PDA

View Full Version : stern drive trim tab anode

joseph m. hahnl
08-01-2005, 07:15 PM
my trim tab anode loosend up . it was shot so i replaced it.
what is the correct procedure foe setting the angle?

joe

boatnut
08-01-2005, 07:53 PM
I believe its purpose is to eliminate/minimize torque steer. I would start with it straight and make minor adjustments until you eliminate the torque steer (you should be able to let go of the wheel and the boat will go straight) at the speed you like to cruise at. Possibly others will have a more scientific method?? Ed

MOP
08-01-2005, 09:16 PM
If you have power steering you can leave it straight for best speed, the newer anodes are flat with no fin. With non assist try to get no feed back at you most used speed.

Phil

Formula Jr
08-03-2005, 07:32 AM
RH prop rotation: Start with the anode tab in line with the drive. Then progressively turn it so that the back of the fin moves to the port side of the drive. Adjust to port till your steering is neutral where you want it. Few boats are neutral steering all the way thru from idle to wot. You pick where you want it to be neutral, I like 8 to 9/10ths throttle as neutral and one of mine is kicked over pretty far with manual steering. You might want it even steering at WOT or at your favorite cruising speed. Its up to you.
Even if you have NO pull on the wheel due to power steering, I still think these tabs serve a small function on launching from a wave and other wise balancing the boat some and relieving the steering system of stress. I can feel a very slight difference in how a launch will roll with and without these tabs, this is independent of the steering feedback. One of my boats, doesn't need one for steering feedback, but I have one on anyway, to counter this slight roll effect.
In general, you move the back of the fin in the same direction as the pull till its neutral somewhere in the range that you like to run most of the time.

blueliner
08-03-2005, 10:25 AM
i have posted that my boat leans to the left in wot conditions due to prop torque. does my bravo x drive have this anode and if so, would adjusting help w/ the torque steer or is it just the prop itself.

thanks

RickSE
08-03-2005, 11:07 AM
Blue,
You should have the anode. It's a round zinc disk about 2-3" in diameter mounted flush just above the prop fins on the drive, on the underside of the cavitation plate, flat plate above the prop. I believe this will only counteract torque steer at the steering wheel and won't affect the torque lean. I may be wrong though, anyone else?

MOP
08-03-2005, 02:38 PM
The older fin type anodes were the only way to compensate for prop torque, soon after power steering was introduced most manufacturers went to flat plates finding the fins were necessary. The bugger is if you break a power steering belt it is tough enough to get back to the dock and now add prop torque to fight against.

Phil