PDA

View Full Version : Nice CRACK

Trueser
08-13-2005, 07:39 AM
After hours and hours trying to figure out where the water was coming in on the 29 we found the problem a couple of nights ago. And yes the water came in pretty good. The boat shop that installed the transom and Gimbals said that he did'nt crack the drive, :smash: This is something that I wanted to do myself and we opted to save time and have the shop do it. we also had to pull the motors he installed and reinstall them correctly.

As you see the crack starts just below the mid bolt. I think it was cracked when he installed the gimbal. I also found the hose on the water intake was kinked. So that was also replaced.

We already repaired the crack and we should be back in the water today. We used JB weld and it looks like it did just fine.

I am on the hunt for a complete drive and will be replacing myself over the winter.

Do you think this damage was done on install or could it possibly happen when pulling the Bearing?

Mike

MOP
08-13-2005, 08:44 AM
Mike looking at pic #2 it looks like the shoulder of the bore shows signs of the driving tool hitting it on the cracked side, also the crack looks as if it may extend down to the small round casting mark but is still covered by the paint. My $ is on the bearing was driven in way to hard, many guys feel they have to send it home. It is far better driven slowly with a 16oz hammer then a 2-4lbs thumper, use of the proper driver and being held absolutely straight is also of the utmost importance. I have seen that type crack before, $64,000 ? who did the bearing job.

Phil

gcarter
08-13-2005, 09:01 AM
Uhhhh Ohhhhh!!!!!!!

Trueser
08-14-2005, 08:07 AM
Phil,
I had it in the water after replacing the bearing with no leak. Anyway I sealed it up with JBWELD and it should be fine.

I'm still on the hunt for a replacment.

Mike

Trueser
08-14-2005, 09:36 PM
Matt tested this afternoon with NO LEAKS!!!!

Another JBWELD fix.............

DonziBlue
08-15-2005, 09:43 PM
Hello Mike: Glad you got it fixed in a short amount of time.

Lake Michigan was great tonight. I even had a few good races - and I had a full load of people in the boat. I had some visitors from other parts of the country. They really enjoyed the ride - and the races too. People just can't leave a Donzi alone when they see you cruising along the Lake Michigan shoreline :rlol: For as long as I had to run fast tonight I'm glad I got that drive shower now. It works great.

Let me know when you're coming up again. The maritime festival is this weekend.

Brad