PDA

View Full Version : fish finder over depth sounder

joseph m. hahnl
07-31-2005, 07:42 PM
i want to be able to know the depth of water i'm in. and a depth sounder is nice that it is gauge like and would fit in the dash. but on the other hand i like that the fish finder you can see the bottom and the countour of it. but the screen looks to take up alot of room and would look out of place.

what types of sounders do you use?
what is the difference between thru hull and in hull transducer?
for instance the humminbird depth sounder or fish finder is an in hull/or transom mount transducer.
if i put it in the hull will the temprature still work?

joe

smokediver
08-01-2005, 05:47 AM
No , it won't read the water temp just the bottom mounting it inside the hull . you will also have to make a little mount for it inside to make it flat and not on an angle ... if it were me i would just get the gauge style depth sounder . use your hand as a temp gauge :p

zimm17
08-01-2005, 06:35 AM
I put a Garmin 188C in my dad's 7 meter Donzi. Original purpose was to verify when over a ship wreck after driving to the GPS waypoint and then to scuba dive on it. Never ended up getting the boat out into the gulf. It was way overkill for use as a depth finder. Temp works on the transom mount sender. Or you can read the newpaper and see what the sea temp is...

I'm going with a little depth finder with a in-hull transducer, then if want GPS, I can get a smaller chartplotter that will hopefully fit in the corner behind my windshield.

Ron
08-01-2005, 01:04 PM
I went with a Hummingbird w/GPS. Several reasons why. The large size of font used I can read it without putting my reading glasses on (this was the main reason), has GPS with speed, can read bottom in several views, can log waypoints to find my way home if needed, you can get chips for almost anywhere so you have current bottom charts and it was probably the least expensive of all I looked at. I can also throw it in the water, pull it out and rinse it off, a little towel drying and plug it back in. The thing is water resistant to a point where if it takes a bath it is supposed to keep working. It cost me about $590.00 and the chip was a little more. You can use it without the chip, the chip just gives a current chart of water, buoys, etc.

I put a Garmin 188C in my dad's 7 meter Donzi. Original purpose was to verify when over a ship wreck after driving to the GPS waypoint and then to scuba dive on it. Never ended up getting the boat out into the gulf. It was way overkill for use as a depth finder. Temp works on the transom mount sender. Or you can read the newpaper and see what the sea temp is...

I'm going with a little depth finder with a in-hull transducer, then if want GPS, I can get a smaller chartplotter that will hopefully fit in the corner behind my windshield.