PDA

View Full Version : Are trim tabs a must?

usm34me
08-09-2005, 12:41 PM
We're newbie operators/owners of an 18' Classic (351H&M/270OD) with no OD trim or tabs. I'd like to have more "control" over the boat while at the helm.

What are the tab options in the market (Bennett M-80 kit @ <$500) that you might suggest? ...the best online source?

What gains in comfort and performance might we expect?

Thanks,

glashole
08-09-2005, 01:22 PM
yes

:D

Tony
08-09-2005, 01:29 PM
In my mind trim tabs are a must. I cannot imagine my 16' in any kind of rough water without them. I have Bennett Sport tabs and can tell you from experience that it is a great company to deal with. Others will say that there are heavier, quicker acting tabs that they prefer. Search the topic for opinions and web sites...good luck.

marcdups
08-09-2005, 01:38 PM
Tony, do you have the dual or single rams??

Formula Jr
08-09-2005, 02:10 PM
What tabs will do in your case, is let you set the drive in the highest hole and then trim down when you need to.
I think they are neccesary, not just additional, for an 18.
Better if you have both drive and tab trim. But given one of the two, I'd rather have tab trim. Benneitts are great, you will have no problems with that company.
The rocker switch kit is more intuitive than the joystick. A little more $$$ but worth it.

donzi182003
08-09-2005, 03:29 PM
Yes they are necessary. He who says they are not has never experienced the ride on an 18 with tabs. I hated the way my boat rode until I got tabs. Mine only runs good with no tabs at 50+ mph. I never cruise that fast so I use them all the time.

My 2 cents

Ed

Barry Phillips
08-09-2005, 04:14 PM
I did not have tabs on my 18, never had the heart to drill holes in the transom. The 18’s fly really level so the boat did not need them at high speed, but they would have been handy in a crosswind or quartering sea.

Dual ram tabs are not a necessary on a 16 or an 18, but they look so dam good. Don’t get hung up Bennett either, do your homework. Victory makes a great looking piece, which will utilize a standard Bennett pump.

MOP
08-09-2005, 06:27 PM
You can do better on price on Ebay, I know two guys now that got 9X12" for just over $370 shipped. You will not regret getting them!

Phil

Tony
08-09-2005, 07:25 PM
Single ram Bennett Sport Tabs on my 16', they are quick enough for my needs.

gold-n-rod
08-09-2005, 08:22 PM
My 16 came from the factory with both tabs and indicators. Here's what I've found these past 3 months of ownership:

I use them waaay less now (especially at cruising speeds and above) then when I was first learning to drive it. The more the seat time, the more they stay up. Still, when it starts that cycle of porposing, it's nice to be able to just drop some tab and end it..... right now. When I am running WFO, I drop my port tab just a skitch and it helps keep it on an even keel (pun intended). I also drop them a bit when I am coming out of the hole and onto plane.

Also,the proper prop helps a lot, too. I am now running a Turbo I 22P (thanks, Sam!) and it's a much better handler than with the other props I tried. Tabs are only a bandaid for a prop mismatch.

DickB
08-09-2005, 10:15 PM
I find the tabs on my 18 invaluable for moderate-speed cruises to bring the bow down for a more comfortable ride. You can also get a bit more efficient with tabs at moderate speed. They are good to eliminate porpoising in moderate chop also at low to moderate speeds as was mentioned already. They are very useful to balance the ride port or starboard, especially with passengers. I always aim to trim them up for speed runs, and as much as I like driving fast, the reality is I spend more time at 30 or 40 than 60, so use the tabs frequently.

My used boat came with Bennetts. I added the new Bennett trim tab indicators this season which are a convenience that I like and would recommend, but are not necessary. I have the rocker switches which I also like.

usm34me
08-10-2005, 01:04 AM
Thanks all for the advice and comments. It seems the 8x10 M-80 Bennett's would be best suited for the 18' hull, our budget and style of cruising. Found the complete kit for <$400 online but will monitor ebay to see what pops in the next few days.

Lou

Formula Jr
08-10-2005, 02:08 AM
If you are looken on eBay, make sure they have the interruptor box if selling the rocker switches also. The sellers may not know that this is a componet of the rocker switch system. The joystick system doesn't need this. But the joystick system is much harder to use.

You should have gotten your Volvo book by now. Let me know if you didn't.

Owen.

usm34me
08-10-2005, 11:16 AM
If you are looken on eBay, make sure they have the interruptor box if selling the rocker switches also. The sellers may not know that this is a componet of the rocker switch system. The joystick system doesn't need this. But the joystick system is much harder to use.

You should have gotten your Volvo book by now. Let me know if you didn't.

Owen.

Owen, thanks for the rocker tip and the manual. The manual will come in handy... see new thread; "Help...blew exhaust hose."

Dalelama
08-10-2005, 04:54 PM
Pick up the Bennett "Racing type" push button controls... they will NOT push thru the hole after the trim piece wears out due to time & ultra-violet deteriation.... easy to install... look sharp too!

Totally sealed... no corrosion problems... and a better "feel" when things get "hairy"............

KericksonZJ
08-11-2005, 12:14 PM
Pick up the Bennett "Racing type" push button controls... they will NOT push thru the hole after the trim piece wears out due to time & ultra-violet deteriation.... easy to install... look sharp too!

Totally sealed... no corrosion problems... and a better "feel" when things get "hairy"............

The "racing type" controler is the best IMO. We put it on our boat, and it fits the boat, not looking out of place at all on the dash.

boatnut
08-11-2005, 09:05 PM
I have a '69 18 and previously had a '67 18, neither had tabs nor needed them. I always use the most trimmed out hole of the three options on the Volvo drive and they run nice and free at higher speeds (only in the mid 50's with these two boats) and do not porpoise at lower speeds. The only use I would have for tabs is that they would prevent me having to occassionaly rearrange the seating of an unusually heavy passanger. The difference between my experience (of not needing tabs on an 18) and some of the others that say they are a must might be in the bottoms of the boats. My current 18 has a very slight hook -- either by design or by accident from the curing process when the boat was built or ???? But, the slight hook really makes the 18 a nicely balanced ride at all speeds that we have achieved.
Ed

Chili 18
08-12-2005, 02:02 AM
Use em all the time, for all the reasons mentioned. For slow cruising in mid size chop I lift the boat with the drive and drop the bow with tabs. Makes for a real "air lift" smooth ride over the wavetops..