PDA

View Full Version : Bravo 1 prop??

boatnut
08-01-2005, 10:27 PM
Hi guys, I read a lot on here about Mirage props and Turbo props -- but haven't noticed any comments on a Mercury prop, the "Bravo 1" this is the model number written on the prop, the one I have is a 4 blade, almost new and on a '97 22 Classic I just bought. Does anyone have any comments pro or con on this prop? I will soon gather some data when I can run the boat to see if the prop is correct or if I should consider something else. thks, Ed

DonCig
08-02-2005, 07:24 AM
Ed, try the Bravo prop. I am one of the proponents that there are no bad props, just poor applications. I had the pleasure of finding that the Bravo 1 was the best prop for my application, after trying 13 different props from the top 3 manufacturers (Merc., Hydro, Turbo.)

The only prop that I did not try was the Merc. Rev. 4, due to the limited pitch range.

If you want to have a good starting point you need to provide the following info so that the registry members can give you their advice:
Boat Model-
Engine Model & HP-
Outdrive Model-
Outdrive Gear Ratio-
Altitude if significantly above sea level-
Current Prop mfg. & pitch-
Current performance of boat, preferably in GPS-
Primary usage- cruising, tubing, high speed running, etc.
Any engine or performance mods-

We all have our favorite prop guru, and mine is a gentleman by the name of Brett Anderson at www.bbades.com (http://www.bbades.com/).

Good luck in your trials.

DonCig

roadtrip se
08-02-2005, 08:01 AM
Don is right. The Bravo is a great prop for his setup.

On my boat, it plowed the nose in three different pitches, due too much stern lift. My boat has a lot of lift any way due to the way it is set up, so I'm looking for props with more nose lift. I got the impression when running a Bravo 1 that it was only a matter of time, before the bow was going to submarine.

I like the mirage plus, hydro q4, and turbo txp. I've tried a lot of other stuff figuring that out.

And I really like the people at Throttle-up.

boatnut
08-02-2005, 09:54 AM
thanks for the great info guys, I will do some testing and gather all the info, I suspect the prop (drive and prop were changed due to theft in the boat storage yard shortly before I bought the boat) has too much pitch as it is marked 28P and the boat is a standard 1997 7.4L MCM Bravo 1 with a 1.5 ratio. --- it seems like a lot of prop for what I assume to be 300HP in a 22.