PDA

View Full Version : Battery Saver????

Tidbart
08-02-2005, 06:52 AM
Who makes a good battery saver? I am looking for one. I thought I had seen them in the past, but can't remember where.
I am actually looking to put one on my truck as it doesn't get used very often. The security system slowly drains the battery to the point it won't start when it sits for a couple of weeks.
Anyone use one on their boats??? :cistineb:

Bob

Mr X
08-02-2005, 07:18 AM
Who makes a good battery saver? I am looking for one. I thought I had seen them in the past, but can't remember where.
I am actually looking to put one on my truck as it doesn't get used very often. The security system slowly drains the battery to the point it won't start when it sits for a couple of weeks.
Anyone use one on their boats??? :cistineb:

Bob

Bob,
this is the best one on the planet.

http://www.batterycountry.com/ShopSite/product135.html

Tidbart
08-02-2005, 07:38 AM
Thanks Ted. :wink:

Bob

txtaz
08-02-2005, 07:55 AM
Bob,
this is the best one on the planet.

http://www.batterycountry.com/ShopSite/product135.html
Yep, those are the best. I use them on everything.
Wes

Tidbart
08-02-2005, 09:19 AM
Looking at the specs on this thing, it appears to be a charger that needs AC to run.
I think I am looking for an automatic disconnecting device, self-sustaining, that would remove the battery from the circuit when the charge gets too low. Not a charger, I have one of those.

Bob

MOP
08-02-2005, 10:25 AM
I have the one in the middle for $30 it is the size of a license plate, it keeps my Buick or Sub fully charged when I leave them at the airport for 2-3 weeks. Both are battery hogs, they get weak after about 6-8 days but not with that panel.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?subdeptNum=544&jspStoreDir=wm51&catalogId=10001&categoryId=592&storeNum=9&keyword=solar&langId=-1&y=0&x=0&storeId=10001

Phil

MOP
08-02-2005, 11:05 AM
The small panel is only a 2 Watt jobbie it will not over charge the battery, I had one on my sail boat for 5 years which was permanently hooked to small 12V tractor battery. Always worked fine for lights at night and my depth finder and speed indicators, I got a little over 3 years out of the first battery but sold it before I could see how the other $39 one lasted.

Phil

CHACHI
08-02-2005, 11:47 AM
Have been using Deltran's Battery Tender for 8-10 years. Have them on watercraft, sleds, boat, motorcycle, and generator. Had one go bad, Deltran replaced it n/c. Great company. Ken

Tidbart
08-02-2005, 12:34 PM
I think I found something that is more on the lines of what I am looking for in a device.
http://www.prioritystart.com/
The Deltran product, is probably great, and the solar panel would work also, but I am interested in something that is maintenance and attachment free.
I would have to plug in the Deltran, and the solar panel would have to be installed and removed as necessary.
Thanks guys.

This Priority Start unit looks very interesting. I will get one and try it out, then post my observations :rolleyes: , if anyone is interested.

Bob :)

smokediver
08-02-2005, 12:54 PM
Bob , we are all interested in your feelings :biggrin.:

Tidbart
08-03-2005, 07:00 AM
But we're more interested in what your new boat is going to be.. :D :D :D

It disconnects the battery. What happens to the alarm then?? And, when you step on the brake to reacivate it, wont the alarm go off? For that matter, if your gong to let it disconnect the al;arm, why not just valet switch the alarm?

And why is this in the performance section?? Wheres a mod when ya need one?? :eek:

It just seemed like a simple question. I should have known better.
I figured somebody used these in their boats as they have a marine model. Nothing worse than hopping in your boat for a quick cruise and finding a dead battery. Same goes for my truck. Before you ask, :smile: , If you don't want the bilge pump to disconnect you wire it ahead of this device. :boggled:
As for the alarm, it as well as everything else will shut off. The alternative is to leave the alarm on and have a dead battery sooner. I usually leave the alarm off at the house and just lock the truck.
Hey Mod, move this to another section, will ya?