PDA

View Full Version : prop torque again

blueliner
08-03-2005, 11:33 AM
i had put a post about my boat leaning to the left at wot. just got off the phone w/ hydromotive about ordering a quad 4 and he told me there might be a "hook" on the boat at the transom. that donzi might have put on as a liabilty issue to prevent the boat from going fast. he thought it might be a good idea to put a post on the registry to see if anyone else might have heard of this. he said that he has never heard of prop torque at that high an rpm. usually he said it is up to 4400 rpm after that it should go away. anyone have any thoughts... just got off the phone w/ teague performance and bob teague is suggesting i use a left hand prop instead of a rh prop. i was like, what!!!! that would require all of the throttle controls being reversed. what do you all think. that seems like a lot of work for a problem that shouldn't be occurring in the first place.

Cuda
08-03-2005, 11:55 AM
When I repowered my F20, I had a lot of prop torque using a 24" Turbo. I tried a 23" Cleaver and it helped a lot.

roadtrip se
08-03-2005, 12:41 PM
I have run a left hander for testing purposes a few years back and you really don't want to do that... trust me. With two big guys in the boat about equal weight, the beast wanted to torque right over on its side coming up on plane.
Of course, you can try it, just remember forward is reverse, reverse is forward, and good luck at the gas docks. Our local marina girl really enjoyed the show when I tried it...

There are a lot of opinions here on this, but I only run tabs down under the most adverse wind or weight conditions. Rest of the time, they are up, and way up. Donzi does not put a hook into their hulls to slow them down. Baja does which has the result of slowing down an already slow boat even further. If the hook was there, it would be on both sides, to even out the ride attitude.

Check your boat out. You will be able to visually see a hook. Take a straight edge to the back end, just to check. Have you looked for a bend in the skeg, have you tweaked your prop some how, do you have all of your gear stowed on one side of the boat, are both batteries mounted on one side of the engine, do your passengers all ride on your side of the boat, have you been up under the bow to look for anything strange? Start looking for the obvious culprits, get the tabs up and keep them up, and get some marina help if you need it.

Good luck,

blackhawk
08-03-2005, 01:12 PM
A agree with RT. Check everything he said to check. And the #1 question is how many people were in the boat with you, how big were they and where were they sitting? If you have 3 people in the boat and the third is sitting on the port side a boat will definitely list! It's amazing how even a small 100 lb girl in the back makes a difference!

And hook is not put into a hull to slow it down, if it is put there on purpose it is for control. However, I have heard(never seen) of hook being in a hull on accident when they pull it from the mold, which could happen just on one side? I doubt Donzi would let that slide but you may want to check for peace of mind.

I had a trim tab start operating slower than the other that caused this problem.

blueliner
08-03-2005, 01:22 PM
went down to the boat to check for hooks. there are 2 of the same on both sides so it is not that. i was the only one in the boat, my wife doesn't like going that fast. all of the gear is in the ski storage, in the center and my anchor is in the storage between the seats. rear storage is nothing to speak of. i am going out in a couple hours to try some stuff. spoke to richard at donzi and said the sea trial was 74 mph w/ 30% tab and 50% trim. he said the boat will list to the port slightly at that speed from torque. maybe the 6 on my tab indicator is not really just that. i know the numbers are irrelevant in terms of degrees. but maybe a 6 isn't truly a 6. to me 6 should represent 60% but maybe the indicator is just not that accurate, so the 6 is really a 2. i will see and report back. trying to get a hydro 24p but they are backordered for at least a month. if anyone knows of one or is interested in selling please pm me or e-mail

thanks

blackhawk
08-03-2005, 01:36 PM
Definitely shouldn't do it with just you in the boat! Check and make sure your indicators are "in sync" with the tabs. Have you tried running with the tabs all the way up?

I just read your other post and I see you did try. I would verify that the right tabs is coming all the way up. Your indicator could be off.

Sam
08-03-2005, 01:44 PM
Blueliner, are you looking for a 24" Q4 ? if so I know where one is at, PM me.

Sam

Moody Blu'
08-03-2005, 01:54 PM
no prop torque over 4400 rpms HA!!!

I have to have a death grip on my steering wheel anywhere above 3500 rpms. :toiletpap

Greg K
08-03-2005, 02:51 PM
i had put a post about my boat leaning to the left at wot. he said that he has never heard of prop torque at that high an rpm. usually he said it is up to 4400 rpm after that it should go away. anyone have any thoughts...

Very common for the 22 to lean to the left. I only use my tabs to level it out or in real heavy slop. Easy way to correct is raise the tabs all the way up, get on plane and to cruise speed...you'll notice it leaning now. Drop your left or port tab till you feel it's level and enjoy. Prop torque is the reason it leans, just a reaction to the forces on the prop transfered to the hull. From my experience at higher speeds, the lean lessens a small degree.

No trim indicators....all by the seat of my shorts.

tmdog
08-03-2005, 05:36 PM
Talk to Steveo440. We prop tested his 22C w/ 454 on the lake today. He went home happy. I had my 18 C out w/ him and had a good time. He tried several props and all reacted differently. He got him a sweet ride now. Not to mention that he blows my doors off.

blackhawk
08-03-2005, 09:17 PM
Are you guys leaning even when trimmed out at WFO? My boat will lean at slower speeds and when trimmed in but as I start trimming out it goes away.