PDA

View Full Version : High 5 props

MOP
08-16-2005, 12:27 AM
Was trying to scrounge props wanting to try a Q4 and some other 3 bladders on mine, my dealer buddy said I should try a High 5, I laughed he said don't sell them short. He says they are smooth with very good handling, I said dragging 5 blades has to hurt top end performance. He grabbed one off the shelf to show me the small blade area which he says is close to that of a 4 blade, after a little more discussion about seeing them or similar on race boats I left shaking my head still bent on a Q4 or good 3 blade. ? Should I try one of those 5 bladders, is it worth the time to screw it on?

Phil

thriller
08-16-2005, 01:13 AM
Heck Phil.......What do you got to loose?

I see more and more of these 5 bladers on everything from Alphas, Bravos and especially on the weed eaters:rlol:

Mike

Lenny
08-16-2005, 02:52 AM
Phil, I had a High Five on a Chapparell. It was disturbingly flighty with heavy trim (up) and a sea. Much like turning an 18 footer into a windsurfer. :eek:

But that boat had 21 degrees of deadrise.

Who knows ? It also saw 55 GPS with a 4.3 VORTEC (225HP) V-6 :confused:

seascarab
08-16-2005, 03:27 AM
Hi. I tried a High 5 on my classic 18 with a 350 Magnum. Very good holeshot, the boat jumped out of the water, but terrible top end in comparison to the Mirage (mid 50s vs. over 60 MPH). And it airated in higher trim positions.

MOP
08-16-2005, 08:30 AM
Hi and thanks guys for the input, the 23 cleaver makes good speed at all ranges but is erratic and makes the boat twitchy. I think from what I have read and heard the Q4 is a good choice, would like to try a Q4 in a 22 pitch. I like everyone else want the best speed, hole shot and handling etc all from one prop. I know that can't happen, I will be happy with good cruise and handling need to try a couple of different ones.

Phil

roadtrip se
08-16-2005, 11:26 AM
at cumberland. Cripe, he must have had 25 props there
and he tried every one.

Don't rememeber him being all that particularily thrilled with it.

I have tried the Hydro p5 on mine a couple of times and really liked it.
Made my boat run like a slot car, but I didn't like it enough to spend
the money for a new one. It did shave a few off the top, but the mid-range was awesome.

Both are worth a try and see.

Craig
08-18-2005, 12:03 PM
I talked to a guy sbout 2 weeks ago while "gassing up" at an auto gas station (i.e. not on the water) who had a High 5 prop. I've rarely seen them around this area. He was sort of bragging about it.

Then I walked inside to get some grub and I heard the attendant say "That guy just took off without paying for $100.00 worth of gas!"

They said they didn't really see him, so I told the girl, "This will sound goofy" but there was a possibly distinguishing mark about that guy's boat (aside from the brand and color) -- it has a 5 bladed propeller, which is pretty unusual. At first they just looked at me kind of funny, but I think I convinced them that it might be a way to identify him if he comes back at a later date.

They said they would be on the lookout for a guy (boat) with a 5 blade prop.

So if you are running a 5 blade and you go to Raystown Lake (Pennsylvania) don't gas up at the station across from "Performance Marine." You might get busted!

Unless, of course by extreme coincidence, you're the guy. In that case stop in and pay the girl!

JPR
08-18-2005, 01:25 PM
I have a high 5 on an 18' Hourston Glasscraft (locally built boat with very deep v) running a 200 merc outboard and the prop made a big difference (improvement) to the boats handling withought any loss at the top end. I find you can turn sharply with it trimmed out with much less cavitation. Generally very happy with th the prop, seems to improve bow lift substantially.