PDA

View Full Version : I broke down and did it!

MOP
08-08-2005, 09:44 PM
I strapped a brandy new Bravo X 1.5 diesel drive on the 22, it is the new style has a sloped housing similar to the Volvo's with a big finned heat sink on top and high and low water pickups. To me it is way nicer looking then the Bravo 1. I ran it the other night turned 63 flat @ 5500, the only Merc wheel I have is a 21 Mirage so I need to hunt up a couple of steeper ones to test. It runs 41-42 @ 3500 so I think I may hit the cruise speed I been after with a few more inches of pitch. The boat is running better with the Bravo "BUT" I do miss the super handling and flat turns of the BH and the neat rooster tail! with the Bravo first hard left at speed it rolled up on its ear damn near stained my shorts, have to get used to that again the BH carved the turns like butter. The boat needs less trim to get loose then it did with the Alpha and before the CG change, it has very light porpoise from 28 to 3500 but a tickle on the tabs does away with it. I am thinking of trying a 22 4 blade and a maybe 23 cleaver which may help the porpoise issue. Any input appreciated.

Phil

Trueser
08-08-2005, 09:49 PM
Phil,
I will ship you a 23 cleaver that you can try. I would like to try the 21 mirage. I run a 21 turbo and only get 4000 rpms on the 22.

I also need a set of 21's on the Z29... I have 19 cleavers on that are perfect. but the rpms get up to 5200..

MIke

Lenny
08-08-2005, 10:19 PM
...VERY neat to hear how it all worked out and your balls to "fix" it, then pony up and put a lesson in the history books. You tried it, it didn't work, you fixed it, we all learned :yes:

You get points from me for that. I will be in that same boat soon as well. ;)

Glad you are happy now :)

MOP
08-08-2005, 11:29 PM
Mike I will give you a call! Hmm some horse trading!

Lenny not sure I have given up on the BH, you should grab one for your 18 it will handle fantastic and go way better then most other setups. I am teetering on what to do need to stew on it a bit. I got a good look at Steve's props at 1K the front wheel has very steep rake IE a lot of lift, his 18 cranks and handle like a Porsche. I still think I would like to try a set of BH 27's before I totally give it up, I was generously offered Don Cig's 27's but put it on hold. Don's props are at the prop shop getting massaged I know he wants to play with his 18 and if by chance I dinged them I would be some crushed, I may wait for a set that is gathering dust. I still think with some fiddling it can work, need props and or more weight shifting, Arneson rockers. It did have a little trim at mid range but went flat at WOT with some rake it may break loose. Have a bunch of mixed feeling on it, it only takes about 45 minutes to swap the drives. Dave's 22 ran decent when he had the drive and it would have done better with a re gear or less pitch, he had shifting problems which I fixed when I got it. I am so busy right now that I can not get into to much, I am going to get it straightened out with the Bravo and just enjoy for now.
Phil