PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Territory on the NorthEast River

Dr. Dan
08-18-2005, 09:55 PM
:wink: Well tonite I made the opportunity to head over to the Bay and test out the new Prop. We hit 80 mph...and it still had more in her...I kept running into some Traffic...but it was steady...unfortunately I was Solo, and I forgot to verify the RPM's so I will have to do more Testing.

But I was happy with it, my guess is there is a few more knotches to carve in the bedpost, but I am sure I will get it dialed in at Lake George in a couple weeks.

Also its only a 25 Pitch Prop...so if ya think about it...not bad for a turnkey fuel injected little 502. :spongebob

Hmmm...need to get this thing on a Dyno some day. :beer:

Doc of the Bay :cool:

roadtrip se
08-18-2005, 10:47 PM
I would predict 82-83 at Lk Geo with good air and all.

As for a dyno prediction, I would put money on it at somewhere betwen 530-540 HP. Only way to account for MY shortie meaning nothing when the evil twins run. MY Shortie should mean 5mph OR 15HP/MPH = 75 HP. Stock 500 is 470HP + 75HP = 545HP.

Gut says you still could use a little more pitch. The tach will tell the truth.

ChromeGorilla
08-18-2005, 11:25 PM
What prop was this Dan?

Dr. Dan
08-19-2005, 04:50 AM
:bonk: 25 Turbo TXP :banghead:

:wavey: RT...what are you talking about I don't have a shortie? :banghead:

:biggrin.: Anonymous :biggrin.:

ChromeGorilla
08-19-2005, 07:43 AM
RT...what are you talking about I don't have a shortie? :banghead:

Well, not on the boat anyway.... :biggrin.:

So how much throttle did you think you have left. I was gonna buy a 26P TXP here shortly, but maybe a 25 may be in order instead? Hmmmm...

roadtrip se
08-19-2005, 07:49 AM
it is confirmed, I have the shortie.

Chrome, I'm running a 28TXP. Very nice at the top
where the Mirage was always trying to play "mess with the driver"
to the joy of all observers around me.

Rootsy
08-19-2005, 08:04 AM
where the Mirage was always trying to play "mess with the driver"

i thought it was more along the lines of playing "bathe the passengers" :eek:

mattyboy
08-19-2005, 08:11 AM
"it's good to be the King" :) ;)

Dr. Dan
08-19-2005, 11:15 AM
:bonk: It is good to Drive a King Cobra ...apparently? Chrome I went with a 25 pitch strictly because I had an established base line performance with the regular 25 Turbo, it performed flawlessly and I wanted to see the difference in performance with the same exact pitch.

I only spent 15 minutes running it last night, so I can't comment on real specifics yet....I will keep ya posted, I am sure I was no where near the upper limit on the Motor, just based on how it sounded...it ran smooth as silk and behaved like I was running 60. So it was pretty cool.

Your boat runs well anyway, I would think you could turn the 26 also, but I don't know your boat. I still have a regular 27 pitch that I got rehubbed after spinning it on Lake George, I have not experimented with that yet at all.

My guess is I am gonna land in the 26 pitch area give or take...and it should be able to hit the lower 80's consistently.

Fact is when you are moving that quickly, ya run into other boat traffic,coming and going, and it happens in such a short time frame, so calm water is gonna have to be had when not many people are around. What will be telling is to see what it will do loaded with 4 people. It was able to do 75 plus before loaded and a full tank, time will tell if it is better than that...my guess is it will be similar, maybe with a tad more bite.

Fun though, gonna get interesting from here...2 more seasons before the next Phase of Improvements. Then it will be another goal, involving Triple Digits. None of that will come before the whole Boat is Re-Rigged, Drive to Steering and a couple of Revamped Internals on the Motor. Not to mention the splitting of the hull and redoing all of the stringers and the serious OffShore Cradle Engine Mounts.

The Torque is sooo strong in the current package, it is literally ripping the stringer gussets from the outside of the hull on the Starboard Side. Kinda disconcerting. But Todd is experiencing the same symptom.

:cool!: When you run faster, everything hits harder...and couple that to the structural loads it is producing and you are over the design limits of the "Stock Factory Construction"...... we are pushing the envelope, and it only costs money to do it.

Oh well, I am very happy with the overall package...and I would like to keep it the way it is for a couple of Seasons...if for no other reason than to take a deep financial breath...it's adding up fast. :banghead:

Doc of the Bay :rlol:

Greg K
08-19-2005, 04:51 PM
It is good to Drive a King Cobra ...apparently?
Of course it is... :yes:

The Torque is sooo strong in the current package, it is literally ripping the stringer gussets from the outside of the hull on the Starboard Side. Kinda disconcerting. But Todd is experiencing the same symptom.
Me too...what's up with that..:wink: :biggrin.:

Dr. Dan
08-19-2005, 05:11 PM
:beer: Torque - It's Whats For Dinner!!! :spongebob

Doc of "Twisted Members" :p

fasttrucker
08-21-2005, 11:04 AM
So,you came out to "my" backyard and you didnt call? :lightning Still dont want that spanking?.. :bawling: ..It sounds as if you might out race me now. :eek!: So ill just have to out-drive you! :shades: Ill be out this afternoon,like every weekend! :rolleyes:

Dr. Dan
08-21-2005, 01:00 PM
So,you came out to "my" backyard and you didnt call? :lightning Still dont want that spanking?.. :bawling: ..It sounds as if you might out race me now. :eek!: So ill just have to out-drive you! :shades: Ill be out this afternoon,like every weekend! :rolleyes:

:smash: Bill I drive like you do for a living so it's always a Crap Shoot if I will make it home early enough to get the boat ready, run an hour over to the Bay, Splash it and do the Reverse on the way home. Before it gets too dark ... I will likely be over during the week again, its a hell of alot less busy than during the weekends. Just depends on timing and my work schedule.

:wavey: Talk Soon

Doc :smash:

fasttrucker
08-22-2005, 06:18 PM
Iam thinking about going out late wed or thur,around 5pm if your able to make it call me on my cell 631-463-6634.bill...ill check back here tomorow. :D

Dr. Dan
08-22-2005, 08:30 PM
Iam thinking about going out late wed or thur,around 5pm if your able to make it call me on my cell 631-463-6634.bill...ill check back here tomorow. :D

:D OK, I spoke to Undertaker, he might be able to do something Thursday, he can't go any sooner do to work comittments. I will give ya a call, I have your Cell programmed in my phone... I should know by like 2:00pm on either day.

Talk Soon

Doc :wavey:

RickSE
08-23-2005, 12:13 PM

When you run faster, everything hits harder...and couple that to the structural loads it is producing and you are over the design limits of the "Stock Factory Construction"...... we are pushing the envelope, and it only costs money to do it.

Oh well, I am very happy with the overall package...and I would like to keep it the way it is for a couple of Seasons...if for no other reason than to take a deep financial breath...it's adding up fast.

You know I hate to say this but are you guys still wondered why the 22-SE's were so expensive??

Throw in 2-additional layers of glass, a 500 with an offshore bracket, external steering, glass the hull to deck joint, etc. etc.; the costs will add up quick. My boat is heavy but it's also rock solid and holding together. :crossfing

Nice results Doc, looking forward to hearing the RPM numbers. What's the diameter on the 25-P TXP?

Dr. Dan
08-23-2005, 05:55 PM
:spongebob Rick ... the diameter is 14.75 as oppossed the normal 14.25 on the Regular Turbos. Although the Blades are more Raked and more cupped, and it is constructed more like a labbed Prop, just not quite as thin on the outer edges.

When I split the hull, it will be getting more glass, an Offshore Bracket and other Structural Reinforcement. For now, I will continue to monitor it, and not hammer the living snot out of it...which I don't anyway.

Don't misunderstand me Rick, its not ripping the boat apart...its just more exaggerated Torque wear and tear...the Hull is solid...and its built better than most according to our Resident Donzi VP of Engineering.

I'll let ya know the RPM's when I get them. Might be able to go out this Thursday night.

Doc :beer:

fasttrucker
08-24-2005, 04:59 PM
Ok,Ill be able to go...I think? call me as early as you can on thur.if not iam going to put it in for the whole weekend keeping it in the water in my marina,.

Dr. Dan
08-28-2005, 09:45 PM
:spongebob Well, in spite of questionable weather, we eventually went out Saturday afternoon...with a Buddy who had a 26 Sonic with that cool 525SC...that boat ran well.

Anyway... we were completely full of fuel, had Liz and her friend, and we we able to cruise at 75 MPH on the way in from our little Raft Up... very cool, great mid range and it seems to bite hard...we were at 5100 rpms at that speed...so its consistent with previous performance numbers.

Just thought I'd give out some more info.

undertaker
08-29-2005, 09:00 AM
Damn Doc you are killing me :banghead: things are crazy here at work, sorry I did not call you about running this weekend, sounds like you had a nice day on the bay, damn I wish I could of got away this weekend :bonk: .

Undertaker :banghead:

PS Sounds like the TXP is the way to go great crusing speed.

Cuda
06-18-2006, 11:11 AM
:
When I split the hull, it will be getting more glass, an Offshore Bracket and other Structural Reinforcement.
I know this is an older thread, but it turns out I might have a line on a Blue Pill for Deb's boat, and I was wondering where you would put more glass in, since I've already got the deck off.