PDA

View Full Version : A painted boat?

superhatz
08-14-2005, 02:26 PM
I'm considering buying a boat that has been painted. I have reason to believe it was done to a very high standard but I've been away from boats for many years and I don't know anymore.

My question is......how durable is paint as opposed to gelcoat?

Thanks.

boatnut
08-14-2005, 02:31 PM
In my opinion, it depends entirely on the type of paint and who applied it. A good two-part paint (like Imron) could be better than gelcoat as far as durability and UV exposure life. I personally think gelcoat is best on the hull and bottom but paint could excel on the deck. Ed

Cuda
08-14-2005, 03:02 PM
A high quality paint job is much more durable than gel. Paint is not recommended below the water line if the boat is going to sit in the water for any length of time.

joseph m. hahnl
08-14-2005, 07:57 PM
A high quality paint job is much more durable than gel. Paint is not recommended below the water line if the boat is going to sit in the water for any length of time.

sorry cuda: i have to disagree. gel coat is way more durable and it doesn't scratch off like paint. my whaler has imron. which has held up pretty good but it wears off in the high traffic areas. my minx seems to have enamal all over it. looks really good but it scratches off here and there and every where . there's even patches that have come off the bottom. i think that if you keep your gel waxed regularly you will never have it fade as far as stress cracks go, in time they will show thru the paint .

joe

mphatc
08-14-2005, 08:31 PM
Paint is easy to apply and the choice for a lower cost refinish system . .. .very easy to hide bad work or repairs underneath!

gelcoat, adds thickness and done properly requires removal of much of the old gelcoat,then lots of prep before applying the new coat, followed by lots of careful wet sanding and polishing to restore the shine.

Gelcoat is best for a boat that gets used, paint for the show toy IMHO!

My Corsican has some wear, minor gelcoat cracks and is loosing its luster as it ages, hey it's a 69 . . . all will be repaired w/o a complete refinish, and when I'm done it will only be visable to those who know where to look. Old colors can be matched with care and time!!!

Basically, you can't beat gelcoat . . I would be cautious with a painted boat unless I knew what was underneath!

Mario L.

Cuda
08-14-2005, 10:00 PM
sorry cuda: i have to disagree. gel coat is way more durable and it doesn't scratch off like paint. my whaler has imron. which has held up pretty good but it wears off in the high traffic areas. my minx seems to have enamal all over it. looks really good but it scratches off here and there and every where . there's even patches that have come off the bottom. i think that if you keep your gel waxed regularly you will never have it fade as far as stress cracks go, in time they will show thru the paint .

joe
I guess we will agree to disagree. I've got polyurethane on one of my boats, and gel on my Minx. Yes, you can keep compounding and waxing the gel, which is basically refinishing it every time. The poly is tough as nails, and shines up very easily.

David Ochs
08-14-2005, 10:08 PM
Nothing wrong with paint. The Awlgrip on mine is pushing ten years now and looks fantastic. I'll bet a nickel that Hatteras still uses linear polyurethane on all their new boats. Let's not argue the quality of that.

martiniboat
08-15-2005, 04:38 PM
I must say, I too am a believer in polyurethane paint systems.

I refinished my 78' Martini (in Imron) many moons ago and I never expected it to look like it was 'just' sprayed from the gun 8+ years later. As was mentioned earlier, I wouldn't leave it in the water for long periods of time and that was part of my decision to paint, since I trailer...

B

gcarter
08-15-2005, 06:24 PM
The paint on my hull sides, transom, and deck stripe have held up very well. It's not Imron, but high end R-M automotive paint. It stays shiny continually.
I probably wouldn't use paint on decks people walk on, unless it was an industrial anti-skid type paint. I would also re-gel my deck if necessary, but I like paint. It's very easy to apply and finish.

The Hedgehog
08-15-2005, 09:40 PM
You can comb your hair while looking at the side of my boat.

Magicallbill
08-15-2005, 11:58 PM

And the debate goes on.....

Jason's and my restoration projects have both been painted at the request of my mechanic by the guys at Skater Performance Catamarans.
Right now they look great,obviously...
Cuda,what do mean by "any length of time?"
Days...
Weeks...?
We will trailer,but may leave them in for a week's vacation sometime. That seems okay to me..
Heck, there are waters where a few days gives a scum line that's tough to remove.
Is paint more apt to scum up quicker than gel?
MB..

mattyboy
08-16-2005, 08:23 AM
let me weigh in on this,
my 16 has a urethane paint job done in 98-99 or so for a 1967 16 it shines like no bodies business and when i got the boat in summer 2001 it had a few blemishes and no blisters, now it was left in the water half a season in '01 a and full season in '02 ( may-oct) and started to blister, in '03 and '04 it was left in the water for maybe 2 months total, and the paint below the water line is shot, this season she is on the trailer and has seen the water for maybe 4 hours running time down from 50-60 hours a season ( I knew I would lose time in the boat not having it in the water ready to go at a moments notice), now the blisters are on the gunwales not the bottom the paint on the bottom just leaves in big chunks, the deck is imron and holds up well under the 4 of us using the boat for tubing skiing and normal use, I think paint looks better, and if care for properly holds it looks better than gel, now would a gel boat have blistered in that time I don't know
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1044

gcarter
08-16-2005, 08:48 AM
Your right Matty, gelled boats do blister if left in the water all the time, particularly down here with such warm water.
We often forget this.

sparepartz
08-16-2005, 09:13 AM
Imron and awlgrip look way nicer, have used both on donzi projects. However,I like gelcoat for durability as in my mako 224. fishboats aside-2 part paint is really nice. A lot of people forget that gelcoat is porus and can let in water, making blisters even in fresh water. clearly paint has its advantages, and lots of top quality yachts come new with paint.

Moody Blu'
08-17-2005, 11:41 PM
Your right Matty, gelled boats do blister if left in the water all the time, particularly down here with such warm water.
We often forget this.

gelcoat blisters if left in water?

my boat has been left in for more then 4 years no blisters on the bare gel

did you mean paint?

joseph m. hahnl
08-19-2005, 07:12 PM
well well well!!!! the answer to the original question should be>

if you like the boat it doesn't matter if it has paint it should not detur you from purchasing the boat. paint or gel ?it seems it is at an equal for maintenance. each has there own pros and cons. maybe the best of both worlds would be gel for color. and a clear poly for shine and durabilty.

joe

mrfixxall
09-06-2005, 05:11 PM
just so you all know donzi uses sikkens paint on all their graffix so if thay say its ok then its ok to use paint on your boat>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>