PDA

View Full Version : Electrical gremlin

Cuda
08-15-2005, 06:43 AM
I had the battery out of the boat, when I put it back in, it was arcing when I tried to connect the postive terminal (neg was connected). It's something that's pulling a pretty good current. I've checked and double checked that nothing is on. I've searched for a bare wire short. The only thing I can thing of, is that it's the automatic bilge pump, but then I should be able to hear the pump running. Electrical is not my long suit. :(

joel3078
08-15-2005, 09:21 AM
May not be a big deal. My boat, motorcycle, and truck all create a spark when I hook the battery terminals back up. Newer stuff draws electrical current even when everything is in the off position. Items on the boat could be stereo, clock, computers/chips for ignition, fuel injection, pumps, sensors, corsa quite exhaust solenoids, etc.

What you need to do is get a D.C. amp meter good for 10 amps or so. (typically found on digital volt/ohm/amp meter - 40 or so bucks at radio shack) Set the meter to read d.c. amps. Put the meter on the highest amp setting it has. Hook meter in series (not parrallel) with the positive cable on battery. Meaning keep negative on battery hooked up. Hook one end of meter to battery and the other end of meter to the positive cable that would normally go to battery. This is a series connection by the way.

What you are looking for is to find out how many amps of current is being drawn when everything is in the off position. The amount of amps will give you a clue on what is sucking up the battery juice. Small items such as computers, stereo, clock, etc. will be less than an amp - could even be milliamps. Bigger items will pull more than an amp. After you get your amp reading, use this info to troubleshoot what may be on.

After you are all done with this fun, install a 1/2/both/off battery switch. This switch will disconnect batteries from everything. However, the bilge pump can still spew out water even when the battery switch is in the off position. I'm sure there are a bunch of posts in the archive regarding battery switches.

Tidbart
08-15-2005, 11:56 AM
Cuda,
I have an spare ammeter you can use. Let me know when you are around Orlando.

Bob

MOP
08-15-2005, 12:23 PM
Joe is it a snap or a light spark? Do you have a stereo, most have a memory circuit that will give a little spark. Like mentioned above an amp meter is the only true way to see what the draw is, a simple check some of us old timers do is to take a trouble light the one with the ice pick probe hook to the wire then touch the battery post the brighter it lights the bigger the draw & possible problem. You should remove all fuses and see if it goes away, if it does put them back in one at a time checking each time to find the culprit. You can disconnect the main engine harness plug to see if it is an on engine thing, some alternators can screw up and draw current when the engine is not running. These things are real hunt & peck thing, good luck with it and I hope it is minor.

Phil

onesubdrvr
08-15-2005, 01:45 PM
Joe,

Something else to check (if you have it) is electric choke on the Carb, alot of times they get wired to the most convienient place, not necessarily controled by the key, I know this to be true :rolleyes: .

Wayne

Cuda
08-15-2005, 02:15 PM
I don't have an ammeter, but I can tell by the spark it's not a minor draw. It's not a dead short like the starter draws either. The electric choke isn't hooked up, but that was one of my first suspitions was the wire that is supposed to go to it. It's capped off fine. I'll do some more hunting. Bob, I was in Otown today, I have to go there tomorrow too.

Tidbart
08-15-2005, 07:48 PM
Cuda
You have a PM.

Bob :rlol:

onesubdrvr
08-15-2005, 07:56 PM
Joe,

You mentioned the bilge pump, but does it come on via the switch when you turn it on? A locked up DC motor will draw amperage, but not be shorted (ie pump may be frozen up).

Just a thought
Wayne

Cuda
08-15-2005, 07:59 PM
Joe,

You mentioned the bilge pump, but does it come on via the switch when you turn it on? A locked up DC motor will draw amperage, but not be shorted (ie pump may be frozen up).

Just a thought
Wayne

That's what I'm thinking. The auto bilge will come on, even with the battery off.

Cuda
08-18-2005, 09:51 PM
As I suspected, the bilge float was stuck in the up (on) position.

I had also noticed some water getting in the bilge last time out. I had my swabbie get in the boat at night, while I shined the flashlight from the outside to see if we could tell where the water was coming from. She found the water intake hose was loose, looks like they forgot to tighten it last time they put the engine in. I'm damn glad it didn't come completely loose! I have a feeling the bilge pump would have had a very hard time keeping up. :eek: :eek:

My swabbie in the bilge tightening the hose.