PDA

View Full Version : Minx

Magic Float
12-07-2002, 08:20 PM
I alwaysliked the Minx,we sold several when were were a first time Donzi dealer in the mid 80's.Why did it disappear and not stay around with the 16,18,and 22?We have a customer who bought an 86 Minx,he has it in storage with about 30 hours on it,saving it for his sons when they are old enough. What was the deal on the Minx and why dont they offer it now?

Rodger
12-07-2002, 11:26 PM
I don't know whether it didn't sell as well as was expected or what the problem was. I thought it was a great boat. I almost bought a new 86 Minx. It has the agility of the 16 & 18 but a little more capable in the rougher water. 1st class styling also.

olredalert
12-07-2002, 11:45 PM
Magic Float,

-------As nice as the Minxs were,Im sure the factory felt that the 22 Classic and the Minx were just too close in concept.Right or wrong they seemed to overlap to some degree.JMHO..............Bill S....ol red!

Dalelama
12-08-2002, 05:28 AM
I personally feel that the Minx & Classic models are completly different boats... in style, hull design, beam and handling. I owned a Baby 16 OB and a Holman-Moody 18, and they were night & day compared to my Minx in the water.

I guess the Minx & Criterion types were just too much to produce along with the Classic designs.
I know that both were limited production compared to the other models. Someone knows the exact #'s... I don't.

It would take quite a bit of money & hardship for me to part with the Minx... difficult to replace, especially since I think the one I have was the ony one with the 320EFI.

Rodger
12-08-2002, 09:24 AM
Dalelama,
Where I do my boating at Lake Geneva, Wisconsin- a friend of mine has an 86 320 EFI Minx. It's dark blue and honey and very fast.

harbormaster
12-08-2002, 10:31 AM
I also know where there are 4 different folks with that same power in their 4 minx's.

harbormaster
12-08-2002, 11:37 AM
Just kidding Dale....

Dalelama
12-08-2002, 05:47 PM
I suppose I've got the only 87 w/ the 320EFI?

I was told ..."it's the only one"!

Mabey it's the ONLY one I have?

Poodle..........

HOW "BOUT "DEM CANES!?!

Roadtrip? ...I've never been to the desert before.
Is there really anything west of Tejas?

North of Baxter, south of everyone else.

oldLenny
12-08-2002, 07:18 PM
Dalelama:, forget the word "desert", it is still green and an eyeful of splendor...Highly recommend it! I was blown away, nothing like "my visions" of it. Georgeous, nothing that is unsightly, and a trip back to the "Ry Cooder" days and "twang" of Texas, only it is prettier.... Don't second guess this place!!!

You WON'T be disappointed!!! :D

Barry Phillips
12-11-2002, 12:07 AM
I do not know why Donzi killed the Minx, since it was such a beautiful boat and slotted nicely between between the Classic 18 and 22. Although I never understood why most of them shipped with 260/Alpha power. The Minx was a nice seaworthy 20 footer with higher hull sids han the Classics. I know of a 20ft Chris Craft which looks very similar to the Minx but deeper yet. Maybe they needed the the production capacity for the mass market stuff they were coming out with at the end of the 80s, maybe its time to bring great designs like the Minx back. It's happening in the automotive industry again and again. The T Bird , the new Z car, Mini Cooper, and the VW Bug to name only a few. Heck Ford is even showing a prototype of a new GT40. Thier are plenty of look alike boats around, maybe old is new again.

SO-SLO

SO-SLO

RH
12-11-2002, 12:38 PM
I think that the Minx was a great looking boat as well. I personally like the higher freeboard that they possess. Did the Minx relace the Hornet? I have often wondered why the Hornet was discontinued as well. Maybe it was too close to the 22 and the Minx. As for you Poodle, you will probably miss the influx of Iowa Hawkeye fans coming in for the Orange Bowl. They are talking like 40,000 plus fans from Iowa coming down. It will be a nice homecoming for Brad Banks and a good number of Florida players that play for us. I was hoping to be one of them, but our new office building is due to open the first week of January and I think my wife would divorce me if I ended up indulging myself in the bowl lifestyle. Looks like an Orange Bowl party at my house instead. GO Hawks!
RH

Barry Phillips
12-11-2002, 04:52 PM
Rodger, I still think you F22 and the Minx have a really similar deck design with thr rased aftt section, and I still think a 20 footer is a nice bridge between the 18 and the 22.

SO-SLO

Rodger
12-11-2002, 06:21 PM
Barry,
I totally agree. At the time I almost bought the Minx I was also looking at the F22 that I currently have. The Minx was new and the F22 was 9 years old. The F22 was less expensive, of course, but I really liked the Minx. The F22 having the TRS drive, decided for me because I wanted to build a powerfull engine and at the time the TRS was the only drive available that could handle lots of power. Without the raised engine compartment, my engine would not fit.