PDA

View Full Version : Seawater strainer...

gcarter
08-09-2005, 05:54 PM
Man, I don't know how anyone can get by without one of these!!! :eek: :eek:
I pulled out the basket today, and this is what it picked up in about two hours of running in the St. Johns River Saturday.
I'm glad all this stuff isn't in my coolers!! :D

:wavey:

Cuda
08-09-2005, 06:16 PM
Do you have any kind of screen at all over your intake?

MOP
08-09-2005, 06:23 PM
George just imagine how much junk collects in the blocks of raw water cooled engines, sure a lot stays in suspension and makes it out but a fair bit settles to the bottom of the block.

Phil

Last Tango
08-09-2005, 07:46 PM
Hmmm. I always have a small tangle of eel grass in my strainer after a run to the Glen. I always check the intakes at the bottom of the drive once I get to deeper water outside the Glen. Eel grass has caused many an overheated engine coming out of there, as several of our board members can atest to that. Sea strainer is the only way to fly. Of course a good chart and a depth meter might have kept some of that gravel looking stuff out as well.

rustnrot
08-09-2005, 08:20 PM
Phil is right about how much of this stuff settles in a block. I have seen old inline sixes out of Chris Crafts where the water jackets around the engine are nearly full of mud! Sure the strainers help, but the only way to really keep your block pristine is with FWC like George C. has.

Jamesbon
08-09-2005, 08:56 PM
FWC, Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still don't understand why anyone would run a V-8 w/o it....????

MOP
08-09-2005, 09:05 PM
Ditto Nate! I am upping from 1/2 to full shortly.

Phil

gold-n-rod
08-09-2005, 09:30 PM
Eww, that third pic looks like the sidewalk outside a bar in a college town after 25 cent beer and free happy hour appetizer night. Huuuurrrrrrlllllll.

:eek:

gcarter
08-09-2005, 09:33 PM
Eww, that third pic looks like the sidewalk outside a bar in a college town after 25 cent beer and free happy hour appetizer night. Huuuurrrrrrlllllll.

:eek:
Or a worksite where everyone there chews and spits!!! :rlol: :spit: