PDA

View Full Version : First Donzi, lots of Questions.

Carl C
08-18-2005, 02:59 PM
I just bought my first Donzi, a 22 Classic, from pier 57. I was told the boat listed for $62,000. I loved the boat, got good financing and bought it, sight unseen, for $52,500. It has a 496 HO, 4 speaker CD stereo, depth sounder, dual batteries and a cool aluminum air dam instead of the windshield. The boat can be seen at www.pier57.com (http://www.pier57.com). It's the only 22C in the Donzi section. I was satisfied dealing with Pier 57 and love the boat. 3 questions: 1. Did I get a good deal on this boat? 2.Can this boat handle the Great Lakes? 3. How many 22C's does Donzi build each year? :cool:

RedDog
08-18-2005, 03:16 PM
Can't answer your questions, but wow! Beautiful boat! Congratulations :D

ChromeGorilla
08-18-2005, 03:17 PM
Congrats! great looking boat. It has the AE fairing instead of windshield, I like :yes: . As far as an adequate boat for the great lake, dunno, never boated there. there are a few people from up your way much better suited to answer that question. Not sure on how many each year. And if your comfortable with what you paid, you got a good deal.

Ranman
08-18-2005, 03:23 PM
Not a terrible price for a 496HO boat on a trailer. They may come cheaper from time to time, but not by a ton.

I'm not sure on the production nummbers for the 22 Classic, but I would guess around 20-30 per year and that might be high.

It's a small boat for the Great Lakes. Michigan, Huron, etc can get snotty. You're in Clarkston, there are plenty of inland lakes to have fun on. Also, there are lots of Donzis on Lake St. Clair. We're having a gathering out on Lake St. Clair on August 27, If you have your boat by then, consider bringing it out for the day. you'll meet several of the local Donzi guys and we'd love to check out your rig. Good luck with her.

Another great classic heads to Michigan.

Sam
08-18-2005, 03:24 PM
Welcome ! Now to answer a couple of your questions. Did you get a good deal ? that depends on how you look at it. You have the boat, you like the boat and the deal is done. Some guys feel like the got a good deal only if they got the rock bottom price. In my opinion some things are worth paying for even if it's not the best price on the planet. Ok, as far as the great lakes that is a relative question. But I would say yes, given the right day. Heck, there were days on the big water that I was driven into port with a 38' 13.6 beam boat. On the other hand I have had my little 16' out on Lk Huron. I'll let someone else answer #3.

You need to give some serious thought to bringing your new ride out to Lk St Clair on 8-27, we are having a little Donzi gathering that day. You will meet some great people and get to know the lake and your boat much better. Give me a shout if you have any questions.

Sam

tamburello
08-18-2005, 03:32 PM
Carl - Congrats on your new Donzi, she looks sweet in the pic! :beer: I like the look of the fairing. :shades: :shades:

There are good number of 22s running on the great lakes. I run my 18 on Lake Michigan when the waves are 3' or less and it's a blast your 22 will be able to handle a bit more than my 18 and still have a comfortable ride. :convertib

Welcome to MADCOW! :beer: :beer:

- Jeff

Carl C
08-18-2005, 03:45 PM
I already have the boat. I have 38 hrs. going around and around Lake Oakland. I work Sat. And Sun., play Mon. thru Fri. I can't make the Lake St. Clair gig this year. I also need a better tow vehicle.:yes:

onesubdrvr
08-18-2005, 04:03 PM
I already have the boat. I have 38 hrs. going around and around Lake Oakland. I work Sat. And Sun., play Mon. thru Fri. I can't make the Lake St. Clair gig this year. I also need a better tow vehicle.:yes:

I want your job!! :smile:

Wayne

sweet 16 1966
08-18-2005, 05:31 PM
Me too!

What do you do?

I am willing to learn??

Jraysray
08-18-2005, 05:41 PM
Me too!

What do you do?

I am willing to learn??

Has to be in the medical field. My wife works two 16 hour shifts on Sat-Sun. They pay her the extra 8 hours to round it up to a 40 hour check for free. Its a good gig but hard on the weekend boating schedule.

Carl C
08-18-2005, 06:13 PM
I own and operate a flea market store.:wavey:

Sam
08-18-2005, 07:44 PM
Carl, I'll be out on the 26th as well if you want to come out for a while.

Sam

Carl C
08-18-2005, 07:50 PM
Thanx for the invite but I really need a better tow vehicle first.:frown: I'm looking forward to hitting the big water next year.:beer:

Magicallbill
08-19-2005, 12:41 PM

Wow...
Finally someone on the board with my hours....

Let's find a couple more, and we can start lobbying for weekday Donzi Gatherings.. That way ,maybe we can attend a couple..

Scott Boldt;Here's the next candidate for the Fall Cumberland week-long gathering!

Brad Lyon
08-19-2005, 07:26 PM
What a beautiful boat! Than again I am partial to the yellow sides with the yellow deck stripe. Welcome to the sickness.

Brad

GEOO
08-19-2005, 09:27 PM
Nice boat. Welcome to the family. Enjoy. Nothing beats a day with the Donzi. :lookaroun

Carl C
08-20-2005, 05:54 PM
I appreciate the input. I WILL be cruising the Great Lakes next summer. Have charts, GPS, VHF. Charlevoix, Grand Traverse Bay, Mackinac Island, Lk. St. Clair, Detroit River, Put-In Bay, Cedar Point - Look Out - I'm coming!:uzi:

Carl C
05-25-2011, 07:51 PM
I can't believe that my boat is going into it's 7th season already! It sure doesn't seem like almost 6 years have passed since my first post here. I didn't even know how to attach pics yet so here is a pic of my boat at Pier 57 in 2005. :beer:
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx275/CARLC222/22CPier57.jpg

Donzi_Dude
05-25-2011, 08:04 PM
awsome boat dude!

congrats!

Carl C
05-25-2011, 08:08 PM
awsome boat dude!
congrats!

Thanks but did you notice that I started this thread in '05? :)
Congrats are still cool though!

Fishermanjm
05-25-2011, 08:18 PM
Carl. In the first post you said the boat had a 496HO.... So
when did the 525 come into play?

Donzi_Dude
05-25-2011, 08:20 PM
congrats are because im well aware of the time and money you have into the boat and what you have transformed it into.

congrats! the boats is a standout. a best of breed when it comes to 22's and im partial to yellow!.

:)

jvcobra
05-25-2011, 08:21 PM
So are you ready to upgrade or are you content with the 22?

axelkloehn
05-26-2011, 03:00 AM
That's funny, I also thought why is Carl posting he just bought his first Donzi? I know his yellow beast with the yellow fairing?? Than I saw the thread started 2005....

Carl C
05-26-2011, 06:10 AM
Carl. In the first post you said the boat had a 496HO.... So
when did the 525 come into play?

I wanted a 525 all along. I was disappointed that the biggest engine Donzi offered at the time was the 496 HO. I am starting the third season with the 525.

congrats are because im well aware of the time and money you have into the boat and what you have transformed it into.
congrats! the boats is a standout. a best of breed when it comes to 22's and im partial to yellow!.
:)

I appreciate that! :)

So are you ready to upgrade or are you content with the 22?

Both....When I'm on the Great Lakes a 38 ZR would be so much more appropriate but I am married to the 22 for now which is OK because it gets me on the small lakes and the Great ones. I just have to be careful on the big water. I'd like to have a real cabin sometime too. I guess eventually I will move up but not any time soon. I still love driving this boat fast.

That's funny, I also thought why is Carl posting he just bought his first Donzi? I know his yellow beast with the yellow fairing?? Than I saw the thread started 2005....

I was just thinking how the years have been flying by. :lookaroun:

silverghost
05-26-2011, 11:32 AM
Carl~
At first I thought you were pulling our leg.

Then I wondered WHO was putting this six year old thread back to the top of the forum ?
After all~~~
Was it not YOU who called me on this very same issue several weeks ago ? :nilly:
No sweat~~~Its all cool~~~ :)

Carl C
05-26-2011, 03:30 PM
Carl~
At first I thought you were pulling our leg.

Then I wondered WHO was putting this six year old thread back to the top of the forum ?
After all~~~
Was it not YOU who called me on this very same issue several weeks ago ? :nilly:
No sweat~~~Its all cool~~~ :)

There are some great old threads here, some go back to 2000. No problem bringing them up for a reason. I just can't believe this is my 7th season! BTW I am still using my original cheapy batteries. They load tested good and I've beat the crap out of them. Now if the rain will just stop....

Offset
05-26-2011, 03:46 PM
Carl I too was confused but did not check the date. However when I went on line at Pier 57 there is a 1995 22' Classic for sale there which I assume is right now. They want $25,900 for it so in terms of retention of value I would say you have done alright if you bought a much newer boat at $52K.

Nice boat I like the yellow for sure. Hope you have many more great boating seasons ahead.

Carl C
05-26-2011, 04:01 PM
Carl I too was confused but did not check the date. However when I went on line at Pier 57 there is a 1995 22' Classic for sale there which I assume is right now. They want $25,900 for it so in terms of retention of value I would say you have done alright if you bought a much newer boat at $52K.
Nice boat I like the yellow for sure. Hope you have many more great boating seasons ahead.

I didn't think about people assuming that this is a new thread. I guess I screwed up. Here is the '95 you mentioned. I'd link it to the classified but they are locked down. I still like to drool over Pier 57s inventory once in a while.http://www.pier57.com/200838DonziZxfWhitee3x300.htm

Fishermanjm
05-27-2011, 07:20 AM
some day i will go up on the engine size in my classic, i need to get it out and use what i have for now,,, it is amazing how Donzi kept the same lines on thier boats, my '01 is the brother to that '95,,, little brother with a 6.2L,