PDA

View Full Version : Disc Brakes on new trailer

gcarter
08-15-2005, 03:55 PM
Went to the Glen this morning and on the way back, while turning a corner (not sharp) the starboard disk brake locked up (Kodiak disk brakes on Torsion axles). Came to a stop on the side of the road and stuck a pin the master cylinder operating mechanism and everything was OK. Later, much closer to home, they seemed to be dragging for about 1/4 mile and then they loosened up. Now I'm not going to look at them till tomorrow after I get it back into the warehouse. But I'm looking for some guidance. This is all pretty new to me.

gcarter
08-15-2005, 07:31 PM
Well, I just got back from taking the boat back home. After I backed itinto the warehouse, I slid the floor jack under the axle and raised it. I spun the wheel and heard a terrible grinding noise. Upon further inspection, I noticed the entire caliper was loose and was riding on the rotor. Both bolts had backed out. I'll inspect it more closely tomorrow, but it looks like I only have to re-secure the two bolts (with some thread locker, of course).
I guess I should be happy about this. :D

:wavey:

gcarter
08-20-2005, 07:22 PM
after I got the wheel off. The caliper actually came off in my hand.
Apparently what happened was the caliper mounting bracket casting cracked and eventually broke in two.
There was a good size gouge ground into the caliper, both pads destroyed, and the hose connection fitting ground in two.
I took the pile of parts to the trailer dealer who called the manufacturer and explained what happened.
The good news is they are sending me a whole new caliper assembly this next week. :biggrin.:

:wavey:

MOP
08-21-2005, 09:15 AM
George I have seen that before, not sure if the cause of yours is the same. But on that one the caliper was not moving on the bolts they had rusted in the bores. To make up for pad wear the caliper must move a little on the bolts to align its self to the disc, damn now me the salt rat will have to tear mine apart to make sure the bolts are lightly greased.

Phil