PDA

View Full Version : Magnum 27 Sport

myfinancialadviser
08-15-2005, 11:06 AM
Im looking for an original blue (tinted) windscreen for the magnum sport 27. Any info. / leads apperciated.

Forrest
08-15-2005, 11:59 AM
I had to build an OEM type windshield for my Magnum 27 Sport since I could not find anyone who had the original tooling. American Marine Products in Ft. Lauderdale built the 27 Sport windshields for Magnum Marine way back then, but they no longer have the tooling. FWIW, their number is 954-782-1400. The contact there is Jerry Avery or Bob Sullivan, but I'm sure that they will tell you the same thing that they told me.

I built windshield in five pieces (rather than three like the original) out of smoke color 1/4" Lexan. To make the bends, I slowly heated the pieces in an oven to no more than 140-degrees F, formed it around a two-inch pipe, and then carefully trimed it to fit. Plan on screwing up a few pieces before you get a good pair of bends that you can use.

The light blue acrylic or Lexan may be impossible to find these days, but who knows until you look for it.

Sam
08-15-2005, 12:18 PM
Forrest, do you have any more pics of your Magnum that you could post or send.

THX
Sam

myfinancialadviser
08-15-2005, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the info. I may have to look into that. I've got a medium size crack in the prot side area not on the front, but the glass on the side where it only stands 3-4 inches high or so, its the original windshield so I would really like to hang on to it. Wonder if I can "mend" it some way, any ideas?

I had to build an OEM type windshield for my Magnum 27 Sport since I could not find anyone who had the original tooling. American Marine Products in Ft. Lauderdale built the 27 Sport windshields for Magnum Marine way back then, but they no longer have the tooling. FWIW, their number is 954-782-1400. The contact there is Jerry Avery or Bob Sullivan, but I'm sure that they will tell you the same thing that they told me.

I built windshield in five pieces (rather than three like the original) out of smoke color 1/4" Lexan. To make the bends, I slowly heated the pieces in an oven to no more than 140-degrees F, formed it around a two-inch pipe, and then carefully trimed it to fit. Plan on screwing up a few pieces before you get a good pair of bends that you can use.

The light blue acrylic or Lexan may be impossible to find these days, but who knows until you look for it.

Forrest
08-16-2005, 10:34 AM
I don't know about mending it, but if you still have the original, you are way ahead of the game. One thing that the folks at American Marine Products did tell me is that they could easily build a new windshield if the old windshield was available to be used as a template. I didn't havethe old windshield. You may want to give them a call. Building the windshiled had to be the single most difficult DYI item on my Magnum restoration. If I could have, I would have much rather subed it out to someone who knows what they are doing than doing it myself.

myfinancialadviser
08-16-2005, 02:21 PM
Forrest did you put an anchor locker on your bow?
Also what kind of speed are you getting top end w/ the 383's?
ive got same cubic, with about 400 hp per side, just curious

gcarter
08-16-2005, 02:48 PM
Forrest, what a pretty boat you have!!! :wavey:

I'm impressed!

Cuda
08-16-2005, 03:08 PM
I think those DPX's look killer on there.

We are going to the panhandle this weekend to Panama City to watch the boat races.

Forrest
08-17-2005, 10:43 AM
Forrest did you put an anchor locker on your bow?
Also what kind of speed are you getting top end w/ the 383's?
ive got same cubic, with about 400 hp per side, just curious

That little stainless-steel anchor line hatch was there when I bought the boat; however, I think the it was original since I seen it on a couple of other Magnum. For the most part, it fairly useless. Also, before I bought the boat, mine used to have the original plexi-glass "bubble turret" vent/hatch ( as seen in the Magnum 27 Sport literature (http://www.magnummarine.com/history/classics/27/27sport.jpg)) where the square hatch is now. I looked high and low for a replacement turret but with no luck, so I ended up putting in a standard generic hatch.

The 383s for my Magnum that I built, dyno on the PC (Performance Trends Engine Analyzer v3.2 (http://www.performancetrends.com/EA30.htm )) at 365 HP @ 5500 RPM and and right at 400ft/lb torque @ 4000RPM. I'm running "E2" props on the DPX drives with 1.59:1 a gear ratio and only turning 4700 RPM at just over 70 MPH. E2 is the lowest pitch prop available for the DPX drive, so the next step is to send them off to good prop shop for some tweaking in order get me in over 5000 RPM. Otherwise I'll need to change the gear ratio, but that is unbelievably expensive on the DPX drives and for that reason, I don't see that happening. All and all, the DPX drives have transformed this Magnum 27 into an entirely new boat. This Magnum has seen drastic improvements in performance and handling, from the DPX drives over the original Volvo 280T drives, from idle to top-end with improved fuel economy.

magnum27
08-17-2005, 10:52 AM
I think those DPX's look killer on there.

We are going to the panhandle this weekend to Panama City to watch the boat races.

If I can get the hydraulic steering bled out and it runs ok, look for the black Magnum in Panama City on the race coarse. Hopefully this will be it's debue
Travis
Pirate Racing team
P5-21

Forrest
08-17-2005, 10:57 AM
If I can get the hydraulic steering bled out and it runs ok, look for the black Magnum in Panama City on the race coarse. Hopefully this will be it's debue
Travis
Pirate Racing team
P5-21

Congrats Travis! We'll be pullin' for you.

Now get that steering bled!!!

myfinancialadviser
08-17-2005, 07:53 PM
Forrest,
Believe it or not a friend of the family has an original mold for the windscreen, has had it for like 30 years, dont know how or any details yet, going to see him later in the week.
and yes, orange and white is mine. "old school" was just vinyl, no longer on there, having whole boat wheeled out.

Forrest
08-18-2005, 09:11 AM
. . . an original mold for the windscreen, has had it for like 30 years . . .

Unbelievable! Fantasitc! Priceless!

Please keep us Magnum folks up on this.

I still can't get over it . . . the original windscreen mold . . .

Craig S
08-18-2005, 12:00 PM
That little stainless-steel anchor line hatch was there when I bought the boat; however, I think the it was original since I seen it on a couple of other Magnum. For the most part, it fairly useless. .

That looks like the same thing that Brownie put on the Novas. I had not seen them on anything else. Didn't know that they might have been "off the rack".

Beautiful Magnum.

Sweet Cheekz
03-03-2010, 03:02 PM
MFA Forrest
Anything ever come of this windscreen mold?
Parnell

Forrest
03-03-2010, 03:34 PM
No, but maybe since this thread was started four and a half years ago, maybe someone else here may have built or had someone build them a good replica of the original.

Sweet Cheekz
03-03-2010, 03:58 PM
Rereading this I cant figure out if he meant a mold for a fairing or a windscreen? Have you ever seen a fairing that was in place of the windscreen with the same dimensions?
Parnell

smidgen too
03-04-2010, 12:15 AM
Rereading this I cant figure out if he meant a mold for a fairing or a windscreen? Have you ever seen a fairing that was in place of the windscreen with the same dimensions?
Parnell
Stellar plastics [ http://www.stellarplastics.com/boating.htm ] in Detroit has the mold for them, [Magnum Sport] tell them you want it for a Aero powerboat.

Sweet Cheekz
03-04-2010, 08:38 AM
Thanks

smidgen too
03-04-2010, 09:22 AM
Thanks
Funny, this wind shield subject just came up yesterday at Tyler Crocketts. This is where Clem had them made for his Magnum copys. :yes: Mark [h2o]

Jeppe
03-04-2010, 01:44 PM
I believe my windscreen came from that mold. I'm now the proud owner of the orange and white magnum that used to belong to myfinancialadviser. I heard the color should be something called "30 30 green".

If you have one made please post pics of the corners of the windscreen, mine look a bit weird. I'll post some pics next time I'm at the boat.

/Jeppe

Jeppe
03-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Mark, is it correct that Tyler Crockett and Ray Genick used to race together? I believe it was you who mentioned that it was Ray who built the engines in my Magnum?

/Jeppe

Sweet Cheekz
03-04-2010, 07:46 PM
I guess I'm a little slow because I'm not sure if you are telling me these guys have a mold for a fiberglass windscreen or a template of some kind for a clear plexi windscreen? sorry to be so slow. If it is a mold for a fiberglass fairing will they make one or sell the mold to me? Any ideas?
Thanks
Parnell

HallJ
03-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Stellar Plastics has the windshield. You have to tell him it's for an Aero(Magnum knock off) If you tell them it's for a Magnum they will have no idea what you are talking about. I'm not sure if it is the correct color.

The boat clinic in Jacksonville Florida made mine from my original in 30/30 Green. I had to supply him with the material as it is hard to find.

Jeff

smidgen too
03-04-2010, 09:54 PM
Mark, is it correct that Tyler Crockett and Ray Genick used to race together? I believe it was you who mentioned that it was Ray who built the engines in my Magnum?

/Jeppe
Tyler has raced with many so it could be true, but I can't say for sure. Ray did build your engines, I did talk to him about them last summer. :yes: It was all good...:wrench::shades:

Sweet Cheekz
03-05-2010, 02:45 PM
Thanks Guys
I am going to build a faring out of fiberglass anyways
Parnell

OFFSHORE GINGER
03-06-2010, 03:31 PM
Thanks Guys
I am going to build a faring out of fiberglass anyways
Parnell Parnell i built a fairing a few years back for an Areo , same boat as a Mag sport and the guy was tickled pink . I used foam core .

OFFSHORE GINGER
03-06-2010, 03:42 PM
PARNNEL , things are starting to come back to life 2 deaths in the family and my father is almost on track ................. WOW !!!! If you know what i mean ............................... Life goes on..............Hey !! :fam::band::thewave: YES !

OFFSHORE GINGER
03-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Im looking for an original blue (tinted) windscreen for the magnum sport 27. Any info. / leads apperciated. Not to be rude but those orig tinted windscreen's are so butt ugly even with an all white boat .

Sweet Cheekz
03-07-2010, 03:17 PM
Artie
When I get around to that project I'll have you do it Its a little over my skill level. Sorry to hear about the deaths but glad to hear its getting back to normal. Any more thoughts on CJ's boat?
Parnell

OFFSHORE GINGER
03-09-2010, 05:32 PM
I guess I'm a little slow because I'm not sure if you are telling me these guys have a mold for a fiberglass windscreen or a template of some kind for a clear plexi windscreen? sorry to be so slow. If it is a mold for a fiberglass fairing will they make one or sell the mold to me? Any ideas?
Thanks
Parnell P..... if they have a mold to make a windscreen out out of fiber glass not( Plexi ) i also would be interested in something like that for the pure fact that i could whip one off in a heartbeat and use my imagination doing so .

OFFSHORE GINGER
03-09-2010, 05:35 PM
Artie
When I get around to that project I'll have you do it Its a little over my skill level. Sorry to hear about the deaths but glad to hear its getting back to normal. Any more thoughts on CJ's boat?
Parnell Parnell , i have given this a lot of thought and was thinking about giving CJ a call .