PDA

View Full Version : volvo ultra questions

mattyboy
08-03-2005, 08:58 AM
I thought the volvo ultra was a solid hub prop well as usual I am wrong
I spun the hub last night, and had to go back to the solid hub spinelli which is a handfull, my question is has anyone rehubbed an ultra and how did it hold up ?? and when re hubbing a prop should there be anything specific to ask for in a higher hp application to make it last longer???

penbroke
08-03-2005, 09:38 AM
This thread (http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=499&highlight=ultra) may shed a little light on the subject. What is the pitch of the Ultra?

Frank

Marlin275
08-03-2005, 10:30 AM
Matty,

I rehubbed my Ultra three times before it was done right.
Spun it out on Greenwood tree stump lake.
The guys at Greenwood Small Craft Marina did it right and has lasted four years now.
Call Bob or Richard @ 973-728-9666.
They had a guy that knows what he is doing !

BERTRAM BOY
08-04-2005, 12:00 PM
Matty,
You need to ship that prop to me........I'm not going send it back though.

Moody Blu'
08-04-2005, 02:00 PM
tucekrton propellor did my prop for 50-60 bux bro, if the guy in greenwood does it for more then give the prop to me and ill have it done in a week.

Craig
08-04-2005, 08:52 PM
Like Broque's (and on his recommendation), I too sent my aluminum prop to Tuckerton Props for re-hubbing just a couple of weeks ago. George (the owner) did a real nice job for a good price. I ran the ole' Holman Moody Volvo pretty hard for the past 5 days on a boating vacation and the prop (a 14x23 Michigan Wheel prop) did great.

JimG
08-09-2005, 07:49 AM
Mike Hood Prop Service did mine, no problems so far. If it spins again, I'll weld it up solid...

Marlin275
08-09-2005, 02:19 PM
Matty,
Who did you use and how did it turn out with your hub?

Moody Blu'
08-09-2005, 05:32 PM
put it this way im pushin 380-400hp with a SHORT HUB. ive been runnin this prop hard and it hasnt blown out yet. short hubs are known for blowing with a fair amount of HP. So id say tuckerton propellor is A-1 in my book, alogn with the fact that they rehubbed it, repitch, cupped and balanced for about 150 bux. cant beat that.

mattyboy
08-09-2005, 06:10 PM
I posted some pics on sat but i guess when the boards crashed they got lost
I have 2 guys locally, I want to have a different hub pressed into it and have it worked a little , checking references now I'll keep everyone posted

Craig
08-10-2005, 09:23 AM
Hey Broque - Tuckerton rehubbed, repitched, and recupped mine for $103.00!

But mine was an aluminum prop. Probably explains the difference. But you're right; that's a good bit of work for the bucks, I think.

Moody Blu'
08-11-2005, 05:51 PM
Hey Broque - Tuckerton rehubbed, repitched, and recupped mine for $103.00!

But mine was an aluminum prop. Probably explains the difference. But you're right; that's a good bit of work for the bucks, I think.
did you let them know i sent you? also, how is your prop running now?

Craig
08-12-2005, 08:38 PM
Yep - We discussed your prop (from what you've said here). He said "you don't see many of them anymore."

Mine is exceptionally "smooth." He altered the pitch down a tad and removed a slight amount of the cup trying to get rpm's up a little.

At first, I thought it didn't help the rpm's, but I think running on the middle pin of the old Volvo, it has helped a bit, and again it is so smooth.

I had some vibration before the rehubbing. I guess it was "on it's way" to slipping.

It's really nice now. Thanks again for the lead. George is a real nice guy and seems to do good work at a reasonable price.

Marlin275
09-03-2005, 09:19 AM
Matty,

You ever get this fixed?

mattyboy
09-04-2005, 10:53 AM
no not yet, I am running a 25 chopper right now, with the gas prices and the
length of my season ( the Lake is scheduled for draw down in the beginning of oct) I figured I'll wait til the season ends then have it rehubbed and repitched to a 23 or 24 if possible
from what I have heard it is one guy who does all the prop work for all the marinas on the lake
so that money put aside for the repair will go to gas for now and I get it fixed when the boating is done

Thanks for all the leads guys :)