PDA

View Full Version : flooding out

joseph m. hahnl
08-14-2005, 07:41 PM
well last friday at the ramp i went to start Rooster tail . she started right up and i went to let her idle to get the fuel moving. it died out. and my ride to the ramp had already left. i thought that maybe i had over squirted it with the accelerator pump. i could tell she was flooded right away. i figured in the hour it would take my girl to relize something was wrong i could paddle to the camp ground we were staying at. what a drag paddling a 20' boat 1/2 mile but i did it. got there just in time to hear her say she was going back to see what happend to me.
the next day i bought new plugs the bosch platnuim twin electrode. thinking dry plugs would start her right up. no dice. took all the plugs out turned her over to blow out the excessive fuel .still no dice. at this point i took off the flame arrestor and there it was again fuel coming out of the trucks. i took the carb off took the top off and blew it out by mouth as this was a lake side repair.I put it all back together . turned the key and kaching she started right up and ran flawless all week. i suspect that there is a fine rust particle coming out of the gas tank passing thru the water fuel seperator.

at this point i think i should put in a in line glass gas filter. but i have had rust problems in my motorcycle. and the particles are so fine they can pass thru the filter.

what would any one suggest would be the best antidote?

joe

gcarter
08-14-2005, 08:16 PM
A new tank.....
If you want to see how, read:
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36703
It's a loot easier than you might think.

RedDog
08-14-2005, 09:28 PM
I think a glass filter is illegal in a boat. MP is right - get a Racor

MOP
08-15-2005, 09:44 AM
No Glass! Poodle is right on the Racor it will not let that stuff through, carry an extra cartridge. How old is your boat, does it have a steel tank? If so nurse for the season then do a George Carter job.
I have seen dark reddish looking stuff come out of aluminum tanks which appeared to be rust but was not, we never figured out what is was but it was not magnetic. Years back before all these nice filters showed up most everyone used Wilcox bronze strainers, when the tanks would start to go bad we would add a second one before the other with out the guts but instead put a healthy magnet in it to catch the particles which did a damn good job.

Phil

joseph m. hahnl
08-15-2005, 08:33 PM
No Glass! Poodle is right on the Racor it will not let that stuff through, carry an extra cartridge. How old is your boat, does it have a steel tank? If so nurse for the season then do a George Carter job.
I have seen dark reddish looking stuff come out of aluminum tanks which appeared to be rust but was not, we never figured out what is was but it was not magnetic. Years back before all these nice filters showed up most everyone used Wilcox bronze strainers, when the tanks would start to go bad we would add a second one before the other with out the guts but instead put a healthy magnet in it to catch the particles which did a damn good job.

Phil

no i don't beleive the tank is bad. it's just contamination. thanks for the racor lead.
i said glass as in see thru. oops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yes glass would break. gas all in the bildge. how foolish could i be :bonk: ?

joe