PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Tips

BaldEagle
08-18-2005, 11:28 AM
I've been thinking about replacing my 18C factory exhaust tips with Livorsi w/ Flapper.. Any PROS/CONs to the Std. or long flat or angled cut.
Thanks,
Jeff

Ranman
08-18-2005, 12:25 PM
BE,

The only thing you really need to worry about is the mounting bolt hole pattern. I have slash cuts (45*) on my 18C and love the look over the salisbury flappers. I think the long straight cuts look mean too. I once tried to replace mine (IMCO's i think) with a set from Stainless Marine and found that the three mounting hole pattern was slightly off so I put the IMCO's back in and returned teh SSM's cause I didn't want to cut new holes..

Where in Michigan are you? We're having a MADCOW gathering on Lake St. Clair on Aug 27. Are you close by?

BaldEagle
08-18-2005, 12:47 PM
We're in Whitelake - Montague, MI. Other side of the state. Just got my 18C about a month ago so everything is a learning experiance. Do you have the long slash cuts or the short ones?
Jeff

BE,

The only thing you really need to worry about is the mounting bolt hole pattern. I have slash cuts (45*) on my 18C and love the look over the salisbury flappers. I think the long straight cuts look mean too. I once tried to replace mine (IMCO's i think) with a set from Stainless Marine and found that the three mounting hole pattern was slightly off so I put the IMCO's back in and returned teh SSM's cause I didn't want to cut new holes..

Where in Michigan are you? We're having a MADCOW gathering on Lake St. Clair on Aug 27. Are you close by?

BaldEagle
08-18-2005, 01:13 PM
Ranman, I'm also interested in a drive shower. I have a supposedly new version Bravo-1 but it has the flat top on it. Does anyone think one works better than the others. I was looking at the Livorsi Delux Bravo or the DSFCLI which has the tubes going up the sides.

Jeff

BE,

tamburello
08-18-2005, 02:27 PM
For a drive shower, I'd suggest the Simrek Halo http://driveshowers.com/. The Innovative Marine Showers are also a good choice http://www.innovativemarine.net/

- Jeff

Rootsy
08-18-2005, 03:23 PM
If you have corsa mufflers on the back you can remove them and put corsa tips, they will make whatever you want and the bolt pattern and diameter are the same.. internal flapper, etc.. bout 200 bucks +/-

i have short straight cuts with internal flappers on my 16...

Ranman
08-18-2005, 03:36 PM
I second the Simrek Showers. Halo model for Bravo is te best. Simple and effective. Check with Paul Kermis of Simrek regarding fitment on new Bravos.

Here's a link to my tips and old shower (Halo's on there now). You can see other pics on my Registry page. http://www.donzi.net/hull.cfm?id=352

Here's the pic:

http://www.donzi.net/hull/DNAC8015J697/water5.jpg

BaldEagle
08-18-2005, 04:20 PM
Right now I have what cazme from Donzi. I don't recall seeing any name on the tips. If I did it right heres a photo. Do these look like Corsa?

If you have corsa mufflers on the back you can remove them and put corsa tips, they will make whatever you want and the bolt pattern and diameter are the same.. internal flapper, etc.. bout 200 bucks +/-

i have short straight cuts with internal flappers on my 16...

ChromeGorilla
08-18-2005, 04:25 PM
Yes, those look like the Corsa cans.....

txtaz
08-18-2005, 04:33 PM
Hang on there may be tips in an auction soon.

tmdog
08-18-2005, 04:36 PM
I put EMI short tips w/ the 45* w/o flaps . To me they look great. The longer tips look too overwhelming on a 18C. IMO

BaldEagle
08-18-2005, 05:09 PM
I just realized this is a Corsa Quick & Quiet Exhaust. Duh.
Thanks for the input. I'll contact Corsa.

Right now I have what cazme from Donzi. I don't recall seeing any name on the tips. If I did it right heres a photo. Do these look like Corsa?

BaldEagle
08-18-2005, 05:31 PM
Did you have to drill new mounting holes?

I put EMI short tips w/ the 45* w/o flaps . To me they look great. The longer tips look too overwhelming on a 18C. IMO

BaldEagle
08-18-2005, 05:36 PM
I just noticed in the photos of Ranman's slash cuts that they look to be about 6" to the tips. The new Livorsis long slash cuts are now 6-1/4 and I haven't got anything back from Corsa yet. When you say you have the short ones how long are they to the tip?

Lenny
08-18-2005, 08:09 PM
I believe Poodle is referring to one of these styles. The Racers swear by them. It is all you see in the Pits for those that have them.

http://www.imcomarine.com/pages/nev-helm-steering2.html#drive%20shower

They also have an integrated top cap/shower that you can see on the Extreme Drives.

Ranman
08-18-2005, 08:58 PM
I'd check the seawater pump and see if it has the 1/4 fitting on the end cap where the 1.25" hoses connect. If so, you can tap off of that and feed one of the full cover style showers. Full time drive shower, no parasitic drag from the force feed style....

Then you're dealing with another through hull ordeal and way more complexity and cost. I've only heard of 1 story that claimed any noticable parasitic speed loss. Too many other stories like mine of 0 speed loss that invalidate the theory. Not saying the speed loss can't happen, just that is is very rare. I've run with and without the simrek and experienced less that 0.5 mph difference in top end. By far the best bang for the buck in showers out there.

BTW, it's not like there's too much to worry about with a Bravo pushing an 18. The shower's really there to keep the drive black, shiney and clean more so than cool. The reduced maintenance alone is worth the $$$.

Ranman
08-18-2005, 09:14 PM
Good points. But, one simple thru hull fitting is not a big deal. It also gives you a shower that doesnt interfere with the use of the drive as a boarding ladder.....

No, it's not a big deal, but you can't argue with the simplicity of the simrek design. I can vouch for the fact that the "Halo" model that wraps around the top cap, does not interfere with the big black boarding ladder.

Pool or Pond

or better yet

Po-tay-toe / Pa-tah-toe

tmdog
08-19-2005, 09:53 AM
Bald Eagle - - The angle tips I installed are 51/2" to angle tip. The top 2 holes were off by a little bit , so I epoxyed the holes and redrilled. No big deal. It did change the look of the transom, for the better. BTW in the EMI catalog they are classified as a standard tip opposed to a long tip which is 10 1/2" to tip

smokediver
08-19-2005, 02:48 PM
I installed Eddie Marine standard angle cut tips . I did get the ones that had the angled flange . Those required a lot of hand filing to get the tip in but with the angled flange , they point straight out the back , not on a little down angle ..

tmdog
08-19-2005, 04:18 PM
My flanges were cut across the top from the factory. So when i got the new tips w/ flanges they needed cutting, I ended up at my local machine shop to have them cut on top. He did a good job and charged me for 1 hr. shop time. 60 bucks. They totaled out to be a expensive upgrade. :banghead:

Hotspare
08-20-2005, 02:52 PM
I'm likeing my Lavorsi's ..........

BaldEagle
08-23-2005, 10:16 AM
I'm in touch with CORSA and they have the short angle cuts and say the bolt pattern is the same as my stock Quick & Quiets. I'll also look at the fitting on the seawater pump for a drive shower idea. It appears that the Simrek Halo has a better design as far as cooling goes because the distribution is better but the issue may be more of a house keeping one. I've noticed on my Bravo the top of it gets a coating on it. I'm assuming its from the heat although I don't know how much a Bravo is taxed with a 320 HP MPI on an 18C.

Ranman
08-23-2005, 12:50 PM
I've noticed on my Bravo the top of it gets a coating on it. I'm assuming its from the heat although I don't know how much a Bravo is taxed with a

The Simrek keeps my top cap (as well as the rest of the drive) clean as can be.

blackhawk
08-23-2005, 01:27 PM
I agree with poodle on the drive shower. The innovative marine sea water pump units are nice and you KNOW water is always getting to it no matter what speed, trim angle, etc, etc.

http://www.innovativemarine.net/SeaPump.html