PDA

View Full Version : Is the 377 Scorpion still available

JPR
08-01-2005, 10:29 PM
I can't seem to find the 377 on the merc website. I'm looking for max reliable power from a small block (ie with a warranty etc...) Anyone have any ideas?

Cuda
08-01-2005, 10:38 PM
They are out of production, but I think there are some left overs. Might check Victory Marine in Texas. That's the last place I saw them. Myself, I'd go with the black 6.2's. I doubt there would be a lot of difference in performance, but a whole lot of difference in price.

ChromeGorilla
08-01-2005, 10:39 PM
I agree with Cuda...... 6.2 MPI

JPR
08-01-2005, 10:43 PM
Are they offering anything more than 320 HP out of the 6.2?

Mr X
08-01-2005, 10:48 PM
Sorry Cuda, I am going to have to disagree with ya. ;)
There is a lot of differance between the black Scorpion 377, the black Scorpion 350 and the black 6.2 MPI

The 377 Blue Scorpion comes from Mercury Racing and is totally hand built,
different crank, rods, pistons, lifters and rockers. It is all balanced and blueprinted as well. Many were used in the APBA circuit in the bat boats...
Almost none of them had to be touched other than oil changes for the entire season.

I have one still in the Mercury crate........not sure what to do with it now though.

There is a big differance in the acceleration and torque.

MOP
08-01-2005, 10:58 PM
The Scorpion is a great engine when assembled correctly, there have been a few posts up here about some of the problems that cropped up. Another direction you may want to explore would be the GM HT383, there are a few out by me and the guys rave about them, have a GM warentee. I could have saved a ton of bucks buying one instead of building mine. If you do a search there is a ton of articles about it.

Phil

Cuda
08-01-2005, 11:02 PM
Sorry Cuda, I am going to have to disagree with ya. ;)
There is a lot of differance between the black Scorpion 377, the black Scorpion 350 and the black 6.2 MPI

The 377 Blue Scorpion comes from Mercury Racing and is totally hand built,
different crank, rods, pistons, lifters and rockers. It is all balanced and blueprinted as well. Many were used in the APBA circuit in the bat boats...
Almost none of them had to be touched other than oil changes for the entire season.

I have one still in the Mercury crate........not sure what to do with it now though.

There is a big differance in the acceleration and torque.
I don't doubt there is a difference in performance, especially in a racing application, but for the average weekend warrior, I don't think there is enough difference to justify the difference in price.

Btw, what do you want for the Scorp? :)

Mr X
08-01-2005, 11:19 PM
I don't doubt there is a difference in performance, especially in a racing application, but for the average weekend warrior, I don't think there is enough difference to justify the difference in price.

Btw, what do you want for the Scorp? :)

Cuda, good point......pricey for non-racing applications.

Shoot me an email at: tedwork@tampabay.rr.com

I might sell it if the blue X-18 sale goes thru, and do have a deposit on it as of today.

Lenny
08-01-2005, 11:29 PM
The HT 383 makes more torque and very close ponies to the 377 blue motor. I sold one a while back. (1 1/2 ago)

For $3800 US the HT383 is a no brainer. Then, for about $1500 more, you get to 500 ft pounds :eek:

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/66278/

It is a good read. :yes:

Magicallbill
08-02-2005, 01:17 AM
As some of you know, I am the owner of an 02 377 Scorpion 18.
The engine is as smooth and powerful as anyone would want. Incredible mid-range power and good top-end.
I paid $48,000 for the boat,engine&trailer.(It listed at $55,000.) Other than having a payment book as thick as a dictionary and replacing the Bravo XZ drive twice on the thing,it's been marvelous.(The drives leaked blue drive lube.Casting problem..I think they've discontinued the XZ Drive also....)
Here's the rub..
My son Jason has a 300HP 350 Mag with an Alpha on his 18.
They are within a mile-an-hour or two at top speed.

We paid $33,000.00 or so for his rig new..

We compare these boats all the time. There is not $15000.00 worth of performance difference between them.

The 377 is a great engine,but on the 18 it's not worth the extra cash.
If you settle for the still-available 6.2(320HP,I think,) you'll probably be close to the same speed as the 350,maybe just a tick faster.

Of course, my only experience is with the 18's,but to do over again,I'd get the 350-Alpha pak;Tried-and-true,no replacing drives like I did with the XZ,and save enough to by a second car.

Magical Bill

blackhawk
08-02-2005, 02:43 PM
MB, wow $15k is a big price difference! But at least you have some peace of mind with the Bravo hanging off the back! And one helluva sweet azz boat! :D

Isn't the Scorpion rated at around 340-350 hp at the prop? That's not a lot of hp difference for the money which is probably why it's no longer available.

Like Cuda said for the racer the blue motor is probably bulletproof but for the weekend guy not a big diff.

Magicallbill
08-02-2005, 06:39 PM
Blackhawk;
Your kind words about the boat are appreciated;Thanks...
The 377 is rated 350 Propshaft HP.
I think your right;Not a ton of HP gain for the buck...
The other reason I think they discontinued it(And I'm referring only to the 18 Classic) is that they sold only 3 in '02. Kraven has the 1st;I have the 2nd,and I hear the 3rd went to Canada. I've heard from a guy,(can't remember his handle on the board)that has an '03,but the fact remains that there were not many takers for the Scorpion Pak. I would think that had something to do with it. As I stated in my previous post, If I did it over again, I'd have the Mag.
One other thing;Not that we buy these things for fuel mileage,but Jason's Mag gets significantly better range than mine.
I'm sorry to see the Scorpion Engine go. It's a masterpiece of modern engineering;Just pricey.
MB

ChromeGorilla
08-02-2005, 06:55 PM
Don't forget the Donzi deckboat here in town with the whippled scorpion.... :yes: :eek!:

JPR
08-02-2005, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, very practical analysis comparing bang-for-buck in small blocks. I suspect that for all out speed the drive that the motor is attached to makes the biggest difference of all, then the additional hp would really pay off.

DonCig
08-02-2005, 10:37 PM
Speed is measured in 1 mph increments, but paid for in very large increments ($$$$).

The best advice I was ever given was to buy the boat configured the way you would build it, and then enjoy it. (Hard to find most of the time.)

DonCig

olredalert
08-02-2005, 11:46 PM
------I bought a Scorpion crated motor from Victory marine for my Corsican and would not repeat the experience as it lasted only 3 hours due to two big-block roller lifters being installed in place of the correct roller lifters. I think the sales guy at Victory made a sincere attempt to satisfy me but his attempt was almost worth less than nothing as the second long block he sent me was a used salt water rebuild with every cylinder out of round. His statement to me was that he could no longer get new long blocks so he had to send me a rebuild. He never did answer my question as to why he would send me the junk he did end up sending me. In the end I took everything to Tyler Crockett and added a set of fast burn heads as well as a programable computer to get what I wanted. I dont even want to get into what I spent on this whole project, although I like how it turned out! Well over 400ft.lbs. of torque are giving me the acceleration I wanted. Havent figured out the top end yet as Im getting some chine walk but I have a feeling it will be half way to 80 when I get the CW tamed............Bill S

Mr X
08-03-2005, 07:06 AM
------I bought a Scorpion crated motor from Victory marine for my Corsican and would not repeat the experience as it lasted only 3 hours due to two big-block roller lifters being installed in place of the correct roller lifters. I think the sales guy at Victory made a sincere attempt to satisfy me but his attempt was almost worth less than nothing as the second long block he sent me was a used salt water rebuild with every cylinder out of round. His statement to me was that he could no longer get new long blocks so he had to send me a rebuild. He never did answer my question as to why he would send me the junk he did end up sending me. In the end I took everything to Tyler Crockett and added a set of fast burn heads as well as a programable computer to get what I wanted. I dont even want to get into what I spent on this whole project, although I like how it turned out! Well over 400ft.lbs. of torque are giving me the acceleration I wanted. Havent figured out the top end yet as Im getting some chine walk but I have a feeling it will be half way to 80 when I get the CW tamed............Bill S

Bill,
my experiance with Victory Marie was horrible as well. In fact their is an entire thread about it on this site. But I do not want to beat a dead horse, as they are now a registry approved vendor.

ChromeGorilla
08-03-2005, 07:08 AM
as they are now a registry approved vendor.
I saw that too. First thing that came to mind was your story and now Bill's...... :rolleyes:

olredalert
08-03-2005, 09:02 AM
Oh curley one,

---------I thought of that in the middle of the night and wondered if anyone would catch it. I had 70mph on the brain as I was typing and it didnt occur to me that all of you wouldnt be reading my mind!!!!!!! But even 40 would be a hell of an improvement over last year.
---------As far as that "old timer" comment. Guilty as charged! Youll be there soon enough. I just hope Im around to see it.LOL!!!...........Bill S