PDA

View Full Version : Will this Lexan work?

Trueser
08-04-2005, 11:52 AM
I broke my window already on my 22. I speared a Michigan wave and it hit the top of the window and Poof. Time to replace.

Will this work? Or should I go with 3/8?

Has anyone found the replacement rubber for the stainless windshields yet? I never had any on mine and I think that it contributed to its failure.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GE-Lexan-Sheet-125-X-4-X-8-Clear_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ46093QQitemZ45655 52451QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Donzi Boy
08-04-2005, 12:07 PM
I have an 87 22' classic that I am presently replacing the wind shield for. Mine has two tabs that curve up in front of the two front passengers head to deflect wind over head. I am having the Molding Shop in Pensacola re-fab me an exact duplicate using the lexan. When original, the windshield and side shields were a tinted plastic/lexan material. In time the shields became spider-webbed with cracks in the tint so I simply put a coat of base coat, clear coat on the shields and it looks great. Total charge for the new windshield,,, $315. The Moulding Shops phone # is (850) 457 3996, the gentlemens name is Tracy. Good Luck!!

gcarter
08-04-2005, 12:55 PM
I broke my window already on my 22. I speared a Michigan wave and it hit the top of the window and Poof. Time to replace.

Has anyone found the replacement rubber for the stainless windshields yet? I never had any on mine and I think that it contributed to its failure.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GE-Lexan-Sheet-125-X-4-X-8-Clear_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ46093QQitemZ45655 52451QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
Gee Mike, if that's all the original was (1/8"), that's the problem!!!!
As far as rubber goes, Hemmings Motor News has some advertisers that have huge collections of many different moldings. You can probably check that on line.
Good luck! :wavey:

glashole
08-04-2005, 01:41 PM
that is a good price for the lexan they are offering
I retail that for about $160.00 canadian in my shop
HOWEVER what they are selling is 1/8" thick and would not be thick enough to make a windshield out of
(we have made snowmobile windshields out of it but they have more bends and are smaller therefore work fine)

1/4" might work however I would go with the 3/8 for sure.
it would be alot stronger and would provide a great product if fabricated properly by the right shop

that $300 sounds about right for a quality job

regards

Shea

rustnrot
08-04-2005, 02:11 PM
1/4" should be plenty. Home Depot carries it in our part of the country.....

roadtrip se
08-04-2005, 04:20 PM
Mine turned out great.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39360

I would not go el cheapo on the lexan, unless you really dig replacing your shield on a semi regular basis. We used scratch and UV resistant stuff in a gray tint with great results. Of course, it only took two of us about fourteen hours to get it done.

As for the rubber inserts, I went with all new rubber gaskets from a shower door company. Cheapest and easiest part of the job and it looks fine after some hard running this season.

Good luck,

joseph m. hahnl
08-04-2005, 08:04 PM
there is a big difference between lexan and acrilic sheets. lexan is suppose to be bullet proof where acrilic will break crack and shatter. 1/8 is way to flimsy 3/16 .187 would be minimum. and i would say 3/8 is way to thick.

joe

synack
08-05-2005, 01:45 AM

Definitely go with the lexan! Lexan is some pretty strong stuff. It's 250 times stronger than glass and 30 times stronger than the acrylic that you used in windshield Mark I. 1/4" Polycarbonate would probably be ideal for windshield Mark II. Although, you may find it challenging to find tinted Lexan. Also, you may want to consider getting the Abrasion Resistant variety of polycarbonate. Supposedly this stuff is about as abrasion resistant as glass.

You can also search for Tuffak, Hyzod, and Makrolon. Along with Lexan, these are all brand names for polycarbonate.

You're probably better off checking with Total Plastics and seeing if they can hook you up with a sheet. Since they are local, you can pick up the order. If I remember right from when I was researching all this stuff when I built my downstairs fishtank, 4'x8' sheets must be freighted. That would surely add a considerable cost.

Here's another place that I have had good luck with when I did my tank (they are by Belmont and Pulaski):

Peterson Bros. Plastics
2929 N. Pulaski Rd
Chicago IL 60641
773-286-5666

Greg
08-09-2005, 07:33 AM
When I redid the windshield on my Scarab I went to Piper Plastics and got some 1/4" lexan. If I have to redo it again, I will go with 3/16" smoked lexan. The phone # is 847-367-0110. They are located in Libertybille, Il. Good luck to you.

Trueser
08-09-2005, 09:56 AM
Greg,
Why are you replacing it again? And is there a reason that you need to downsize?

Ordered 48x96 1/4 lexan clear a/r scratch resistant @ 236.00 cut.

Mike

Greg
08-09-2005, 04:33 PM
On the Scarab, the lexan bends around and screws directly into a recessed area on the deck. If I am not mistaken on the 22 Classic the lexan is in a frame. I would go thinner for my application just because of the tight bend I can see some trouble spots already. I would go darker cause I think it looks cool. I have also been told not to use window cleaner on lexan, just soap and water.

glashole
08-10-2005, 07:38 AM
its not so much the cleaner as the rag you are using

the lexan is soft and therefore scratches easily

soap and water is your best bet aside from a plastic polish (as made by NOVUS)

if you want to use glass cleaner make sure you use a chamois or something like that not paper towel

Trueser
08-11-2005, 10:21 AM
Ok I was thinking about putting a 1/8" rubber seal between the Lexan and the Hull. The problem with a clear sheet you can see the glass and it's not accessible to keep clean. My other option was to have the stainless increased in size to cover.

What do you guys think?

glashole
08-11-2005, 12:31 PM
what about just painting the underside of the lexan like they do on cars where they don't want to show whats behind it :convertib

Trueser
08-11-2005, 01:49 PM
That was my other option. But I also like the soft rubber for vibration and wear.

Mike