PDA

View Full Version : Feedback please on new 22' Aronow Edition

stoalit
08-03-2005, 08:25 AM
Hello - my name is Diane and I am a new member; we live in South Florida (W. Palm Beach area) and have made arrangements to buy a New 2005 Red Aronow Edition 22' Donzi. We sea-trialed it yesterday, and I would say the seas were 3-4 feet. I felt the boat never got on plane and infact, going a moderate speed, my husband turned to come back into the inlet, and the boat turned almost on its side. I thought we were going to tip.

We have had 2 other boats, so boating is not new to us. We have had a Cranchi express cruiser which was bigger and heavier (wider beam), and had turbo diesel engines so it went about 55mph. We also had an Excalibur, which was a speed boat, also bigger (older - with an all teak top), with an 8' beam.

I have never felt afraid with such low seas in a boat like I did yesterday. Since this is a new boat, I am wondering if this is the design of the boat, and truly it's made to only go on flat seas and general flat conditions. Or, have you or any of your members discovered any tricks or additional equipment that overcomes the instability we all felt. Any feedback you could give would be greatly appreciated

Marlin275
08-03-2005, 08:39 AM
. . . going a moderate speed, my husband turned to come back into the inlet, and the boat turned almost on its side. I thought we were going to tip.

No, the boat will not turn over, that is just one of the thrills of a Donzi, deep V hull. Turns on a dime and gives you change. After some experience you will master this and enjoy the performance, Welcome aboard!

gcarter
08-03-2005, 08:41 AM
These are deep Vee hulls with round keels. They will do things like this at below planing speeds. You just have to learn to compensate, particularly with larger loads.
If you get the boat up to speed, all is forgotten. :yes:

BTW, Welcome!
There are a number of Donzi owners in your area.
Jim Collins- Catch 22 and Baby Donzi who has a good performing 22ZX.

olredalert
08-03-2005, 09:14 AM
Diane,

--------Welcome! You will find that seat time for both you and your husband is of utmost importance. You will gain a bunch of trust in your new purchase as time goes on. Just remember that it isnt an express cruiser and has a different design purpose than one. You both should take your time and feel your way into your new purchase as it will ultimatly be a great experience and a bunch of fun............Bill S

donzi182003
08-03-2005, 09:55 AM
Diane,

I have gone out of Jupiter Inlet on a 2004 22' Classic anniversary edition over 30 times. It is not unsafe at all and if you have gone out of Jupiter you know how bad it gets. We have never stuffed the bow or felt threatened at all. I have an 18C and if I turn the wheel all the way over it rides on the rubrail, so do my two buddies 22 C's. These boats turn very very sharp. It is their nature. People have gotten very scared on my boat with the turning. But I can assure you it will not turn over. And if you do not turn it all the way it will not lean like that. Have fun with your new boat.

Ed

Barry Phillips
08-03-2005, 09:59 AM
NO FEAR, your Aronow Edition 22 will grow on you. The rail dragging turns are a hoot, although my wife gets a little anxious when I roll our 22 on her side. I can tell from experience that 18s can turn in there own length. You can drag your elbow in the water. Your boat should run well in 2’ to 4’ chop, these boats love the rough stuff, but you will need some seat time to feel her out. The hull is a little narrow, so watch out for wakes from larger boats coming in at off angles at high speed. These are driver boats, they command some attention to run fast, but your AE 22 will reward you. Welcome aboard Diane. BP

blueliner
08-03-2005, 10:21 AM
diane,

like evryone has said. only seat time will help you w/ your aronow. i have aronow #5 and i have put 35 hours on her. i have grown a lot in those 35 hours on this boat. this is my first boat and she can scare the piss at of you. take it easy and learn what she can do. i too was very nervous the first time i had her out in some rough stuff. but from my brief experience (and guys chime in if i am wrong) but faster is better in the slop. in the beginning i was nervous about going quick in the rough stuff so i would slow doen to about 35 or 40 mph. and that is when it got really bad. getting tossed everywhere. now i am cruising at 60-65 mph trim up and gliding across the tops of those same waves and the ride is unreal. mu buddy and i were out the other day, (2 foot chop) and he couldn't believe how the boat was performing. he said he had never seen anything like it. so welcome to the board, good luck w/ your purchase, and know you are one of seven to own a aronow (mine is blue)

Dr. Dan
08-03-2005, 10:24 AM
:beer: Welcome Aboard, I agree with the comments above, these are Drivers Boats...not at all like any of your previous described Toys. But Cool as Hell to quote Scott Pearson( a respected member here). Seat Time...come to some local Events, meet some other owners...we are having our Owners Rally in Sarasota October 15th. Check the Events Section and get Registered and come over...a great time.

Again Welcome to the Sickness

Doc of the Bay :smash:
www.atlanticcoastdonzi.com

RickSE
08-03-2005, 10:58 AM
I get the same comments all the time, people just can't believe how well the 22 (& 18C) handles rough water. They expect to get bounced around or thrown out of the boat, but on the contrary we're passing all the boats on top of the rough water.

Don't give up on the 22. Give it some time and you'll love it.

BUIZILLA
08-03-2005, 11:54 AM
If your used to a boat with 6' of freeboard, then 16" might be a cool difference. :beer:

Jim

smoothie
08-03-2005, 12:17 PM
I dont know what 3 to 4 ft seas are like on the ocean,but up here on the north coast(lake erie) its a small craft warning,no way would you get it on plane...now with 1 to 2's its a great ride and 2 to 3's its a rough ride...

cigarette30
08-03-2005, 12:48 PM
I dont know what 3 to 4 ft seas are like on the ocean,but up here on the north coast(lake erie) its a small craft warning,no way would you get it on plane...now with 1 to 2's its a great ride and 2 to 3's its a rough ride...

Guys (& Ladies) I am afraid I agree with Smooth, the 22' LOA and lighter wieght, it's really for 2's max, then I think it respectively starts to beat hard, even "bang" at times. The turning (trimmed under) is awesome, and like others, put thier arm in the water for a scare :bawling: In any case, you will love you new boat Dianne, just understand its a "sports" car, not a Rolls Royce .... and a blast to master.

MOP
08-03-2005, 03:22 PM
I would think a large bay would be similar to a big lake in wave height, most of my running on Peconic Bay are 20 mile or better runs. Most afternoons the breeze kicks up to 20-25KTS, I have to do these long runs on a very regular basis as I use my boat for work and play. Last year when it got rough I ran at 4100rpm which gave me 50mph and rode on top which amazed many of my customers, more importantly I have a very bad back the 22 got me home without killing my back. This season I have been experimenting with a surfacing drive, it had killed the high speed rough running. I have purchased a new Bravo to be able to enjoy the boat until I get to try the right props for the surface drive. Like above it takes seat time to be able to enjoy the full benefits of any deep V performance hull. Once you two get the hang of it you will love it!

Phil

Moody Blu'
08-03-2005, 03:45 PM
the 18 and 22 shine in rough water, more so for the 22.
I have had my donzi 18c since i was 14 years old. Give it time and youll by flying along top of 3-4 foot waves.

I beg to differ on the 3-4 foot seas, if you drive the boat right it skims along top. MORE SO with a 22.

gcarter
08-03-2005, 03:58 PM
the 18 and 22 shine in rough water, more so for the 22.
I have had my donzi 18c since i was 14 years old. Give it time and youll by flying along top of 3-4 foot waves.

I beg to differ on the 3-4 foot seas, if you drive the boat right it skims along top. MORE SO with a 22.
It depends on the pitch (the distance between peaks) of the waves. The greater the pitch, the more likely you can plane on 4' waves.

DONZI
08-03-2005, 04:46 PM
Welcome to the board Diane.
It sounds like you guys made the turn at a fairly slow speed and this will scare you not knowing how the boat will pitch on it"s side.If you were going probably a little faster it wouldn't have pitched over soo much.Assuming the tabs were correctly positioned also.It comes with knowing the boat.The 22C in 1'to 2' conditions is an absolute thrill to drive.3' to 4' conditions take some experience and still not all that pleasant.

smoothie
08-03-2005, 05:28 PM
It depends on the pitch (the distance between peaks) of the waves. The greater the pitch, the more likely you can plane on 4' waves.

George are we cutting threads here or driving boats :biggrin.: I would think if the distance (pitch) is less between waves a small boat will bridge across...

gcarter
08-03-2005, 06:20 PM
George are we cutting threads here or driving boats :biggrin.: I would think if the distance (pitch) is less between waves a small boat will bridge across...
It's unlikely you'll find any 4' waves an 18'-22' boat can bridge, they just don't happen that way. Probably the shortest pitch you'll find for 4' waves is 25'. I'm not talking about "washing machines", but real waves that have real form. It's more likely 4' waves would have 30'-50' pitch and you would be airborne a substantial amount of the time.

cigarette30
08-03-2005, 06:47 PM
Outdrive in the air, hull in the air, and someones a__ in the air ! :smash: Seriously, true 3' -4' waves back to back, would be so uncomfortable, wet and or hard on occupants and boat, none would do well for long. I also have a 30', and honestly thats not enough, to really make "crest to crest" of the average "cycle" or pitch of 4' waves, and be what I would consider comfortable or fun, just a fact.

gcarter
08-03-2005, 06:56 PM
That's why the current crop of offshore race boats are as long as they are.

smoothie
08-03-2005, 07:13 PM
It's unlikely you'll find any 4' waves an 18'-22' boat can bridge, they just don't happen that way. Probably the shortest pitch you'll find for 4' waves is 25'. I'm not talking about "washing machines", but real waves that have real form. It's more likely 4' waves would have 30'-50' pitch and you would be airborne a substantial amount of the time.

Well...thats what I thought I said...BTW 4' wave with a 50' pitch sounds like a Tsunami wave to me :D

Moody Blu'
08-03-2005, 08:05 PM
Outdrive in the air, hull in the air, and someones a__ in the air !

yep, i love it. just need a good steering and throttle hand.
3' is a bit easier then 4' but its been done.
ive been in 3 footers with 3 passengers with my buddy in a fastech on the front/side of me, he said hes never seen a boat so small handle waves like that.No ones ass was in the air either. next time we do it were gonna have my buddies fastech in front/side of me video taping it.obviously it was like a light chop for his boat.

granted, I only do it for abouta mile or 2 then slow down and calm myself down, its an amazing rush.

the point is, these boats are amazing they will go through water that larger "race" boats would be having trouble with, BAJA comes to mind. Besides baja they still give larger, quality race boats a reminder to WATCH OUT for those donzis.

buy the boat you will not regret it.

joseph m. hahnl
08-03-2005, 08:39 PM
yes yes yes: it is a modified v hull and it takes a little to get youst to the roll
ther is nothing unstable bout the boat it is as they have all said it's in the pilot.
"in the hand of the operator". once mastered you will see that all of the other boats you have owned were acually the unstable boat. the precsion handling of a donzi is unrievaled by any other boat manufacter.

joe

MOP
08-04-2005, 10:00 AM
I agree with George wave freqency has a lot has to with the ride, my riding in 3-4 fott stuff is in a shallow bay with close waves. I try to stay in 3-5 foot deep water which keeps the waves pretty tight together, when I run out of the local inlet it is a different story, It is great fun an elevator ride as I call it, but if it kicks up it is throttle back time but still no problem getting back. I have had to ride the back of a few steep one several times!

Phil