PDA

View Full Version : What's it worth? and a few other questions...

KericksonZJ
08-10-2005, 09:01 PM
1992 Classic 18, 351, king cobra, under 200 hours, barrett trim tabs, etc....

I'm in the middle of buying the boat, and I need to know what it's worth.

Boat has been in salt water, and has been sitting in a car port since summer of 02. Boat was always maintained perfectly, and flushed after being in the salt.

What needs to be done to the boat to get it in the water again? My friend said change all the fluids, and put a new impeller in the drive, and get rid of the POS spit fire ignition (plus maybe rebuild the POS holley carb).

thanks everyone

Kelly.

Formula Jr
08-11-2005, 11:04 PM
13K.

Does it come with a Donzi Jacket?

KericksonZJ
08-13-2005, 12:51 PM
No, just a donzi thong and a zoro mask:biggrin:
:flag-mari

MOP
08-13-2005, 02:52 PM
OK let me play Doom Sayer having worked on this stuff too many years!

3 years is a long time to sit, was it started on a fairly regular basis? If not check for rusty bores, if a bore scope is not handy a reasonable and simple check for rusty bores is to spray a lot WD40 in all the cylinders then spin it over with clean white rags hanging by the spark plug holes, any cylinders that shoot out dark red WD40 will more then likely have a problem. If that looks OK I would run it on the hose for a little while 30-40 minutes, low maybe 1000 RPM is fine your ears will tell you a lot. Then let it cool just enough to do a compression test, there is a good chance the rings may be stuck and not want to come loose. There other things that usually turn up are rust by the crank seals (ruins the seals in a short time), real lazy hydraulics and dried out seals(should be cycled many times to see if leaks turn up). I have run into this stuff many times on well maintained boats that people just let lay, then want to use/sell them only to find out they need to spend quite a lot to have things fixed. I have a case in point going on right now, a 2001 34 Cruisers with 496's with only 36 hours on them. It laid for two years, then the owner decided to use it so we got it for spring prep. Both engines were toast, hung valves and rusty bores, we opened them up they were puke inside. They are sitting on the floor while the new ones get shipped in.

Sorry for the long post but boats that sit need a real intrusive mechanical inspection.

Phil

KericksonZJ
08-14-2005, 12:58 PM
OK let me play Doom Sayer having worked on this stuff too many years!

3 years is a long time to sit, was it started on a fairly regular basis? If not check for rusty bores, if a bore scope is not handy a reasonable and simple check for rusty bores is to spray a lot WD40 in all the cylinders then spin it over with clean white rags hanging by the spark plug holes, any cylinders that shoot out dark red WD40 will more then likely have a problem. If that looks OK I would run it on the hose for a little while 30-40 minutes, low maybe 1000 RPM is fine your ears will tell you a lot. Then let it cool just enough to do a compression test, there is a good chance the rings may be stuck and not want to come loose. There other things that usually turn up are rust by the crank seals (ruins the seals in a short time), real lazy hydraulics and dried out seals(should be cycled many times to see if leaks turn up). I have run into this stuff many times on well maintained boats that people just let lay, then want to use/sell them only to find out they need to spend quite a lot to have things fixed. I have a case in point going on right now, a 2001 34 Cruisers with 496's with only 36 hours on them. It laid for two years, then the owner decided to use it so we got it for spring prep. Both engines were toast, hung valves and rusty bores, we opened them up they were puke inside. They are sitting on the floor while the new ones get shipped in.

Sorry for the long post but boats that sit need a real intrusive mechanical inspection.

Phil

I hope you're wrong, hope you didn't jinx me.