he's sawing logs at 3 am:jestera:

Mike Miller

ps Your hull needs a little "Frenzy"

txtaz
08-29-2005, 07:58 PM
Wes,

Tabs are a must.....And I would be thinking of throwing on a 1:36 Bravo along with one of Roadtrip's collection of props!:idea:

Mike, I have tabs silly, but I just won a pair of Victories in the auctions. Sweet. Why don't you come down a little early to help put them on...

Mount a Binini top on Don's boat while he's sawing logs at 3 am:jestera:

You canadian's can be brutal. I'm not sure I would do that to me worst enemy... :biggrin.: :bonk:

Hey Don, I'm at least 1 oz lighter for the race after getting the tooth cut out. I swear what we'll do to win a race.

Jefe, Is the tooth fairy coming tonight with my little gift? Leave the tutu at home. :shades:
Wes <---- Still on drugs

blackhawk
08-29-2005, 08:50 PM
Ultra high octane av gas or racing fuel can actually slow you down if it's not needed. Use 94 octane pump gas or mix it 50/50. High octane does not equal more power. It actually burns slower to resist detonation.

Exactly, like I said in my first post use the two year old 87 octane lawn mower gas. Lower octane will make more heat and heat=hp! :D

farmer tx
08-29-2005, 10:56 PM
Wes, Why don't you let Jennifer drive(and you sit on the dock) against Don, that way there will be a reduction of about 150#, that should get you close to your desired speed. ( and if you get her to trail a bikini top from around her neck Don won't pass her anyway.

txtaz
08-30-2005, 01:45 AM
Wes, Why don't you let Jennifer drive(and you sit on the dock) against Don, that way there will be a reduction of about 150#, that should get you close to your desired speed. ( and if you get her to trail a bikini top from around her neck Don won't pass her anyway.
Ahahahahaha tooo funny. I bet that would work, but remember she was the one who ran a :convertib into her new house.
AND HEY!!!! I'm not that fat, we'd only save 80#'s. :yes:
Da Taz <---- Not weighing 250#s

DonCig
08-30-2005, 07:22 PM
Guys and Gals, in the endless pursuit of speed and BLING I have taken the advice of 12 Go Fast Registry Members (Wes, how about that for a support group!) and I have started removing the Merc. paint from my lower unit on the outdrive.

After 2 cans of aircraft paint remover and one can of Super Super Super Paint remover, I am now down to the point of final sanding. What grit sandpaper do you reccomend for minimum stiction and cosmetic bling?

Thanks,

DonCig

ps-pictures to follow once completed!

txtaz
08-30-2005, 07:37 PM
Hey Dude answer your phone....
Also, if you use 3M Imperial WetDry 40 grit on an orbital will work well. Press hard on the first pass. Then paint. Sand again this time with 60 grit. Paint. Sand 80 grit, etc etc until you get to 1500. Talk about smooth....It will take you some time so start early.
Anonymous
PS, What are you up to? I'm OOC for two weeks, then off to Florida and back in time for PK. No time for bling factor.

txtaz
08-30-2005, 07:44 PM
Ahhhh makes sense now after reviewing my posts from today. I know what it is. Are you going to have those planes done in time also? How about some of those shiney electromechanical actuators to go along with?
Taz <<---Da opposition

mrfixxall
08-31-2005, 02:23 PM
nitromethane in your fuel,,, but the engine will only last for a mile or so.....

p.s. put it in just before the race or you will brake your starter.........

blackhawk
08-31-2005, 02:40 PM
nitromethane in your fuel,,, but the engine will only last for a mile or so.....

p.s. put it in just before the race or you will brake your starter.........

A mile or so? That wouldn't be much of a race! :D

txtaz
08-31-2005, 03:36 PM
2 weeks off for a tooth??

Ya may as well concede the race and turn in your man card now... :D :D :D
Ohhhhh, you want the gorry version...fine...
After having the root canal done (without anesthetics I might add, just whiskey) they found a root was broken and it had to come out. So here are two husky dentists whaling away on this tool attached to a tooth. No luck. So after a few shots of Taquilla, out comes the drill...four sperarate pieces it comes out as...AND to boot, I get a new hole in my head between the mouth and sinus. After another swig of Taquilla I ask "WHAT the hell did you do?" to the cowering dentist. "It wasn't me, it wasn't me" said a meak voice. "Here's some drugs, go sleep it off". I just woke up.
I'll KEEP my man card thank you very much.
Da Taz <----Whiskey swilling, dentist killing maniac

DonCig
09-03-2005, 12:19 PM
Wes, while the dentist was grinding on your mouth, I was out grinding on the Blackhawk Outdrive looking for that last extra mph!

kkriina
09-04-2005, 12:51 PM
Wow looks really good.

I thought that the Bravo 1's gave more speed then the hawks?

txtaz
09-04-2005, 05:02 PM
Wow is that ever purddy.

My Bravo did 78.4 today on the lake and Richard can verify. So bling bling and all, let's get this match on.

I have to admit, you will look better than I when I'm passing you. LOL

Wes
PS, It really looks good.

onesubdrvr
09-04-2005, 07:23 PM
There is usually a selection in the GPS Setup that changes you from km/hr to m/hr

:wink:

Wayne

txtaz
09-04-2005, 07:44 PM
78.4??

On the lake????

Or on the way to the lake??? :D :D :D
I'm not telling....LOL

Richard Rees
09-05-2005, 08:58 AM
I had 5 people and a full tank of fuel in my boat, so it LOOKED like Wes was going 78.4 when he passed me.

roadtrip se
09-05-2005, 02:40 PM
I had 5 people and a full tank of fuel in my boat, so it LOOKED like Wes was going 78.4 when he passed me.

I've been in "races" like that before, usually running my largest Hydro Q4, aka the "wife pleaser" because of the smooth ride and handling it gives, and some Joker or Wes-like person wants to race...

DonCig
09-06-2005, 09:25 PM
Todd, quit giving Wes ideas, the next thing you know he will have Jennifer in the boat with him cat clawing his back.

aka 1000 Islands!

DonCig

txtaz
09-07-2005, 02:45 AM
I've been in "races" like that before, usually running my largest Hydro Q4, aka the "wife pleaser" because of the smooth ride and handling it gives, and some Joker or Wes-like person wants to race...
What in the world did I do to deserve this? OK buckwheat, you want a piece of this? Bring it on buddy... :spit: :biggrin.:
Ohhh and even though we haven't met, I stilll feel that you are a part of our extended family so I thought I would pass something on which may help you out. I don't know how to say this delicately so I'm just going to say it.

A "wife pleaser" is NOT a prop. :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol:

Let me know if I can help out in any other way......
Ahahahahahaha
Wes

roadtrip se
09-07-2005, 08:40 AM
A "wife pleaser" is NOT a prop. :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol:

Let me know if I can help out in any other way......
Ahahahahahaha
Wes

I'll have Jill ask you about this at the Round-Up.

See you in Texas!

Team Jefe
09-07-2005, 11:09 AM
OK - I tried to stay out of this, but I just can't stop myself

Wife Pleaser? - Jill knows its not a prop...I've already helped her with that....where's Todd? :wavey:

Don - Very shiney indeed, I think you should show it off during the race....trim all the way up and throw a huge rooster....now that's bling :wink:

Wes - You got one chance my brother....put the RBC in you boat...topless :eek: . I gar-on-tee nobody is going to pass that boat..VIVA la Tejas ! :us-texas:

I usually agree with my brother Cuda....but this time Screw the Maquis of Queensbury and fight dirty. bare knuckles, no time limit get-r-done London Prize Ring rules.....only thing is no hurting the Donzi's. I'll go John L Sullivan on on your ass :smash:

Any way we can do this on Friday? I'd really like to be in the RTSE and smoke both you dudes with Trip and me in the boat :checkered

Team Jefe
09-07-2005, 11:11 AM
Oh wait...the once and future Texas boat will not be making the trip with Trip.

Lucky, y'all are very lucky!?!?!

txtaz
09-16-2005, 12:38 PM
This race is STILL on and I don't need to read no stinking clock to go fast Mr. Pissy Fuzzy One.
The brides boobs are all I need. I could see DonCigs drooling on his posts. :smash:

So When you showing up to judge the event Mr Poodle??? Hymmmm, you've been awfull quiet lately.

El' Jefe, The race will be on Friday. DonCig has agreed that Donzi Angel should ride with him for ballast and run the broze prop. I'll run with MrsTxTaz and my new 23 Mirage +. Should be a good race.

Wes <---Da Taz is going to PK to kick some Coloradian booty.