PDA

View Full Version : Low profile flame arrestor?

zimm17
08-04-2005, 02:56 PM
I was poking around my engine and wondered why they kept the old school sheetmetal disc flame arrestor the '96 454 mag when the previous owner repowered it. From the looks of it, the arrestor is touching the engine hatch.

Is this thing killing my airflow? Is there a low profile flame arrestor that will flow better? Would I have more power removing the stock 1" carb spacer and using a bigger filter, or just leave it as is?

MOP
08-04-2005, 03:52 PM
Problem with most low profiles available is they are not CG approved, that being said K&N has a few thin large cap oblong ones. I have seen a few used by making top & bottom plates to snadwich one in between.

Phil

JimG
08-09-2005, 07:57 AM
That's acutally one of the better flowing designs out there. Family & Performance Boating did a dyno article a few months back and tested a bunch of filters and arrestors. The Merc disc-type and the BIG TALL k&N were the best. Some of the bling-bling aftermarket arrestors were killing airflow something terrible.

rustnrot
08-09-2005, 08:15 PM
I can tell you this. I was fidding around with a friend's low profile arrestor on a 350 the other day at WOT. When I tried to take it off, the g-d engine sucked it down like a two dollar whore! IMHO the thing was waaaay to restrictive! YMMV.