PDA

View Full Version : @#&@ Dirt-Dobbers...!!!!

DonziDave
08-14-2005, 08:16 PM
Anyone else have problems with these buggers building their mud huts on your boat? I have a full cover on my 18C and keep it lifted in my boathouse. These little creeps crawl under the cover and do their dirty work. When I took the cover off this weekend there were mud nests all over the boat - 2 on the deck, 1 on the face of the speedo, 1 on a scoop screen, and 2 on the rear deck...!!! AARRGG...!!! They usually build their nests on a vertical surface with the opening at the bottom so they can fly into it. I just don't know why they have such an attraction to fiberglass that they would crawl under a cover that is laying flat on the deck to build a nest. They have plenty of space in my boathouse to nest with the other dirt-dobbers. A real pain to clean them off...you knock them off and you end up with mud bits, half digested inscects, larva, etc. Then when you wash off the residue, you get wet mud all over the decks. Time to go to war..!! :kaioken:

Although this is a pain, it doesn't compare to the time I was out in the boat when a 4 foot snake came out from under the bow and onto my leg....I came close to jumping out at 40 mph. Scared the hell out of me. I guess he had crawled under the cover and up under the deck to take a snooze and didn't really want to go for a boat ride. :eek:

gcarter
08-14-2005, 08:27 PM
I'm glad I keep mine in a warehouse, but I even get a few in there, but usually not on the boat. :)

gold-n-rod
08-14-2005, 08:32 PM
You fellas have hit right on the reason why I will NEVER live in Florida. I'll take old man winter over snakes and creatures every time! Snakes :smash:

gcarter
08-14-2005, 08:38 PM
You fellas have hit right on the reason why I will NEVER live in Florida. I'll take old man winter over snakes and creatures every time! Snakes :smash:
That's all right Randy, we won't miss you :biggrin:
Particularly in the winter!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :yes:

ChromeGorilla
08-14-2005, 09:18 PM

Rest assured I will be quoting this post in Feb as I post pictures of our run to the keys.....right MP? :biggrin: :cool:

Jraysray
08-14-2005, 09:20 PM
There was a pic going around at work showing a snake that got in and was coiled up under this guy's desk. I checked under my desk every 10 minutes for 2 weeks after that.

Now I am going to add another 10 minutes for pre launch critter check. Thanks Dave!

Cuda
08-14-2005, 10:03 PM
I pulled the cover off my fishboat today, and found a couple in there.

Cuda
08-14-2005, 10:04 PM

Well then stay yo yankee azz on up there. :cistineb:

You don't have to worry about the snakes, the gators tend to keep them run off.

Cuda
08-14-2005, 10:06 PM
The more I think about this, the more it cracks me up! I can't see letting some little insect dictate where I would or would not live. :) :bonk:

harbormaster
08-15-2005, 12:33 AM
Put a baited wasp trap under your cover. The crawl in but cannot get out.

I used grape jelly for bait in mine.

gold-n-rod
08-15-2005, 09:25 AM
Aww, shucks, it's great to be loved.

I just knew y'all would love that one!!! :rlol:

Cuda
08-17-2005, 07:12 AM
Or this.