PDA

View Full Version : I say po-tay-toe and you say po-taah-toe

gold-n-rod
08-15-2005, 01:11 PM
I was chilling at the Torch Lake sandbar yesterday and a couple came up to chat. Here's our conversation. (actual pronunciations in italics)

She: We came over to have a look at your Dons-eye. They sure are nice boats.
Me: Thank you, Don-zee makes some beautiful boats.
She: Yep, as soon as you pulled in, I told my husband, "That's a Dons-eye."
Me: That boat next to me is also a Don-zee. And there's another Don-zee about 100 yards over there.
She: I sure love those Dons-eyes.

Now, let's say I was looking at a Maserati that I liked (maybe for the first time) and I said to the owner, that sure is a nice Monzarati. If he said, "Yes, a Maserati is a fine automobile, I would immediately call it by its correct name, wouldn't you?

I am relying upon my Dons-eye brethern here. My wife is of no help. She'd call me a snob. :biggrin: Sheesh.

I'll bet Porsche owners have the same problem....... or it it Porsch-uhh?

turbo2256
08-15-2005, 01:39 PM
Naw its all those poor cops that have there cars stolen because thieves think there 911's

Morgan's Cloud
08-15-2005, 02:15 PM
So ...

You have lots of Jamaicans around where you live too ?
(or more accurately wannabe Jamaicans :cistineb: )

S

Formula Jr
08-16-2005, 07:01 PM
Having traveled the US extensively, you can pretty much tell where anyone is from just by their word selection and accent.

Bag or Sack.
Bottle shop, Liquore Store, Package Store.
Stream, Creek or Crick
Spigot or Faucet.
Toilet, Commode, or Head.
aBoot, or about.
Whister sauce, or Whorchester sauce.
Creeb, or Crab.
Flap jacks, or pancakes
Kessip, or Catchup
Ka-wah-fee, Kaffee, or coffee.
Oh-re-als, or Or-rials
Boat'more, Balt'ti'more
Orlins, Nor-lins, New Orlands, New OrlEEns
Lapster pound. Loppstore pound.
Feeesh, fish.
Gazzzz, or gas.

But no one speaks funnier than north western Floridians. They win hands down, strangest regional dialect in all the lower 48. I can't even listen to one for more than five minutes with out laughing.

gcarter
08-16-2005, 07:19 PM
But no one speaks funnier than north western Floridians. They win hands down, strangest regional dialect in all the lower 48. I can't even listen to one for more than five minutes with out laughing.
Fox News Channel recently did a segment on the speech of rural Virginians, you literally had to have a dictionary!!
That would be closely followed by East Texas.

Formula Jr
08-16-2005, 08:20 PM
Northeast: "Nice dazzi" No N at all.

North Midwest: "Nice Danzzi" With a bit of a quack

South: "Nay-ice Doennnnnzi" Spread over five seconds.

Texas: "a might perrdy Dune-zi" fast and halting.

Northwest Florida: "lock-dem-donzEye-ba'oohts." Spoken like one long word.

onesubdrvr
08-16-2005, 09:32 PM
Northeast: "Nice dazzi" No N at all.

North Midwest: "Nice Danzzi" With a bit of a quack

South: "Nay-ice Doennnnnzi" Spread over five seconds.

Texas: "a might perrdy Dune-zi" fast and halting.

Northwest Florida: "lock-dem-donzEye-ba'oohts." Spoken like one long word.

:rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol:

Oh my god is that funny!!!!
Wayne

Formula Jr
08-16-2005, 09:48 PM
one of the funniest moments of my life was listening to a friend trying to sing "Lets call the whole thing off;" the Conning, Jr tune we all know about.

Here's the lyrics:

"You say either and I say either
You say neither I say neither
Either either, neither neither
Let’s call the whole thing off

You say potato I say patattah
You say tomato I say creole tomatah

Oh, if we call the whole thing off
Then we must part and
Oh, if we ever part
That would break my heart

I say ursta you say oyster
I’m not gonna stop eatin urstas
Just cause you say oysters,

I say pajamas you say pajamas
Sugar, what’s the problem?
For we know we need each other so
We’d better call the calling off off

Oh let’s call it off, oh let’s call it off
Oh let’s call it off, baby let’s call it off

Sugar why don’t we call it off,
I’m talking baby why call it off
Let’s call the whole thing off."

We had gone to a kariokie bar. And a friend picked this song out. The promptor didn't seem to have the phonetic spellings and she said she was not familiar with the song, she proceeded to sing it with out the two pronunciations.

It was the funniest thing on earth. About half way through, at the Ursta/Oyster part she stopped and said, "This is the weirdest song I hever seen. This doesn't make any sense."

People were just screaming with laughter.

But that was all part of her show, and she had the audience shout out the other prounciations on the second run. It was great...

Later I saw an old comedy routine on TV that did the same thing. And thats probably where she got it from.

Patti
08-16-2005, 10:16 PM
Too funny! lol

Jamie makes fun of my Brooklyn accent and insists he doesn't have one.......

Yeah........OK! :tongue:

Gotta love that midwestern accent! lol

goatee
08-16-2005, 10:36 PM
we dont! it's just everyone else in the world! :biggrin:

Patti
08-16-2005, 11:08 PM
Goat! you shush! lol

I don't have an accent..in NYC it's considered a "dialect" so :tongue:

And btw..you MI people DO have an accent..hell we all do!

Oh and btw..it's SODA! lol

:biggrin:

Richard McCoy
08-16-2005, 11:33 PM
New Orleans ,East Bank, West bank ,Up town ,down town, Mid city,Lake view, 9th ward and lots of others have their own slang and we have no problem knowing what they are talking about. Sidewalk= banket ,Hose= Hose pipe, Shopping = Making groceries ,Median=Neutral ground,Porch=Gallery.Get the idea. So what is the problem with Don-eye she didn't say nice Sea Breeze.

Formula Jr
08-17-2005, 12:13 AM
Ah, soda, thats a good one.

Pop
soft drink
cola......

Rootsy
08-17-2005, 06:42 AM
you drink pop you bake with soda...

and so what if we stress our A's too much... least you can understand us... well unless you are somewhere across the bridge then all bets are off...

JR

Richard McCoy
08-17-2005, 09:13 AM
On the west bank?

mattyboy
08-17-2005, 10:35 AM
Yo Uze Guys All Tawk Funny, And If U Come Near My Dirty Dree Foota Donnzzee, I'll Break Yofriggin Head Baddabing Wida Pipe, And We Drink Coke,pop Is Dat Friggin Old Timer Who LIVS Down Da Block,
Fuugedatboutit, Well Now That I Dink Aboutit Patti Sounds Aweright :)

Patti
08-18-2005, 08:11 PM
Yo Uze Guys All Tawk Funny, And If U Come Near My Dirty Dree Foota Donnzzee, I'll Break Yofriggin Head Baddabing Wida Pipe, And We Drink Coke,pop Is Dat Friggin Old Timer Who LIVS Down Da Block,
Fuugedatboutit, Well Now That I Dink Aboutit Patti Sounds Aweright :)

Matty :rlol:

Now you are sounding like most of my relatives and friends..not that that is a bad thing! :biggrin:

Wanna play some stoop ball? or maybe go under the Johnny Pump? :jestera:

mattyboy
08-18-2005, 10:04 PM
Patti

we just had a parent kid day in town and we tried to teach our hayseed kids the games we palyed has a kid in the city

skully
stoop ball
box ball
ace king queen
johnny on the pony
stick ball I actually found spaldeens
ringalivio
salooogie
I think I had more fun then the kids
sorta reminded me of the "twilght zone" episode in the senior home when they play kick the can
you'll have to teach Jamie some of those games

offshoregasm
08-19-2005, 06:27 AM
worst thing is when you have a friend who lives in Ohio (yes we speak normal here) :D who talks perfectly normal (no accents, souther drawls, ect...) and he still says DONS-EYE even after several people have told him "hey moron, its DONZEE". :banghead:

gcarter
08-19-2005, 06:55 AM
worst thing is when you have a friend who lives in Ohio (yes we speak normal here) :D who talks perfectly normal (no accents, souther drawls, ect...) and he still says DONS-EYE even after several people have told him "hey moron, its DONZEE". :banghead:
So does he also say "Ferrar-EYE", Maseratt-EYE", "Lamborghin-EYE", and "Ducatt-EYE" ????? :rolleyes: :yes: :shocking:

roadtrip se
08-19-2005, 08:15 AM
during 26ZX days a few years back. Stopped at a great waterfront place for lunch. Tight dockside parking and the guy parked in front of Bryan barely looked tied off. Sure enough, we are eating lunch and someone says, " Hey that boat is getting ready to float into your Donzeye!" We knew exactly what he met. Every since then, I use both Dozzee and Donzeye.

You think if they ever strarting building these things in Japan that they would call them Donzeyes in the local dialect?

Patti
08-19-2005, 08:54 AM
Patti

we just had a parent kid day in town and we tried to teach our hayseed kids the games we palyed has a kid in the city

skully
stoop ball
box ball
ace king queen
johnny on the pony
stick ball I actually found spaldeens
ringalivio
salooogie
I think I had more fun then the kids
sorta reminded me of the "twilght zone" episode in the senior home when they play kick the can
you'll have to teach Jamie some of those games

Ah, Skully!

I LOVED that game..I remember begging my mom to buy me one of those big boxes of Crayola..I'd get home and proceed to melt them all to put in my bottle caps :rlol: ..I think my mom wanted to kill me..we would spend hours laying on the ground playing..good times! :yes:

Ringolivio was fun too..we always found ways to amuse ourselves..my son says he's bored now..and he has all kinds of stuff to keep him busy but it isn't good enough..Jamie has found LOTS for him to do though ..painting barns, mowing, stacking wood..I dont think that is his definition of fun though! :D

There used to be a site ..I think it was strretgames.com and they had all kinds of information on these kinds of games and even how to make a skully court..I've forgotten how to do it..I dont think Jamie would wanna play though :D

To be young again........:D

ChromeGorilla
08-19-2005, 09:06 AM
So does he also say "Ferrar-EYE", Maseratt-EYE", "Lamborghin-EYE", and "Ducatt-EYE" ????? :rolleyes: :yes: :shocking:

George of couse he does because those are all made by EYE-talians..... :yes: