PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of five awesome Skaters!

tamburello
08-15-2005, 12:32 PM
Talk about bringing a knife to a gunfight!

Saturday morning, I cruised up the West coast of Michigan from Holland to Grand Haven to watch the Skater boys take off on their run to Boyne City. Boyne City is a little farther than I'd want to run in one day in my 18 Classic but it was a great day for running both the Skaters and my little Donzi. There were leftover 2' swells from the previous days winds, overcast skies, no wind, and a threat of rain in the forecast to keep almost every other boater, except for the fishermen, tied to the docks talking about gas prices. It had to look funny with my little 18 leading these five wild offshore rigs out the channel in Grand Haven.

Those cats idle fast with their tall props and trying to keep the blower motors from loading up. I had to kick it down to 1,200-1,300 rpm to keep pace.

There were 5 Skaters making the run: one 36 (Pammy), two 368's (Kroozin' and Facelift), one 40 (Blow Out), and the infamous "Cat Can Do" 40 raceboat. Five prime examples of awesome monster blower motors, sweet paint jobs, and all-around kick azz rigs.

I knew that I had brought a knife to a gun fight, so I didn't attempt to run with 'em. Before they took off I ran up the coast a bit to get a good vantage point.

Thanks to my dad (Dale) for bringing his Nikon D70 and taking some nice pics. Sorry, the running pics didn't turn out.

We had a great run back to Holland with some nice air time. :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

- Jeff

tamburello
08-15-2005, 12:33 PM
:shades: :shades:

tamburello
08-15-2005, 12:42 PM
:eek!: :eek!:

tamburello
08-15-2005, 12:43 PM
last two :biggrin: :biggrin:

gold-n-rod
08-15-2005, 12:55 PM
Wow, that sight brings goosebumps!

Two weeks ago on a Friday nite, my wife and I were out on Crystal and ran across a neat little Skater 18 tunnel hull with a Mercury Racing 2?? outboard hanging off the back. We ran around the lake together. It was cool to hear that distinctive tunnel hull sound (thwack, thwack, thwack) and watch him air it out with just a skitch of hull and just the prop in the water. He said 100 mph, but he didn't show me, we just ran side by side at 60.

Great fun!

tamburello
08-15-2005, 04:44 PM
Pete has come a long way since he started with those 18s. They can move though! :outtahere
- Jeff

Brad Lyon
08-15-2005, 06:38 PM
Jeff,

Your dad got some great shots but it looks like he had the white balance on the wrong setting. If he shot them in .NEF format he can simply change them in Capture and re-process. If he always shoots in .JPG I suggest he set the white balance to auto.

The setting Cloudy -2 seems to work best outside but you have to make sure you check what setting you are on whenever you change lighting conditions.

Brad

tamburello
08-15-2005, 07:24 PM
Brad -

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll pass them on to my dad. He's still getting the hang of his new camera and I'm sure he'll apreciate your advice on how to make his photos turn out better.

- Jeff