PDA

View Full Version : totally stock or not???????

Silver Bullet
08-09-2005, 10:26 PM
Okay, what would you do?

Our 22 Classic does not have a cleat one on it, no radio, and not even a ski hook for the rope. Yea, they would add a little more convienece. However, I just don't think I could drill the holes.

What would you do or what did you do?:yes:

Dr. Dan
08-09-2005, 10:46 PM
:spongebob Bullet, get some cleats, anyone who has ever rafted up, tied up to a nasty Dock or Piers knows the damage these areas can do to your Hull.

Heck in 1000 Isles I got some nasty Gel Damage, at Winnie I got Raft Up Pops and I have 4 Cleats. Now if your boat is the Rarest of Rare, or as Pristine as Scott Pearsons or a very Limited Hull...and you are restoring it to Concourse Condition...then I can understand...hell now they have awesome Pop Up Cleats... I see it alot..in the end it's a personal choice. Me I added 2 Center Side Cleats after our first Season...Cuz the Steering Wheel thing didn't work so well, and the Grab Handle is also not as neat as a Cleat.

But that's just me... I believe in protecting the Boat...if they are installed right they look fine and can really save your Hull, most of the time. :beer:

Go to some events, check out what others have done , browse our photo Gallery www.atlanticcoastdonzi.com and look at the Boats... I think you will find it both ways actually. It's preference. Good Luck

Doc & Welcome :spongebob

Richard McCoy
08-09-2005, 10:48 PM
Drill the holes to protect the boat. Check were everyone else installed their's.

Sam
08-10-2005, 05:42 AM
If it was my boat I would use pop up cleats.

gcarter
08-10-2005, 06:38 AM
Donzi's have come in all kinds of formats. There's nothing sacred about it.
For instance, Minx's came with no cleats, bottom bolted aluminum cleats, and SST cleats of various sizes and locations. They came with transom mounted towing rings and W/O. Most Minx's came with side mounted engine room vents, but at least one has top mounted clamshell vents.
Open your eyes and see the variation out there. Your boat value will never change $0.01 because of these details.
You're much more likely to suffer damage to the boat and the value W/O cleats than with.
Protect your investment...put on cleats.

undertaker
08-10-2005, 08:51 AM
Just bought a 05 22 classic had NO mid cleats, had them installed before I took delivery of boat :biggrin.: Its a no brainer IMO you need cleats to protect the boat and make your life easier. If installed correctly they actually look nice on a 22 classic IMO :biggrin.: :biggrin.: Good luck and welcome to the board.

Undertaker :fire:

Formula Jr
08-10-2005, 10:02 PM
What if you trailer and that bow U-bolt broke off? And you didn't have any tie down points on the transom. Or there is nothing to hang a fender off of and some low dock has no rail for dock fenders? What to do? What to do? Why make it harder conforming to Donzi's stock form minimalism.

boatnut
08-11-2005, 11:31 PM
Well i also vote for adding the cleats. I just got a '97 22 a few weeks ago and experienced the problems of having no cleats midship. My last 22 was like my 18 without a windshield and with a rail on each side of the cockpit to hang on to --- and to tie fenders to. I am disappointed at Donzi for not doing something to resolve this issue prior to shipping these boats. Tieing a fender to a steering wheel (not to mention no place to put a spring line) is negligent.
I went with the same cleats they factory installed on the rear of the boat centered in the engine hatch area -- at first glance I didn't think they were factory installed but they were. I almost changed them all out to the pop up types but realized the pop up type show more visually than the type Donzi put on the rear of the boat. And the cleats are not in an area that are easy to trip over etc. I installed the front ones in line with the SS windshield molding so they blend into the lines of the boat nicely (an important criteria as this boat is all about beauty). My next step might be to remove the factory stereo radio and replace it with a small glove compartment -- I hate to do this as I believe in leaving stock things alone -- but I don't listen to the radio-- I listen to the motor-- and we live on a lake so we use the boat to go places not to beach and trip out to the latest tunes. Life is tough when we have such difficult decisions to face on a daily basis :) . Ed

Dr. Dan
08-12-2005, 06:36 AM
:wavey: I measured roughly 6" back from the visual lowest rake - front of the Windshield(6" is to the front end of the cleat not centerline), I came out 2" from the Chrome Side Window Frame and installed a serious backing Plate of 3/8" Ply-Painted & Sealed and backed with serious Nylon and Stainless Oversize Washers. The Cleats are the Standard 6" Cleats as in the Rear. :smash:

Initially it was awkward thinking about it...but visually they disappear in the boats profile and functionally at the docks I would not change them for anything. I used the cleats for a pattern and marked the drill holes in pencil, and these were the first things I persaonally ever installed on my boat. Most chastise me for never turning a wrench on my Donzi ... fact is I do, just not the serious stuff, plus to me this was real serious drilling holes...but it worked and has worked awesome. I highly recomend them, you can always go larger to the Pop Up Cleats latter on when the budget allows.

Good luck :wavey:

Doc of Cleat Drillers AFL-CIO Local Bay Chapter :smash:

Silver Bullet
08-12-2005, 07:26 AM
OK, Ok, Ok, and Ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would never have guessed the board felt this stongly about this. I questioned my self for asking such a crazy question. Everyone made good points.

I will start looking at different cleat styles. :banghead:

Thank you for your opinions

Barry Phillips
08-12-2005, 11:05 AM
Silver Bullet, I feel your pain, I had an 18 with no cleats and frankly it was a pain in the ***. On my 22 I installed Alcon Slim Lines pull up style cleats 6” on the stern and 4” a mid ships just aft of the windshield frame in the same location as the pop up style installed on the SE. The only problem I had with the Slim Lines is my boat had the stock 4 screw cleats in the stern. The pre drilled holes showed a little, so I added bezels to the cover them up. I went with the Slim Lines because they are post mounted, so no hardware shows creating s nice simple look. These cleats really compliment the 22’s lines, plus you don’t have a dock line draped over your windshield when underway. Another option is a recessed button cleat just forward of the windshield, these can be ordered to match your boot strip. Remember that these boats can be custom from the factory, so I would not worry about it. The SE 22 has four pops up cleats on it, military style toggles switches, and colored ked grab handles in the rear. Keep ii simple and functional, you won’t go wrong.

BP

roadtrip se
08-12-2005, 11:39 AM
they don't detract from the look at all.

As a matter of fact, they cleaned things up in the back.
I don't know how many times I caught an elbow, shorts, or whatever on the factory cleats, before they got replaced with the flush mounts!

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10041

Dr. Dan
08-12-2005, 11:51 AM
they don't detract from the look at all.

As a matter of fact, they cleaned things up in the back.
I don't know how many times I caught an elbow, shorts, or whatever on the factory cleats, before they got replaced with the flush mounts!

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10041

:wavey: Didn't Ranman win an Award for the Funniest Story involving a Cleat Story...Hmmm? :D

Anonymous Surgeon of Not a Damn Thing :embarasse

KFLB143
08-12-2005, 12:01 PM
:orcawhale
Okay, what would you do?

Our 22 Classic does not have a cleat one on it, no radio, and not even a ski hook for the rope. Yea, they would add a little more convienece. However, I just don't think I could drill the holes.

What would you do or what did you do?:yes:

I have had my 6921GT since June of 1969. Lift rings fore and aft no cleats.

I have never installed cleats. I use the lift rings and eye when needed.

Never posed much of a problem. I always rig my bumpers from the boats cleats that I tie up to. At the dock I use the seat hand rails when needed.

LD