PDA

View Full Version : First take on 23 Mirage +

txtaz
08-16-2005, 11:05 PM
Well the anti-biotics and pain killers have worked and today was the first day I felt "normal" so what do we do....GO BOATING.

We headed out to the lake and tried out the new 23 Mirage Plus for the first time. 18c, 350 Mag.

So here's what I thought:
Hole shot and acceleration was greatly improved over the 25. Top end was less than I expected, I gained maybe 2 MPH and 200 RPM. Granted the water was smooth, I mean were talking 1 - 2 " chop so the hull did not air out. It handled exactly like the 25 except quicker and faster. I like it when it hits the trim point when the boat tweeks to the right a little. One of the cool things about this prop is you can trim under acceleration throw a rooster tail and still have good bite (no blowout). Another neat thing is it holds while accelerating in hard turns and you can keep the RPM's up.
I have a feeling this prop will be labbed and cupped to a 22 pitch which should be perfect, but I want to do more testing with it in different water.
Taz

txtaz
08-17-2005, 07:47 AM
Any one else running this prop? What is your take on performance?
Thanks,
Wes

Sam
08-17-2005, 08:04 AM
This prop never worked for me, it made my boat act like it was on crack :bonk: . Anyway a 2 mph gain is pretty darn good if you ask me. I understand your quest to squeez everything you can out of your set up but when you figure the cost of the prop vs. the gain it was money well spent. Good luck and keep us posted, by the way what were your numbers.

Sam

txtaz
08-17-2005, 08:40 AM
Hi Sam,
I did 68mph at 4800 RPM's which is up from the 25 (66 at 4600) in similar water. In 1' chop the 25 did 69 at 4750 so I'm hoping the 23 will hit 70/71 at 5000. All my tests are done with full tank and two people to be consistent. Once I get my fuel gauge "more" accurate I will do testing with a quarter tank. Right now when my gauge bounces off full, I'm almost out of gas.
Wes

gold-n-rod
08-17-2005, 08:50 AM
Right now when my gauge bounces off full, I'm almost out of gas.
Wes

Mine does that too, grrrr. What's up with that?? :smash:

Any fixes?

txtaz
08-17-2005, 09:02 AM
Randy,
I am planning on adding an electronic level sender to my tank. I had a link but cannot find it at the moment. You might look at this for some info http://www.livorsi.com/tools.htm
Wes

txtaz
08-17-2005, 09:19 AM
Tanks to my bud GCarter.....
HEY DUDE...How about some prices before my drugs wear off and I get really cranky.

gold-n-rod
08-17-2005, 09:29 AM
Tank shape.... think tank shape..... :boggled:

So, the drop of the float isn't linear due to the fact that the tank tapers toward the bottom?

Izzat what you are saying?

:wavey:

gcarter
08-17-2005, 10:32 AM
My new RDS tank is this tank plus 3/4" deep. The sender supplied w/ the tank is much more linear than normal. It will register three gallons. When it is 1/2 full (as apposed to 1/2 empty!!!), it has 15 gallons in it.
So it can be done.

txtaz
08-17-2005, 10:34 AM
So, the drop of the float isn't linear due to the fact that the tank tapers toward the bottom?

Izzat what you are saying?

:wavey:
Yes that's what he is saying, BUT my opinion is anything more linear HAS got to be better than what I have now. So what, the gauge is a little high when the tank gets low. It's better than a go no go gauge. Full not full.
Wes

gold-n-rod
08-17-2005, 11:12 AM
Yes that's what he is saying, BUT my opinion is anything more linear HAS got to be better than what I have now. So what, the gauge is a little high when the tank gets low. It's better than a go no go gauge. Full not full.
Wes

Agreed. Keep us posted as to your discoveries.

Sam
08-17-2005, 12:55 PM
Wes, those are some decent numbers very similar to Randy Oak's numbers. Keep us up to date as you get more seat time. I'm itching to get back out myself this weekend. I just had my hydromotive 23 OT re-pitched.
The interesting thing here is that the prop was made and sold as a 23" but just prior to having it re-pitched they scaned it in an effort to create a base line. Well it turns out that my 23" was actualy 23.7" hmmmmmm ? So at the end of the day they ended beating it into a true 25". I know that there plus minus tolarences with props but I was a bit taken back when I got this report. I always thought that Hydromotive had better standards. When I asked Julie at "Throttle Up" about it she said that she wasn't suprised.

Good Luck
Sam